The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   When is it time to sell? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251176)

daveymc29 09-11-2018 02:23 PM

When is it time to sell?

I have three Model A's, 82 years old, not the best of health but enjoy a bit of fooling with them. It is getting much harder to do things, took me a week to install A/C in a coupe and two days to check the valve adjustment in a driver. I'm thinking that it may be time to sell at least two of them. Anyone figure out when is the "right" time to do that? I know I can't bring myself to getting rid of all three at once, but it seems I feel buried at times with too many. Maybe if I had just one I could keep it in better state of repair and cleanliness.

WHN 09-11-2018 02:33 PM

Re: When is it time to sell?

If they were paintings on the walls of your house and you enjoyed looking at them, would you be thinking of selling.

I have two nice old porch rockers in the garage. I spend many afternoons out there just rocking and admiring our 29. Still drive it about 100 miles a year. Have had it 40 years. Like my Lionel train set, I just enjoy still having them around.

When your gone your gone. If owning a Model A makes you smile, why get rid of it. Just sit back and enjoy it.

woofa.express 09-11-2018 02:36 PM

Hi Davey Mc. you have kept your age well by the look of your photo in your Avatar.
When to sell and if is a personal decision and you should act with what your heart, not your head, tells you. I wish you good luck and good health. cheers, gary

CHuDWah 09-11-2018 02:36 PM

I'm not quite your age but I'm gettin' there fast. I've had multiple cars at once and maintaining them all is a job, especially when you're less able to do so. If you're to the point of being overwhelmed, I'd say it's time to thin the herd. I sold all mine and I miss them, so I don't recommend that. I'm sure you have soft spots for all three. My advice is figure out which one has the softest spot and sell the other two.

CarlG 09-11-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1673720)
... took me a week to install A/C in a coupe ...

Don't feel bad Dave, from start to finish, it took me about 5 years to get the A/C fully functional.

Bob-A 09-11-2018 04:04 PM

I'm 67 and I am starting to down size already. I've still got two "A's", but
sold my '29 Chevy. This fall I might try and sell my '31 roadster: nice original, runs great. Plus, I have to put my '29 roadster back on the road:
looks great, but one big fat Lemon. Before I get to old to drive. I would like to have one nice "A". An older restoration (done right!) that all I have to do is. Keep the dust off of it, change the oil & adjust the brakes when needed...;)

Bob-A:D

PS: Has anybody else noticed the high number of "A's" for sale in Hemming's, the two national club mags, Auto Trader, etc.?

ronn 09-11-2018 04:14 PM

I would just sell one of the three. the least desired. You can always sell another later........

30 Closed Cab PU 09-11-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1673775)
I would just sell one of the three. the least desired. You can always sell another later........

If you want to keep them, perhaps talk to a club and get some help? There are probably inexperienced club members who would jump at the chance to learn from a master. You may even put up a post here on the Barn, see who is close to you and willing to help, do the heavy lifting. Give you a chance to meet some new people and socialize.

Tom Wesenberg 09-11-2018 05:29 PM

Any family members willing to take over the care and ownership of the cars?

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-11-2018 08:37 PM

I sold my Model As & just sold my truck. I'm THROUGH driving, I'm NOT SAD about it & think of the $$$$$$s I'll save!
Bill Afoot

daveymc29 09-11-2018 11:15 PM

BILL,, I'm thinking of getting two coupes out of my garage, one being "Vermin" in your avatar. Not that Vermin and the other coupe aren't good cars, but I do know they all need a bit of TLC and I spend a lot of my time at doctors, so I'm a lot like #6 above and I do have a pretty little 29 roadster that even my bride can drive, I think I will be better served with my efforts if I devote more of them to the Roadster, 29SMILE I got from Allan Funt of Candid Camera fame. I don't like driving when it's terribly hot or cold and rainy. Watch the ads. I'm with your thinking on the $$$ saved also.

40 Deluxe 09-11-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1673799)
Any family members willing to take over the care and ownership of the cars?

Be careful! Too many family members feign interest, but all they see are the dollar signs from selling it to the nearest hot rodder!

Roger Green 09-11-2018 11:21 PM

Davey Mc,
I have a different approach. Maybe adjust your expectations. Take cleanliness, most cars really only need to be washed once or twice a year. I know some could not stand to do this, but really I can still drive them, even if they are dirty. And it really makes the cars of the guys in our club who cares about waxing & polishing look great!
Random ROG

BRENT in 10-uh-C 09-12-2018 06:22 AM

To answer your question specifically, you need to determine when it is a value most to your purchaser. To some, the highest value comes at Springtime because they want something to enjoy for the Summer. Other times, it is after income tax returns have been received. To some who must pay, then April 15th is NOT a good time. If you have a large swap meet annually with a large car coral, often times people come to purchase a new toy with funds in their back pocket. My point is that each geographical location is different, and so you need to think thru your market area.

Tom Wesenberg 09-12-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe (Post 1673900)
Be careful! Too many family members feign interest, but all they see are the dollar signs from selling it to the nearest hot rodder!

So true, especially at the time of a death and a will. I've seen family members turn on each other like starved lions when it comes to money and greed.

jwilliams81 09-12-2018 08:20 AM

Find a younger member in a local club that you know already has an interest. Maybe mid 20's - late 30's. Maybe give them a little discount.
Help build the Model A life and love for another guy or girl.

I kind of agree with the family members faking interest in the car. Times will get tough and more than likely they will sell the car. I like the idea of finding someone with the passion that is young and can continue the car's history.

burner31 09-12-2018 08:43 AM

February 31st of last year...damn, missed it

Merc Cruzer 09-12-2018 09:38 AM

It gives me purpose, since I am still replacing parts and working on it. I figure if I have to go chasing parts on the internet, it keeps my mind busy and in shape.....and that is a good thing! When the parts come in I have to install them so manual dexterity is maintained. All in all your car keeps you healthy.

P.S. 09-12-2018 09:54 AM

Hey Dave,

Your club has a couple of really good Model A guys in it. All you need to do is pick up the phone. Maybe have some pizza and beverages for them. Just sayin.

30 Closed Cab PU 09-12-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilliams81 (Post 1673985)
Find a younger member in a local club that you know already has an interest. Maybe mid 20's - late 30's. Maybe give them a little discount.
Help build the Model A life and love for another guy or girl.

I kind of agree with the family members faking interest in the car. Times will get tough and more than likely they will sell the car. I like the idea of finding someone with the passion that is young and can continue the car's history.

Sell it to someone who is into As as a Hobby, not a stranger on EBay. Have head people who will say wwhat ou wan to hear, and then turn around and flip it, or tun it into a Rat Rod, or Rod it out. Depends if you care what happens to Your As. You may not get as much for it.