The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing Hub Dust Cap (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158006)

Bruce of MN 12-29-2014 12:00 PM

Removing Hub Dust Cap

My front wheel dust cap has a hex head formed in it, not round like the currently available ones. I have had the other side off before to repack the bearings, but I can't remember if it was threaded or push on. There isn't a "flange" formed either, to pry against. I've tried twisting it off with my smooth jaw channellocks, but it didn't move. I'll try a socket wrench on it, any other suggestions?

Mitch//pa 12-29-2014 01:07 PM

Re: Removing Hub Dust Cap

i just had screw on caps on a set of rocky mountain drums.....

i would think the dust cap that is not hexed would be a press in

Bruce of MN 12-30-2014 02:04 PM

I ended up using a pipe wrench :eek: with leather strips to protect the dust cap. The cap is threaded, but merely pressed on. It must have been what was handy when the car was restored in 1985.

Purdy Swoft 12-30-2014 02:20 PM

The 1931 cast iron front brake drums used a threaded hex dust cap . These cast iron brake drums and hubs were made in one piece and had vent holes . The tire needs to be on the ground or shop floor to unscrew the dust caps. These are the kinda rare and desirable front drums .

C26Pinelake 12-30-2014 04:53 PM

If Purdy says it you can take it to the bank. Purdy knows Model A's !
Wayne

Purdy Swoft 12-30-2014 05:04 PM

Mitch, Ive heard them called that but I don't think that is technically the correct name . I think that rocky mountain brakes were accessory rear brakes that could be installed on the model T . Sometime in 31, maybe late 31 Ford started using cast iron drums front and back on the model A. The drums were still 11 inch inside diameter . The front drums resembled the cast vented drums that were used on 32 and later Fords that were 12 inch inside diameter. The cast iron front drums and hubs were one piece and were threaded where the hex type dust caps fit. I've got whats appears to be a NOS pair that I got from Rockhill Will .

Purdy Swoft 12-30-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C26Pinelake (Post 1006953)
If Purdy says it you can take it to the bank. Purdy knows Model A's !
Wayne

Thanks Wayne for the vote of confidence !!!!!!!

larrys40 12-30-2014 06:55 PM

I have somewhat hoarded these drums as they are my front drum of choice. I concur with Purdy about the name.... It would be interesting to know a little more about their introduction and use. My mentor friend Terry Oberer always thought they were a very late '31 and/or service replacement part.

With the hub being integral you don't have the hub issues the earlier drums have yet have the cast iron drum as well. The best of both worlds... In fact sometimes I can't believe they don't bring more. I just don't think folks know what they are and how to identify them. I have a set of the original cast iron rears on my Tudor... the rears are much harder to find...

Yes, the dust covers are screw on as Mitch and Purdy mentioned.
One more thing... I do agree Purdy knows his A's!
Happy New Year wishes to all,
Larry Shepard

Purdy Swoft 12-30-2014 10:25 PM

Thanks Larry for all of the good info that you share and a very happy new year to you