The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   T5 Shift Problems (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270313)

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 04:17 AM

T5 Shift Problems

After some stop and go driving the other day(about an hour), I noticed it was getting difficult to shift into 1st gear. 2nd gear was also getting stiffer, although not as much. Fluid should be fine, as I filled it 4 months ago and it doesn't leak.
I'm thinking this is a linkage adjustment. I have a hydraulic clutch with a slave cylinder. Any thoughts??
Thanks Joe

A bones 10-02-2019 05:59 AM

Re: T5 Shift Problems

Full of fluid and not leaking does not guarantee the workings of either the master, or the slave.

Typically a failing of either cylinder will show up as you describe. A gradual loss of service resulting in harder shifts. Particularly trying to engage first gear at a standstill.

To verify the action it helps to have a buddy work the pedal while you measure the action at the slave. Or even better if you remove enough flooring to view the slave.

First thing though, I would try bleeding the slave to remove the possibility of air having gotten into the picture.

Good Luck.

ponymare 10-02-2019 06:34 AM

It may also be the pilot bearing is trying to lock up on the input shaft.

Mike51Merc 10-02-2019 07:22 AM

As far as I know, T5 has no adjustable linkage as the shifter is mounted atop the trans and operates the shift rail directly. Never saw any adjustable stuff in there, or anywhere else.

Ol' Ron 10-02-2019 04:16 PM

Did you use ATF? when you filled it??

Ross F-1 10-02-2019 04:26 PM

T5's have little nylon pads on the shift forks, that have a habit of cracking and falling off. Is the throw noticeably longer in 1 - 2?

JSeery 10-02-2019 05:23 PM

If it is the nylon piece on the shifter they sell a replacement metal one or the nylon ones. The stock shifter does not have any stops and it is fairly easy to bend and/or crack the shift forks on the gears.

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A bones (Post 1805417)
Full of fluid and not leaking does not guarantee the workings of either the master, or the slave.

Typically a failing of either cylinder will show up as you describe. A gradual loss of service resulting in harder shifts. Particularly trying to engage first gear at a standstill.

To verify the action it helps to have a buddy work the pedal while you measure the action at the slave. Or even better if you remove enough flooring to view the slave.

First thing though, I would try bleeding the slave to remove the possibility of air having gotten into the picture.

Good Luck.

Good point A. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to take a closer look. Thanks for the input

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponymare (Post 1805423)

Ponymare, I'll be pulling the motor in a few weeks to install a fresh 8BA. That would be the best time for me to check that out. I did install a new pilot bearing about 1500 miles ago. If that's the problem, something else might be going on with the trans. Thanks for your response.

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike51Merc (Post 1805433)
As far as I know, T5 has no adjustable linkage as the shifter is mounted atop the trans and operates the shift rail directly. Never saw any adjustable stuff in there, or anywhere else.

Mike, the adjustment would be in the "linkage" that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder and also on the slave cylinder ram to the cross shaft arm
Thank you

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1805589)
Did you use ATF? when you filled it??

Yes Ron. I believe it was Dextron that was supplied by the shop that rebuilt the trans about 5 years ago. The clutch and pressure plate are about a year old
Thanks

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross F-1 (Post 1805592)
T5's have little nylon pads on the shift forks, that have a habit of cracking and falling off. Is the throw noticeably longer in 1 - 2?

That's a good possibility Ross. When I pull the motor, I'll take a look
Thank you

jrvariel48 10-02-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1805605)
If it is the nylon piece on the shifter they sell a replacement metal one or the nylon ones. The stock shifter does not have any stops and it is fairly easy to bend and/or crack the shift forks on the gears.

JSeery, I install a close ratio aftermarket shifter. I don't know if it has stops or not though. Thanks for your response

JSeery 10-02-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrvariel48 (Post 1805623)
JSeery, I install a close ratio aftermarket shifter. I don't know if it has stops or not though. Thanks for your response

A lot of the aftermarket shifters have the stops, but they will not work if they are not adjusted correctly. Might be something to check, if it does have the stops and they were not adjusted and tightened I would guess it would be possible for them to move and restrict the shifter throw.

Only you know how it has been driven, but if you are into hard shifts (as in pushing and pulling on the shifter hard) internal damage is a possibility. My grandkids were good at messing them up until I got the stops set up correctly! Think I have some damaged ones in the garage, I can post a photo later.

justpassinthru 10-03-2019 07:49 AM

Does it grind while shifting into reverse? If so, then the clutch is not fully disengaging.

That can also make it more difficult to shift into forward gears also.

General rule of thumb in our shop is, disengage the clutch and count 1001,1002,1003, then shift it in reverse. If it does not grind, the clutch is fully disengaging. If it does grind then there is a clutch issue.

Bill

jrvariel48 10-03-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassinthru (Post 1805747)
Does it grind while shifting into reverse? If so, then the clutch is not fully disengaging.

That can also make it more difficult to shift into forward gears also.

General rule of thumb in our shop is, disengage the clutch and count 1001,1002,1003, then shift it in reverse. If it does not grind, the clutch is fully disengaging. If it does grind then there is a clutch issue.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll check that on Saturday

jrvariel48 10-04-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponymare (Post 1805423)

Pony do you know what would cause a condition like that? I installed a new pilot bearing about a year ago.
Thank you

ponymare 10-04-2019 06:44 AM

Was it the solid brass, or one with the needle bearing, they tend to get dry, then lock up.

Mike51Merc 10-04-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrvariel48 (Post 1805618)
Mike, the adjustment would be in the "linkage" that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder and also on the slave cylinder ram to the cross shaft arm
Thank you

Yes, but that is a clutch adjustment, not a transmission adjustment.

jrvariel48 10-04-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponymare (Post 1806118)
Was it the solid brass, or one with the needle bearing, they tend to get dry, then lock up.

It's a needle bearing which I removed the factory grease and used a hi temp grease. The same grease I used in the throw out bearing.