The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake drum wont go back on! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118645)

Mad Mac 09-27-2013 10:56 PM

Brake drum wont go back on!

After re-lining my rear RHS brake shoes I cannot fit the drum back on. :eek: It seems the linings are too thick for the drum to go on because even after pushing them on quite hard there is still a one inch gap between the backing plate and the drum. I have the brake adjusting screw turned all the way out (anti-clockwise) and have given the two wedge-pins a slight tap with a hammer to make sure they go all the way in. I have disconnected the service brake lever from its clevice, so it is moved fully rearwards and is not forcing the shoes apart. I have not yet installed the emergency brake so that is not the problem.What else can I do? The search function didn't yield any answers.
Mac

Chuck Sea/Tac 09-27-2013 11:05 PM

Re: Brake drum wont go back on!

Have you arced them to the drums? Who put the linings on, you or a shop? Or did you buy them done?

700rpm 09-27-2013 11:08 PM

Look at Bratton's catalog. They offer a thin and a thick lining. 3/16" vs 1/4". I suspect you have the thick. Are they woven or bonded?

ford3 09-27-2013 11:10 PM

sounds like the linings are to thick, if you did what you said all thats left to do is take them to a brake shop and have then arched, measure the linings and then measure the inside of the drum, see how much thicker the linings are than the drum, that is the amount that needs to be removed when the linings are arched

Purdy Swoft 09-27-2013 11:17 PM

When the lining is riveted to the brake shoe, the lining has a tendency to kick outward on the leading and trailing ends of the shoes. You need to grind a taper on the ends of the lining almost to the two holes that the heads of the lining rivets fits on both ends of the shoes. this is really a must with riveted lining. Another problem could be that the heads of the roller pins are not riding on the brake tracks. The cotter pins should face the outside so that the head of the roller pins ride on top of the tracks. You can't make the roller pins ride on the tracks with a hammer, they must be fitted by hand. This is a common problem that most have. Its not likely that the lining is too thick unless you ordered thicker lining.

700rpm 09-28-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 734177)
When the lining is riveted to the brake shoe, the lining has a tendency to kick outward on the leading and trailing ends of the shoes. You need to grind a taper on the ends of the lining almost to the two holes that the heads of the lining rivets fits on both ends of the shoes. this is really a must with riveted lining. Another problem could be that the heads of the roller pins are not riding on the brake tracks. The cotter pins should face the outside so that the head of the roller pins ride on top of the tracks. You can't make the roller pins ride on the tracks with a hammer, they must be fitted by hand. This is a common problem that most have. Its not likely that the lining is too thick unless you ordered thicker lining.

Very good answer, Purdy. What are you doing up so late? It must be about 1:00 AM in Alabam.

Mad Mac 09-28-2013 12:10 AM

Thanks for your quick responses. Some answers to your questions:

The linings are bonded, not riveted
It was done by a commercial brake repair outfit here in New Zealand
I sent the drums away with the shoes so I presume they are "arced".
They already ground off the leading edge of the linings (but I could do more)
The heads of the pins are on the inside with the split-pins showing on the outside
The rollers are riding correctly in their tracks (they weren't at the start but are now)
I did not order thicker lining or specify any particular thickness.
The brake repair company said over the phone that they knew about Model As and had done them before.
If it helps, I can measure the liner thickness and also show you a picture.
I certainly appreciate your help :)

Tom Wesenberg 09-28-2013 12:22 AM

Are the brake rods still off, so you are sure the cam is fully retracted?

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-28-2013 12:31 AM

Mac, since it is a rear, could the axle key possibly be sliding up into the shallow part of the keyway & binding up things?? Maybe try slipping the drum on without the key just to see if it helps?? Bill W.

Mad Mac 09-28-2013 01:06 AM

Tom: Yes, the brake rods are still off and the cam is fully retracted
Bill: The key is firmly in its groove and does not move

DUUHH!!! I just realised what the problem is: I wasn't lining the drum up with the key!!!! I am hugely embarrassed :o to admit that I made such an unbelievably stupid mistake. I am pleased to report that the drum now fits PERFECTLY. I will try not to bother you guys further unless I have a genuine problem :)

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-28-2013 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mac (Post 734209)
Tom: Yes, the brake rods are still off and the cam is fully retracted
Bill: The key is firmly in its groove and does not move

DUUHH!!! I just realised what the problem is: I wasn't lining the drum up with the key!!!! I am hugely embarrassed :o to admit that I made such an unbelievably stupid mistake. I am pleased to report that the drum now fits PERFECTLY. I will try not to bother you guys further unless I have a genuine problem :)

Yo, Mac, don't be MAD at yourself or embarrased, you are NO bother to us, me & the Dog:cool: have LOTS of time & really enjoy doing this. You'd laff yourself silly if I made a list of stuff I've done wrong in the past, I seem to have a knack for remembering those screw ups!! LOL The Dog:cool: just said, "RITDL"-----"What's that mean"?-----"ROLLING IN THE DIRT LAFFING"!! (Smart assed Dog:cool:!!) Bill W.

Purdy Swoft 09-28-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 734198)
Very good answer, Purdy. What are you doing up so late? It must be about 1:00 AM in Alabam.

Thanks Ray, We usually like to stay up late.

Flathead 09-28-2013 09:16 AM

Hey Mac, just be glad you figured it out!! That is all that matters, you got results. Carry on! :)