The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Foot starter suddenly won’t work?? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250420)

draggin49 08-28-2018 07:06 PM

Foot starter suddenly won’t work??

My 32 roadster has been fine ,never had issues with foot starter. Ran to the bank. Car fired up normally when I left . Get out the bank push the button and it won’t start, push the foot button and absolutely nothin happens.i was in the bank for only a minute , battery was not on had it in the off position.ideas?

draggin49 08-28-2018 07:16 PM

Re: Foot starter suddenly won’t work??

Well I walked somewhere real quick, came back .Put my foot on starter button and wiggled it a a little as I pushed down and it fired up. So at least I’m no longer stranded haha.

Brian 08-28-2018 07:46 PM

Check all connections are tight...failing that, you can uncrimp the switch and clean up the contacts.

Charlie Stephens 08-28-2018 07:55 PM

The good news is that you can start them with the crank.

Charlie Stephens

Tinker 08-28-2018 09:39 PM

Foot starters are just two copper plates, you push down they connect. A very simple switch. Open the switch by bending the few knocked over pressed nubs under-neigh the switch. (carefully not to break them). Clean it out and check the action.

Aftermarkets need the same inspection, but when they arrive from order.

But if your battery/ignition switch was off? it might be something easier. :)

JSeery 08-28-2018 09:54 PM

Think Tinker was joking about the ignition switch, but just to be clear, the ignition switch is just that, on/off for the ignition. The starter switch is hot all the time as are the light circuits.

Tinker 08-28-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draggin49 (Post 1668602)
My 32 roadster has been fine ,never had issues with foot starter. Ran to the bank. Car fired up normally when I left . Get out the bank push the button and it won’t start, push the foot button and absolutely nothin happens.i was in the bank for only a minute , battery was not on had it in the off position.ideas?

maybe not what you meant to write?

1949f1 08-28-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1668653)
maybe not what you meant to write?

He may be referring to a cutoff switch on the battery.

Tinker 08-28-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1949f1 (Post 1668657)
He may be referring to a cutoff switch on the battery.

Which means the foot starter switch is good. CONFUSING :confused::confused::D

Tinker 08-28-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1668652)
Think Tinker was joking about the ignition switch, but just to be clear, the ignition switch is just that, on/off for the ignition. The starter switch is hot all the time as are the light circuits.

I wasn't joking. But yes, you can turn over the vehicle without the ignition on. It won't fire though.

Good catch and point!

I'm Still confused by the thread name and problem rundown. Guess it's turn you battery switch on when starting? ha ha :)

SUHRsc 08-29-2018 06:25 AM

I just rebuilt the original foot starter for my 35..... it was pretty well corroded in there... i sanded and polished all surfaces before reassembling. wasn't a bad job to do.

MGG 08-29-2018 08:33 AM

When this happens to me, the first thing I do is clean up and tighten my battery terminals. This has been the problem many times, not only on my cars, but farm machinery also.

drolston 08-29-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1668617)
The good news is that you can start them with the crank.

Charlie Stephens

Has anybody ever actually started a V8 with the crank? I actually tried to start my '35 coupe with a crank when I was 18 and in pretty good shape, but never even got a pop before I wore out.

MGG 08-29-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1668819)
Has anybody ever actually started a V8 with the crank? I actually tried to start my '35 coupe with a crank when I was 18 and in pretty good shape, but never even got a pop before I wore out.

I occasionally start my 1940 truck with the crank just for fun. I am surprised at how easily it starts - 1/4 turn and off it goes. My ignition, wires, and all electrical system is in top notch shape. I might add that I have not done it when it was not warmed up, though.