The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bent axle rant (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125953)

D. Jones 12-13-2013 01:18 PM

Bent axle rant

Guess I should have known that I couldn't just replace the king pins and bushings on my 1945 1/2 ton to fix my quite minor steering problem. I found the axle is bent AND twisted plus the king pin hole on the passenger side of the axle is .006 oversize.:(

Called a Blacksmith friend and we're going to straighten the darned thing and then I'll have to set it up in the mill and bore the king pin hole to .875" and bush it back to .811".

I keep reminding myself that I must enjoy this or why would I do it. Oh, now I remember, when my mother-in-law gave me the truck I said I'd restore it, and by heavens I will.

Sorry guys, I just had to get that off my chest.

V8COOPMAN 12-13-2013 01:36 PM

Re: Bent axle rant

BEFORE you go boring that hole and re-bushing it (which can easily weaken the axle end), and since yours' is ONLY .006" oversize, take a peek at the link below which shows a very sound approach to easily repairing such by a guy that has years worth of experience working-on, repairing and modifying these axles. Make sure you read down to POST #3. DD

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=677274

Pete 12-13-2013 01:55 PM

"http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=677274 "

Mickey Mouse.

V8COOPMAN 12-13-2013 02:00 PM

What's "MM" about it? DD

Pete 12-13-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 783740)
What's "MM" about it? DD

The fact that the finished hole has not been honed to size. There is no way you can get 100% bearing surface in a hole with a die grinder.

Oh, and as a side note there are no racing associations that will allow
reformed axles.

V8COOPMAN 12-13-2013 02:19 PM

Fair-enough explanation of your technical point! DD

TJ 12-13-2013 02:31 PM

Get another axle. They are not that rare

NealinCA 12-13-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 783759)
Get another axle. They are not that rare

I agree on a 42-47 1/2-ton pickup axle, just find a good one. I have done as the link shows to fix a 32 axle. I used the correct size reamer and had good results. The king pin is locked in place in the axle, so as long as it is tight, I don't see the need for a honed surface as you would need in the bushings themselves. I have also been known to run an old Mor-Drop axle, so I guess I am living on the edge with reformed axles...

Neal

JWL 12-13-2013 02:58 PM

Yes, totally MM. Not just the sizing and bore roundness but also the measuring concept. At best it should be considered a "get by" fix.

Ross F-1 12-13-2013 03:15 PM

For all the later trucks, kingpins are available in .010" O/S to correct this exact situation.

ford38v8 12-13-2013 04:16 PM

The guy got himself banned from the HAMB. How do you do that? I thought that forum was like a cage fight!

Ross F-1 12-13-2013 04:20 PM

I don't know what's going on over there, but a bunch of long-time members have been banned in the last couple months.

D. Jones 12-13-2013 04:30 PM

First, thanks for the input.

While there are quite a few 42-47 trucks, available front axles for them of any kind much less good ones are quite scarce in this neck of the woods. I have a good axle from a 56 F-100, but it's three inches too wide.
As for the shrinking the hole by heating and hammering and then reaming, not a bad idea, but it would be much harder to maintain the proper caster and camber angles than if I just bore and sleeve it. If a .064" diameter larger hole will significantly weaken the axle I would be very surprised. I believe getting the axle straight will be the hardest part and if we don't succeed we certainly can't make it any worse than it already is.

Ross F-1 12-13-2013 05:20 PM

If it's only .006" over size now, why not just buy the .010" OS pins and bushings?

deuce_roadster 12-13-2013 05:55 PM

Bend the axle back to straight COLD in a press. DO NOT HEAT it . I have straightened many axles and it doesn't take that much pressure to move the metal. Around 7 tons. If the axle has been heated, it takes about 3 tons. At least that is what the gauge on my press registered.
The hardest things I have pressed were 32 perch bolts, when tight, required 17 tons before they popped. I put a hardened nut on flush with the threads and press on that.

Firepower flyer 12-13-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Jones (Post 783823)
First, thanks for the input.

While there are quite a few 42-47 trucks, available front axles for them of any kind much less good ones are quite scarce in this neck of the woods. I have a good axle from a 56 F-100, but it's three inches too wide.
As for the shrinking the hole by heating and hammering and then reaming, not a bad idea, but it would be much harder to maintain the proper caster and camber angles than if I just bore and sleeve it. If a .064" diameter larger hole will significantly weaken the axle I would be very surprised. I believe getting the axle straight will be the hardest part and if we don't succeed we certainly can't make it any worse than it already is.

I'm guessing if it's bent and twisted like you mentioned in your first post that it may have caster/camber issues anyway, that should be checked. I think the way the axle was repaired in the link is a ok fix, if you can't find another good axle, but there's plenty around.
On a side note 296V8 who did the tech link on fixing the axle was the one that got banned. It's to bad,he always had good tech tips and was helpful, he has a website for doing drop axles. I had him drop two of them for me and turned out great. Good luck with it.
Joe

Fe26 12-13-2013 11:32 PM

Ideally the axel would be straighted cold, but this axel is also twisted. The Blacksmith will know what to do and for a twist it probably involves heat and a slow cool in still air, not laying on a concrete floor and not in a draught.

ford38v8 12-13-2013 11:42 PM

If you have a KRW Catalogue, I believe they had a tool for cold adjustment of caster/camber.

117harv 12-13-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 783744)
The fact that the finished hole has not been honed to size. There is no way you can get 100% bearing surface in a hole with a die grinder.

Oh, and as a side note there are no racing associations that will allow
reformed axles.

Bearing? The king pin is held tight in the bore with the lock pin.

49r 12-13-2013 11:57 PM

30 years ago after breaking a king pin on my F1 because the axel hole was flogged out (I kept belting the cotter pin to try and take up the play ...ouch), I had both holes bored and sleeved. I don't remember the specs, but there have been no issues since.