The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boling Bros. drums- Any issues? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270919)

Tim Ayers 10-15-2019 06:58 AM

Boling Bros. drums- Any issues?

Hi All:

Trying to figure out the best way to do up the brakes for my AV8. I have both '40 & later '46 style brakes.

I'm tempted to get their front drums and mount them on the '40 hubs I have so I know I'll have like new brakes on the front.

Has anyone here used them and did you run into any issues?

Thanks,

Tim

Krylon32 10-15-2019 08:03 AM

Re: Boling Bros. drums- Any issues?

Tim: I've sold and used many pairs of Boling drums with no problems. They are made in the USA unlike another company offering a clone that's made overseas. Gary at Cornhusker

Tim Ayers 10-15-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krylon32 (Post 1809792)
Tim: I've sold and used many pairs of Boling drums with no problems. They are made in the USA unlike another company offering a clone that's made overseas. Gary at Cornhusker

Thanks, Gary!

19Fordy 10-15-2019 08:18 AM

I bought mine thru Gary at Cornhuskers years ago. Work great. No issues. If you install them on the rear, use your FORD OEM wheel bearings.

Russ/40 10-15-2019 10:35 AM

I got mine from Speedway. They sell the Boling Brothers Lincoln brake kits. I'm not 100% sure the drums are BB units, but everything else is. I could not get the drums on over the shoes. No how, no way. Speedway claimed they had not run into the problem before. It's my belief the adjusters that came with the kit were defective, and did not collapse far enough. The notches on both ends of the adjusters were too shallow. After modifying the adjusters slightly, I had no further problem. No claim was made to turn the drums, and that was my last resort. Since I have a brake shoe archer, I also took a bit off the shoes. The experience was not a good one with Speedway.

Krylon32 10-15-2019 12:36 PM

When I first started selling MT brakes to my customers I tried to save a few bucks with the Speedway drums. We had balance problems, problems with the drums tearing up the shoes because they were to hard. For a few extra dollars buy a USA made product backed up by the USA manufacturer.

Ford Freak 10-15-2019 04:28 PM

Krylon32 - What are the "MT" brakes you refer to above ? - F F

glennpm 10-15-2019 04:32 PM

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Drums.html

Talkwrench 10-15-2019 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The drums seem to be a very good product , I did have issue with the kit , they had welded a part wrong and when doing up the wheel it would lock up, did damage the drum a little , I contacted them and their reply was "we have had a few plates move during welding"

V8COOPMAN 10-15-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Freak (Post 1809944)
Krylon32 - What are the "MT" brakes you refer to above ? - F F

Click on this link for more parts of the brake package. This is "TOP SHELF" stuff! DD

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/productsgrid.html

19Fordy 10-16-2019 10:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
MT Looks like this. First photo shows the amount of run out.

Excellent drums with more "meat".

philipswanson 10-16-2019 10:37 AM

I much prefer Speedway. Free shipping and no CA tax. Shipping is a big deal on drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy imported drums though since 99% of them are now made offshore for all applications. Did on my '40 woody with great results with Lincoln brakes up front. Maybe one day I'll do the Lincolns in the rear. Do not like stock 40 brakes!

Charlie Stephens 10-16-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1810182)
I much prefer Speedway. Free shipping and no CA tax. Shipping is a big deal on drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy imported drums though since 99% of them are now made offshore for all applications. Did on my '40 woody with great results with Lincoln brakes up front. Maybe one day I'll do the Lincolns in the rear. Do not like stock 40 brakes!

What do you mean no California tax? You mail it in to the state at the end of the year. How else will they be able to build the high speed rail and other important projects?

Charlie Stephens

philipswanson 10-16-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1810213)
What do you mean no California tax? You mail it in to the state at the end of the year.

Charlie Stephens

Yea, right!

TomT/Williamsburg 10-16-2019 02:36 PM

Speedway hub disintegrated on a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago - found some uncut originals for him .....

mrtexas 10-17-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1810182)

No tax days are over. All the mailorder are now collecting sales tax.