The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found a 28 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105354)

Gwhaley 05-05-2013 10:54 PM

Found a 28

1 Attachment(s)
My brother in law pulled this 28 out of a friends barn last week. He gave me a call to help get it running.

Looks like it just needs a carb - everything else is there. Needs paint, but everything else is in good shape.

It has been sitting for 15 years in the back corner of the barn, and now the owner is looking to make some space. I might have to make him an offer on this one.

Attachment 129038

Mike V. Florida 05-05-2013 11:05 PM

Re: Found a 28

Was the engine stamped A2?:cool::D

Looks good!

Get it running and worry about the paint later!

Gwhaley 05-05-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 646188)
Was the engine stamped A2?:cool::D

Looks good!

Get it running and worry about the paint later!

The more I look at this car the more I like it.....geeze, I just finished my T- think the wife will notice another Ford in the garage? :)

Curt Campbell 05-05-2013 11:14 PM

Better buy that car..wife wont notice if you buy more tools and pile them around it..

Also....if the engine is stamped *A2*, Teddy Roosevelt stamped it. Very rare

Gwhaley 05-05-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt Campbell (Post 646195)
Better buy that car..wife wont notice if you buy more tools and pile them around it..

See that is a win - win situation! Another car AND more tools! I like it!

Right now I am on the hunt for a new carb - the original is physically broken, which is why I think it has been parked for so long

whirnot 05-06-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwhaley (Post 646199)
See that is a win - win situation! Another car AND more tools! I like it!

Right now I am on the hunt for a new carb - the original is physically broken, which is why I think it has been parked for so long

Saw a whole wall of them at Berts.

Fred 05-06-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwhaley (Post 646182)
My brother in law pulled this 28 out of a friends barn last week. He gave me a call to help get it running.

Looks like it just needs a carb - everything else is there. Needs paint, but everything else is in good shape.

It has been sitting for 15 years in the back corner of the barn, and now the owner is looking to make some space. I might have to make him an offer on this one.

Attachment 129038

It shows 1929 with the door handles ??

Gwhaley 05-06-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 646394)
It shows 1929 with the door handles ??

Ok guys, maybe I need a lesson on telling the differences in years on Model A's.

The owner tells me it's a '28, but it is possible he is wrong.

So - door handles are on '29s, and 28's came with no exterior handles?

Rock Hornbuckle 05-06-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt Campbell (Post 646195)

Teddy Died in Jan of 1919. I think maybe it was Theodore Roosevelt Jr. that you speak of.:confused:

Gwhaley 05-10-2013 11:22 PM

Found a carb and installed it. No spark. Yippee. Time to learn all about the Model A ignition.

So far:

Battery is good
Wiring is correct

The car is an hour away from me, so I will be heading back Sunday to try and pinpoint the issue.

Tom Wesenberg 05-10-2013 11:52 PM

I'm sure the points need to be cleaned from setting so long. Twice my points oxidized after setting for 3 months in damp weather. Just use a points file to stroke the contacts a few times and wipe them clean with a small piece of cereal box or similar cardboard..

Rowdy 05-10-2013 11:56 PM

Don't get to carried away with ripping the electrical system all apart. Most spark issues tend to be simple problems, so check one thing at a time. Guessing with it sitting for a long time I would change the condencor just for good measure first. If it still has the original switch and armored cable make sure the cable if fully into the switch and not pulled out just alittle. From there I would make sure you have power to the switch and work your way to the dist. Rod

peewee2you 05-10-2013 11:56 PM

Make the offer and the deal before you get it running, once running price bound to go up!! and you did all the work.

Gwhaley 05-11-2013 12:12 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. My plan is to take it step by step - I found a troubleshooting guide to help:
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/terrystips/

The electrical trouble shooting section looks like it will help me out a lot.