The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear backing plate welded on. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245229)

29closedcabguy 05-30-2018 08:20 AM

Rear backing plate welded on.

2 Attachment(s)
Now that I've got my first request for repair suggestions posted here is my second. In removing my brakes to send to Randy Gross to have rebuilt this is what I find. I knew one rear spring perch was welded on but not until I tried to remove rear backing plate did I discover the idiot who welded it, did it with the backing plate in place and welded perch and backing plate together. My plan is to use my mini grinder and cut/remove as much of the backing plate that is free as possible to allow me to perform surgery on what remains. I hope to be able to remove the balance of the plate and some of the weld and save the end of the axel housing. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Benson 05-30-2018 08:44 AM

Re: Rear backing plate welded on.

I think that I would replace that axle housing rather than trusting my life with such a weld.

wrndln 05-30-2018 08:49 AM

The rear spring has tremendous energy in when it is installed. I would be very weary of an axle housing that has the part that holds the shackle welded on. I suppose a really good welder could properly weld the part on the axle housing, but finding a really good welder could be tough - I would try it! I don't think you will like my suggestion, but I would find a different axle housing to install on the differential carrier banjo, which should have been done verses welding on the shackle piece. I think you could unbolt the housing from the banjo (after draining the fluid), install a new oil seal in the housing and getting some differential gaskets, making sure the new gaskets match the thickness of the old gaskets and bolt the good axle housing in place.
Rusty Nelson

Railcarmover 05-30-2018 08:53 AM

That appears to be an excellent weld,single stitch,stacked..but a bad spot to weld,the load is at 90 degrees to the weld.

Brentwood Bob 05-30-2018 09:16 AM

Replace.

Oldbluoval 05-30-2018 10:03 AM

Wouldn't even consider NOT replacing.

Russ/40 05-30-2018 10:56 AM

I could never live with that. Very strange, you'd think he would take the backing plate off to do the weld. Very dumb indeed, replace.

SeaSlugs 05-30-2018 11:00 AM

Yea i would not even consider cutting that weld with the spring still in place. I would also replace it. Rear axle parts are plentiful.

burner31 05-30-2018 11:03 AM

Old farm repair?

redmodelt 05-30-2018 11:40 AM

At some point in Model A production the perch was welded to the axle housing. maybe it was a fusion weld, but welded none the less.

CarlG 05-30-2018 12:17 PM

Randy will most likely replace the backing plate anyway.

ursus 05-30-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1634742)
At some point in Model A production the perch was welded to the axle housing. maybe it was a fusion weld, but welded none the less.

Good point. Interesting too, as I have never hear of that weld failing. First time I looked at one I thought it was a repair but they all came that way.

Oldbluoval 05-30-2018 02:10 PM

"At some point in Model A production the perch was welded to the axle housing. maybe it was a fusion weld, but welded none the less."

Yes, but over 11 million have gone thru 80 years of QC. I've never heard of a perch break that wasn't so badly worn thru or monkey'd with. Most production 80 years ago was over-engineered on today's standards.

That is a one of a kind and I wouldn't trust it!

IMHO

Mel Gross 05-30-2018 02:47 PM

There is no question!

I am going to replace the backing plate when the job comes in.

I would not do it any other way!

Randy Gross

Synchro909 05-30-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel Gross (Post 1634802)
There is no question!

I am going to replace the backing plate when the job comes in.

I would not do it any other way!

Randy Gross

Those pictures screamed “replace it” to me from the start.
It does not surprise me to see Randy’s statement. His work is better than good.
FWIW, I think I would replace the axle housing as well. The extra work is nothing compared with the consequences if it turns to turds.

29closedcabguy 05-30-2018 08:41 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Replacing the axle housing is what I now what I intend to do. I did talk to Randy Gross this morning before posting and he intended to supply a new backing plate for me as we both knew it was toast. The weld has been in place for over 17 years and run with no shocks all of those years. So now redoing the springs, New shackles, and New shocks from Snyder's is the way I'm going. Also replacing front spring perch as the ball is missing one side, it is shaped off.

Question are the spring perches a weak point? I have two broken ones the one rear that was welded and the front where the shock ball is shaped off.

KR500 05-31-2018 11:27 AM

We seem to forget that these cars were used thru WWII and in many cases if a person needed their transportation any adequate repair to return the vehicle to moving was tolerated. Yes things are different today and such a repair should not be left in that condition when we have much better availability of parts and services. Good luck with your A.