The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fan shroud 39 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276784)

aussie merc 02-16-2020 04:52 AM

fan shroud 39

hey guys does anyone know of someone that makes a shroud kit that will fit a 6 blade crank driven fan

flatjack9 02-16-2020 02:41 PM

Re: fan shroud 39

I bought a fiberglass shroud from Speedway that fit the radiator nicely. Had to cut the hole for the fan. Really helped the cooling in traffic at slow speeds.

drolston 02-16-2020 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures show the partial shroud I tried from Speedway. It zip-ties through the Champion aluminum radiator core. It leaves a big gap at the bottom. I added a spacer to get the fan blades just inside the shroud and about 1" from the core. I hoped it would help cooling at idle, but the improvement was minimal. Took about ten minutes at idle to overheat (210+) on a hot day, versus maybe five minutes without the shroud. A added a baffle and foam to block air flow around, over or under the radiator to improve cooling at interstate speeds (60+) on a hot day. Also minimal improvement. Biggest disappointment was adding Dennis Carpenter water pumps, designed to improve flow at idle, also made minimal improvement.

What fixed the problem was squeezing in a much bigger brass/copper truck radiator. Lesson: If you add 20% displacement and high compression, you better add 20% radiator area.

Charlie ny 02-16-2020 06:05 PM

At Flat Jacks suggestion I purchased a shroud from Speedway for my '41 1/2 ton, crank mounted fan. I installed the shroud up side down which nicely closed things up. I'm
running a genuine Ford radiator with no issues. Prior to the shroud it boiled in traffic.
Charlie ny

flatjack9 02-16-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1852600)
Pictures show the partial shroud I tried from Speedway. It zip-ties through the Champion aluminum radiator core. It leaves a big gap at the bottom. I added a spacer to get the fan blades just inside the shroud and about 1" from the core. I hoped it would help cooling at idle, but the improvement was minimal. Took about ten minutes at idle to overheat (210+) on a hot day, versus maybe five minutes without the shroud. A added a baffle and foam to block air flow around, over or under the radiator to improve cooling at interstate speeds (60+) on a hot day. Also minimal improvement. Biggest disappointment was adding Dennis Carpenter water pumps, designed to improve flow at idle, also made minimal improvement.

What fixed the problem was squeezing in a much bigger brass/copper truck radiator. Lesson: If you add 20% displacement and high compression, you better add 20% radiator area.

Shrouds like that are pretty much useless. you need to cover the entire radiator. That is not what I bought from Speedway. I believe they are made by Walker.

aussie merc 02-16-2020 06:28 PM

yeh now the drama trouble is a fan is to far from radiator to work at idle and about 1/3 of the fan sweep is actually below the core on a 39