The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Equal Value ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103657)

Deluxe Delivery Don 04-17-2013 05:40 PM

Equal Value ?

The 400 -A that is on EBay for around $35,000. Is a 255-A Special Delivery is in the same condition of equal value? They both are older restorations , which one would be worth more . Or would be about the same? Any thoughts, I know they both have pros & cons of use . One hauls people, the other one hauls Stuff.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-17-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Equal Value ?

From a "not seeing yourself coming up the road", the 255A probably has more appeal. The Conv. Sedan is more common at shows and meets. The downside is the 255A can be purchased complete in reproduction whereas the 400A cannot. I think the value lies solely in the desire someone places on either vehicle in how they plan to enjoy it. I personally like the looks of a 400A only when the top is down, ...and I feel most of them look terrible once the top has been lowered and then raised. Most of the time natural-wooded bodies are popular with spectators however not everyone enjoys driving a 255A due to blind spots towards the rear.

I guessed if I was forced to give an appraisal on two similiar vehicles, Yes I would think they would have very similiar values.

glenn in camino 04-17-2013 07:33 PM

I like to carry stuff.

Deluxe Delivery Don 04-17-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 634534)
From a "not seeing yourself coming up the road", the 255A probably has more appeal. The Conv. Sedan is more common at shows and meets. The downside is the 255A can be purchased complete in reproduction whereas the 400A cannot. I think the value lies solely in the desire someone places on either vehicle in how they plan to enjoy it. I personally like the looks of a 400A only when the top is down, ...and I feel most of them look terrible once the top has been lowered and then raised. Most of the time natural-wooded bodies are popular with spectators however not everyone enjoys driving a 255A due to blind spots towards the rear.

I guessed if I was forced to give an appraisal on two similiar vehicles, Yes I would think they would have very similiar values.

Brent , I love the look of the 400-A ,But when it comes to value they probably are equal comparing Apples w/ Apples in condition. Thanks for your input .

29ModelA 04-17-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 634534)

What happens to the top once you lower it, isn't it like any other convertible top?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-17-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29ModelA (Post 634634)
What happens to the top once you lower it, isn't it like any other convertible top?

Yes & no, ...they wrinkle and the binding (Loctite?) wrinkles. Never look the same afterwards and I do not like a "droopy" top that is not taunt.

Mike V. Florida 04-18-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn in camino (Post 634552)
I like to carry stuff.

To me the 400A is worth more as I like to carry people. That is why I like the cars that have rear seats. I quess if I were able to have a collection of A's I would have those vehicle with less seats on the days I want to drive alone. Just my 2 cents.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-18-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 634804)
To me the 400A is worth more as I like to carry people. That is why I like the cars that have rear seats. I quess if I were able to have a collection of A's I would have those vehicle with less seats on the days I want to drive alone. Just my 2 cents.

OK, rear seats are nice but what about having floor space for your feet? http://www.model-a-ford.com/LOL.gif

ronn 04-18-2013 02:12 PM

I believe there is more demand for the 400-so a slightly higher value.

Whatever the market will bear.... or bull.

ctlikon0712 04-18-2013 02:28 PM

I’m drawn to the wooden cars when I'm at a car show, of course I own one so..... I'm biased. That doesn't equate to fiscal value though. I think that with the advent of the aftermarket Delivery bodies, that that has for me taken away from some of the mystique.
I like to be able to ask the pretty girls "Want to ride my woodie?" :D