The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Otwell Manifold Heater? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128779)

Russ Koch 01-15-2014 05:42 PM

Otwell Manifold Heater?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of checking the fit of various heaters, I have an existing door in the firewall, & came across the Otwell exhaust being so low it lines up with the bend at the floor board AND the recess for the engine! I see it won't fit mine, but how can you possibly put a heater door in that will connect to it????
I think the Otwell is one of the best designs BUT? There is not enough room to flex to the flat area of the fire wall. I loaded some pics, but hard to see the fire wall. Are any of you using this manifold? How did you do it? If you have pics of the connection would be appreciated.
Thanks, Russ

CarlG 01-15-2014 05:51 PM

Re: Otwell Manifold Heater?

A short piece of SCAT hose (available at your local aircraft supplier) will fix you right up. It's available in 1/8" diameter incriments, so you should be able to fit it up relatively close.

ed thibodeau 01-15-2014 06:38 PM

The Otwell's that I have don't have the hole that comes out the top that yours has. And the rearward facing hole comes out higher and I have no problems in the firewall.

30ccpickup 01-15-2014 06:54 PM

My Otwell worked to well in the summer. I could not believe how hot it made the firewall.

Larry Seemann 01-15-2014 07:05 PM

One thing to keep in mind with an Otwell is that the heater cover doesn't detach from the manifold so you can't get to the distributor set screw and therefor you can't remove the distributor without removing the manifolds. Kind of a tough situation if you need to remove the distributor along side the road and don't have a spare manifold gasket. Ask me how I know.

ed thibodeau 01-15-2014 07:07 PM

I use a dogleg screwdriver and have no trouble getting at the distributor screw.

Pepsi Mechanic 01-15-2014 07:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here are some pictures of our Otwell in our Pepsi Truck .. I was lucky to get the control flapper thanks to this sight .. excuse the neoprene fuel line .. these are old pictures and it has since been replaced back to steel

BarracudaBoy 01-15-2014 07:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Looks like your car had a different heater manifold than the one you are putting on it. My car has a autolite manifold setup and a otwell valve in the firewall hole. Someone welded up this rig in the pictures to match up the difference between the two. Looks like you might have the opposite issue I do! lol! A Autolite hole and a Otwell manifold! maybe we should trade!:D

Russ Koch 01-17-2014 01:09 PM

Very interesting, THANKS for the replies!
Larry, every Otwell I have seen TOTALLY clears the distributer, thats one of reasons I like the design.
Ed, Otwell must have done different designs? The upper hole & not clearing the distributer???
Pepsi mechanic, that is what I was confused about. That is quite the door!!

Larry Seemann 01-17-2014 07:32 PM

They must have made more than one design, which actually makes sense.

Pepsi Mechanic 01-17-2014 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the advertisement for the heater ... Ours is on a Canadian made engine that was made in early 28 ... I like the price .. plus installation mind you

verdirick 01-18-2014 02:20 AM

Otwell made a heater access sleeve and door with a bend to match the firewall angle. I have one on my tudor. Look for one at a swap meet. They are out there
Rick:)

ctlikon0712 01-18-2014 02:51 AM

I hope your frame hasn't sagged or your rear motor mounts shifted. That will make a difference also.