The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I need help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266321)

Chiefguy 07-14-2019 05:34 PM

I need help

I got my 30 Model A Briggs Sedan running for a while, but contaminated fuel tank started it all down hill.
I tried another carb with a portable fuel tank.
Now she won't stay running after just a few revs. I just now can't get starter to engage. Bendix?
Is there anyone out there near Hermitage PA.
I am too I'll to do much more than an hour at a time.
Maybe three a day.
Been working on her since Nov.
HELP !!
[email protected]

Purdy Swoft 07-15-2019 10:34 AM

Re: I need help

Oil on the helix of the starter drive will cause the starter to motor but not engage . A bent or broken Bendix spring is another common problem that is caused by not retarding the spark lever when starting the engine .

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-15-2019 01:14 PM

Does the starter (whir)? That’s the bendix not engaging. You’ll need to pull starter. No noise at all, stuck starter( can you hand crank the engine, then not stuck started)
Your original problem of contaminated fuel. Take the original carb apart and clean. Reuse it. There’s a chance, assuming you’re correct re contamination, that the second carb isn’t working properly.

garyjohn 07-15-2019 09:05 PM

He is looking for some one living near him to give him a hand as his health prevents him for working on his car. I hope someone live near to give him a hand. I am on the other side of the country so I am unable to help. Come on Guys give him a hand

Pilotdave 07-15-2019 09:15 PM

Hermitage, PA looks to be about 30 miles west of the intersection of I-80 and I-79 and roughly the same distance east of Youngstown, Ohio. Hopefully there are some Forum members near him who could help out.

wmws 07-16-2019 07:38 AM

I would give you a hand but I’m on the other side of the state. There must be a club near you with knowledgeable people who would be willing to help.

garyjohn 07-19-2019 09:08 PM

I have reached out to some clubs in PA and hope that someone will respond so you can get your car going

Wick 07-20-2019 04:45 AM

I have helped Chief over the phone a few times. Heck of a nice guy. I'm too far away myself. The car just needs a good checking out,a little maintenance.
Wick

JohnB15632 07-20-2019 02:11 PM

I have contacted Chief. I live about an hour away. Waiting to hear back.

Thanks,

JohnB15632 07-21-2019 12:10 PM

Good AFternoon,

Memory is not so good. Am I correct in remembering, does the steering box need to be loosened of moved to get the starter out?

Thanks,

Purdy Swoft 07-21-2019 01:59 PM

The steering box doesn't need to be loosened or removed to remove the starter . You may need to remove the lower hose neck inlet on the drivers side of the block for access .

RRW 07-22-2019 03:04 PM

I have an early 30 Briggs Tudor.
When I replaced my Bendix I did not have to move or remove anything to remove my starter.
PS - if you buy a new Bendix be sure you remove the excess grease it may have on it from the 'dealer's storage'.

History 07-22-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnB15632 (Post 1779509)
Good AFternoon,

Memory is not so good. Am I correct in remembering, does the steering box need to be loosened of moved to get the starter out?

Thanks,

JohnB, good on you for helping the fellow out.

V4F 08-02-2019 08:29 AM

no on steering box , but I have found removing dip stick helps