The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rubber matt for parking on (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129053)

firechief5215 01-18-2014 12:51 PM

Rubber matt for parking on

We just finished our fire company museum . We had a hard wood floor installed. We are going to put our 28 AA in the building. As we all know they tend to leak a little. We are looking for a rubber mat to cover the entire foot print of our AA. It does not have to be rubber that is just 1 idea . Please help with any and all ideas and maybe where we maybe able to locate the item. And yes we installed a overhead door so we can still drive it and use for parades. Thanks Billy

CA Victoria 01-18-2014 01:01 PM

Re: Rubber matt for parking on

A thought,
Our local feed store sells a thick horse mat that is used in stalls and trailers. We have used these on floors in workout rooms to protect them from the heavy weights. They are in 4' x 5' x 1/2"+ thick. They are black and made from recycled rubber. You should be able to do a computer search and find a comparable product.

MikeK 01-18-2014 01:26 PM

Consider three SS sheet metal drip pans and four 1' square wheel pads that can easily be moved, cleaned, and placed when you take the car in and out. Cleaning the floor will be much easier!
Any large unglued roll flooring will tend to move, bunch and not lie flat when a car is rolled over it.

If you absolutely must, here's a place that sells heavy weight roll garage flooring:
LINK

msmaron 01-18-2014 01:29 PM

OR, you can go on line to any restaurant supply and order backing pans,. Line them with the cheap aluminum pans, fill with kitty litter and toss them when you want to change them...

https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-supp...FckWMgodMl4AJQ

Jim/GA 01-18-2014 01:42 PM

I use one of these under engine/transmission:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ATP-Extra-...p-Pan/16778234

With the slightly raised lip, if anything drips on to it, it does not run all over the place (for small liquid quantities). On a AA truck, you might want two of them.

I also use small carpet squares under each tire. The sample pieces that carpet stores use, with the finished edges, look really good. If you tell a shop what you plan to use them for, they can usually find a few that you can have.

Tom Wesenberg 01-18-2014 02:44 PM

I line my floor with used carpet that I get for free. When it gets too dirty just throw it out and get more free carpet.

Pete 01-18-2014 04:01 PM

I'll go with MikeK's plan with the addition of engine turning the pans so they look like something that should be in a museum. There are usually volunteers involved in museums
so get them to do the engine turning as long as the truck is done anyway.

mass A man 01-18-2014 04:06 PM

I'm kinda with Tom on this one, a nice looking scrap of linoleum, not so wide you park the wheels of truck on it, but to catch oil. This can be dragged out and wiped off, good as new. Parking heavy truck on many kinds of materials will maybe stick the thing to the floor and make a permanent mess. A wood-grained but smooth linoleum would look nice I think.

firechief5215 01-18-2014 05:41 PM

Thank you for the great information and ideas. Again we wouldn't be able to afford to keep our truck without your help Thanks Billy

woodiewagon46 01-18-2014 05:48 PM

California Car Cover, has an assortment of rubber matting for garage floors.

spdway1 01-18-2014 05:53 PM

I use a rubber mat pick up truck bed liner. You could use more than one, easy to cut and trim.

Pepsi Mechanic 01-18-2014 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
... you can get a rubber checkered floor that comes in 8 foot widths and what ever length you need .. just google rubber checkered floor .. allot of people use this at car shows as it simply rolls up to move ..It is also felt backed so you can use it anywhere .. about 15 bucks per linier foot here in Canada .. pictured below

whirnot 01-18-2014 10:04 PM

I just found what I was looking for. The commercial rugs used in businesses that are supplied by uniform companies. They are a rubber mat with a carpet surface. I found them at a local Flea Market. 3 x 10 Black $20. They has other colors as well some 4 x 5 and 3 x 5. The 3 x 10 is perfect for a model A, covering front of engine to rear end. After it gets full of oil just power wash it.

mass A man 01-18-2014 11:08 PM

Try out this site for all kinds of mats, USA made! "consolidatedplastics.com" They have all kinds of mats for home shop or commercial uses. Their catalog is fun to look through. It came in my mail today.

QGolden 01-19-2014 08:34 AM

For the money, these are a good deal. Harbor Freight sells floor mats that lock together. 10 bucks gets you 4 squares (17 sq ft) that snap together. Pretty easy and cheap to replace a piece if one gets ruined. I use these in the workbench part of my shop. Oil wipes off, and they seem to be solvent resistant.

See them here.

1crosscut 01-19-2014 08:58 AM

A word of caution for those that use cardboard to catch drips. A gent that worked for me was using cardboard under his "modern" truck to catch oil drips smelled something burning a short time after parking his truck. Seems that the cardboard had twisted over time and his tire kicked it up enough that the cardboard was touching his catalytic converter. Probably would have burnt his house down if he hadn't caught it.