The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bolt inside water pump (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264140)

Bill S 05-30-2019 04:35 AM

Bolt inside water pump

On a 50 Ford when installing a new water pump when the engine is in the car what is the trick to get the bolt that is inside the pump in place since you can not see inside to align it where the thread hole in the block is? I am almost to the point of putting a stud in there.

Thanks again

ponymare 05-30-2019 06:12 AM

Re: Bolt inside water pump

I've watched uncle do it several times, he puts the bolt in a socket, using a short extention and threads it right in there, and with the other bolts in place that one is already lined up.

34PKUP 05-30-2019 07:55 AM

The bolt goes thru the un-threaded hole in the pump that aligns it to the threaded hole in the block, you don't have to see anything.

Bill S 05-30-2019 09:03 AM

I am having a problem trying to locate the unthreaded hole in the pump once it the pump is mounted on the engine.

19Fordy 05-30-2019 09:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One solution would be to use a dab of contact cement or silicone in the socket, let it dry over night and then use a short extension to insert the socket with bolt by hand without using the ratchet handle. Put that bolt in last before you tighten down the other bolts..

It's difficult to insert that bolt if you don't keep the bolt angle perpendicular to the block surface. Having to bend over the car makes this a little more difficult if you have never done it.

You could also hold the bolt in a drill chuck and file a tapered point on it so it would be easier to insert.

Be sure to use anti seize on that bolt and use a stainless bolt if you have 2. Don't over tighten. I used a bronze bolt i found somewhere.

Jack E/NJ 05-30-2019 09:17 AM

Some folks like myself just like the satisfaction and feel of initially threading a bolt with a bare hand. But then are disappointed to find that a meaty-fingered hand just won't fit inside that pump inlet. What's a meaty-fingered tactile bolt-threading person to do? Well, I guess you could bite the bullet and use a socket with an extension like I did. Or you could get some tactile satisfaction by using a 3/8" shoulder bolt from HomeDepot or an old lawnmower wheel. 8^) Jack E/NJ

blucar 05-30-2019 10:50 AM

Do not tighten the external bolts prior to inserting the concealed bolt. Use a six point socket with a 3"-4" extension, use a small piece of paper torn from a shopping bag, hold the paper over the socket, press the bolt head into the socket, bolt is now locked into the socket without the use of glue, therefore it is easily removed.
Use anti-seize on the bolt threads. Don't over tighten, a short 3/8 ratchet is all the torque needed.

A bones 05-30-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucar (Post 1762805)
Do not tighten the external bolts prior to inserting the concealed bolt. Use a six point socket with a 3"-4" extension, use a small piece of paper torn from a shopping bag, hold the paper over the socket, press the bolt head into the socket, bolt is now locked into the socket without the use of glue, therefore it is easily removed.
Use anti-seize on the bolt threads. Don't over tighten, a short 3/8 ratchet is all the torque needed.

I concur as I've used that tactic often, in other unreachable spots. As there is a possibility of the paper hanging with the bolt head, then getting out of reach of a tweezer, etc, I think an inch and a half of masking tape applied sticky side to a clean socket, might be an even better choice.

Flathead Fever 05-30-2019 11:34 AM

Did you check the threads in the block with he pump off. I tried to install a Champion spark plug in a truck at work until I finally noticds they forgot to install the threads on the plug!

You should be able to easily install the bolt by hand with a socket and extension on it. If not, glue the gasket to the pump with Gasgacinch so it cannot slip out of place. Hold the pump away from the block a little so you can see the bolt line up with the threads in the block and start it in few turns. Then install the other bolts and tighten them all up evenly.

Bill S 05-30-2019 11:53 AM

My problem is trying to locate the hole in the water pump. If it means anything the radiator is still in the car.

Jack E/NJ 05-30-2019 12:23 PM

Hole in center of inlet. Stick your finger in there. You'll feel it. Jack E/NJ

MGG 05-30-2019 01:04 PM

For the inside bolt, I use a 14mm 6-point metric socket because it fits the bolt head more snuggly.

Newc 05-30-2019 05:55 PM

Hi; On the quality of those hardware Stainless bolts. I have an example I show, of two yrs corrosion on a "Stainless" bolt, 9/16th" head became a 1/2" head. Fastenal has Marine grade Stainless bolts, a better alloy than the Hardware stores. Brass is an option, but I wonder about strength. Newc

deuce_roadster 05-30-2019 07:01 PM

Originally the water pump bolts were cad (S7) plated as were the intake manifold bolts.

Flathead Fever 05-30-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newc (Post 1762918)
Hi; On the quality of those hardware Stainless bolts. I have an example I show, of two yrs corrosion on a "Stainless" bolt, 9/16th" head became a 1/2" head. Fastenal has Marine grade Stainless bolts, a better alloy than the Hardware stores. Brass is an option, but I wonder about strength. Newc

I wonder is that wear on your stainless bolt wasn't from electrolysis? Even the regular bolt heads don't seem to rust away inside there. I've taken a part about twenty flatheads so far and all of the internal water pump bolt heads looked pretty good, even when the water jackets were plugged with rust I had no problem getting those bolts out. It could be some kind of galvanic action between the cast iron block, water pumps and the stainless bolt?

JSeery 05-30-2019 09:48 PM

A while back there was a thread on this topic, stainless steel used for the inter water pump bolt. Dissimilar metals was considered a reason to not use stainless inside the block. Another reason would be a stainless bolt is weaker that the original bolt.

51 MERC-CT 05-31-2019 04:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1762999)
A while back there was a thread on this topic, stainless steel used for the inter water pump bolt. Dissimilar metals was considered a reason to not use stainless inside the block. Another reason would be a stainless bolt is weaker that the original bolt.

Yes, this was caused by the SS lock washer under the steel bolt.

19Fordy 05-31-2019 07:19 AM

Is there an alloy of stainless bolts that would be ok to use?
Seems like maintaining your coolant at the correct Ph is very important too.

JSeery 05-31-2019 07:23 AM

There is really no reason to not use a quality standard steel bolt, I see no advantage to using stainless and some disadvantages. And yes there are different stainless alloys.

joe 1950 05-31-2019 07:35 AM

it’s not as hard as you are making it regular grade 5 bolts work just fine and the thing you have to remember is lots of patience