The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Detailing Products for Model B (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257949)

dbtenner 01-20-2019 08:45 PM

Detailing Products for Model B

My 34’ Roadster is in need of a good bath and detail. Anyone recommend special products for a dry cleaning? Thanks.

It will be used in upcoming photo shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ 01-21-2019 07:44 PM

Re: Detailing Products for Model B

If it's a garage kept car you only need to wipe it down with a wet towel and then dry it off before waxing. If it hasn't been waxed in a long time I would use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax which will remove some oxidation and wax the car. Use Meguiar's car wash soap and water on the wheels and a good whitewall cleaner on the tires. I've used Meguiar's products for years and have had good luck with them.

DavidG 01-21-2019 08:08 PM

I'd use Meguiar's Final Inspection spray with a dry towel rather than a water-wet towel. You'll save yourself a step and may find that you do not need to wax it. The same goes for the wheels as water is an enemy of your car.

dbtenner 01-21-2019 08:08 PM

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’m hoping to use the 34’ for upcoming weddings.

Charlie Stephens 01-21-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtenner (Post 1718747)
Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’m hoping to use the 34’ for upcoming weddings.

Be sure to check with your insurance agent first. Also the last time I participated in a wedding I told them a roadster wasn't good for female passengers with fancy hair. Two of the bridesmaids wanted to sit in the rumble seat and their hair ended up a mess.

Charlie Stephens

dbtenner 01-21-2019 08:26 PM

Haha thanks for the advice Charlie.

tubman 01-21-2019 10:13 PM

I have heard that one should try to avoid using water when cleaning a classic car. There is always some that gets into nooks and crannies, which can cause problems.

dbtenner 01-21-2019 10:21 PM

This meguiars final inspection sounds good to spray in a microfiber cloth and clean the car that way. Would that be considered “dry”?

DavidG 01-21-2019 11:30 PM

Best to spray it on the car liberally a section at a time and wipe it off with the towel folding it as you go. Nothing works better or is softer and easier on the paint than old, as in well laundered, 100% cotton bath towels. Artificial fiber cloths fall short.

If you live near an industrial laundry they will likely give you their worn out towels for the asking.

rosenkranswa 01-22-2019 11:08 AM

I echo the thoughts of not using water unless the car went through a mud puddle. I use products from Griots, their waterless wash and Speed Shine with good quality microfiber cloths, but other products do essentially the same thing. I haven't waxed a car in quite awhile. One thing I have found is to launder the cloths frequently to avoid streaking. A cloth can appear clean, but hide oils, etc. picked up from a previous session - particularly on a black or dark colored car (I learned that the hard way), and don't try to do a session in the sun, if any of the products dry too fast they can be hard to remove.

Gary in La. 01-22-2019 07:51 PM

I second the use of Speedshine from Griots. Have used it for years on both the old & new cars.

TJ 01-24-2019 09:27 AM

Interesting comments about using water to clean your car. What's also interesting is at all National V-8 meets they set up a wash area complete with hoses etc. to clean your car. You usually have to wait in line to be able to use the water and clean your car. Obviously a lot of people use water.

rockfla 01-24-2019 09:33 AM

The "power blaster" is a must have IF you are gonna use water!!! You are assured to get water off and out of all surfaces and crooks!!!