The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where do these people come from? My laugh for the day. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254706)

Willit Stop 11-13-2018 12:28 PM

Where do these people come from? My laugh for the day.

I haven't driven my '36 coupe much lately so I blew off most of the sawdust yesterday and went for a little ride. It was getting low on gas so I pulled into a station. As I was pumping the usual 5 gallons and adding 2 ounces of MMO, some guy in his twenties walked by and said "Whoa dude! Is that a real '56 Bel-Air?"
I said "Yeah. Man, you sure know your cars".
I guess I should mention that he was pushing a shopping cart full of tattered garbage bags and didn't smell too good.
Dumb as a fence post but at least he appreciated old iron I guess.

stangblue 11-13-2018 01:16 PM

Re: Where do these people come from? My laugh for the day.

Reminds me time to reflect and count on our Blessings! California is going through some tough times!

Andy 11-13-2018 02:28 PM

I was at a show some years ago and had a poster up trying to sell a 55 Chevy project for a very low price. It was complete with pictures and detailed discription. I was in the host parking lot and had the poster up. I was in my 32 roadster high boy and a guy starts really looking the roadster over. He finally makes an offer way below the asking price of the 55. I realize he is trying to buy the roadster and not willing to pay the 55 price. He was very put out I did not want to sell the roadster and said ,Why did you put a poster up if you did not want to sell it?

scicala 11-13-2018 03:40 PM

Unfortunately a lot of these type people actually vote and produce children.

Sal

RalphM 11-13-2018 04:08 PM

I have had some of those with a flathead at car shows, usually I’m the only one with a flathead there. Like is that a V-6? Then I really confuse them by having them count the plugs.
Or I didn’t know Edelbrock made parts for these old engines, then I proceed to tell them about Vic Sr.

Willit Stop 11-13-2018 04:11 PM

B-O-B. I WAS in the right part of town. He was on the wrong planet.

4dFord/SC 11-13-2018 04:58 PM

I had a guy ask me to start the engine so he could hear how the 4bbl Holley sounded.

petehoovie 11-13-2018 05:31 PM

Had the Greyhound Dog on my '34 and was told by an event Judge to park with the other Jaguars....

deuce_roadster 11-13-2018 05:34 PM

Yep they are out there. I think I posted this once before but was at a car show with my 32 5w and 2 teens walked by, one telling the other that my car had a Corvette motor in it, and he could tell by the "finned valve covers". I just smiled.

tubman 11-13-2018 05:50 PM

I've told this one before too, but since we are telling stories, I had my Chrysler hemi-powered dirt modified parked on the main stretch of a dirt track after a vintage race a few years ago (we did that so the fans could come down and mingle with the racers and look at the cars). I overheard one guy telling his kid, "See son? That's flathead. You can tell because the spark plugs are in the middle of the head". He was pointing at my engine.

bobwellsnoveltyshop 11-13-2018 05:51 PM

I was selling parts at a swap meet in Indy and a couple of guys came up and started talking about carburetors and I said I had a 40 ford pickup and it had a MANA-A-FRE intake and carbs like the 32 JOHN MILNER'S in the American graffiti movie and the younger one said a what? and I said it had 4 two barrel carbs an he said you mean two four barrels and I said no it has 4 two barrels and he said you mean 3 two's and I said no it had 2 fours and he said they never made any after a while they started to leave and I said wait I have a picture of the engine and the man-a -fre, so I showed them the picture and I asked the young man how many carbs are on the manifold and he said 4 but they never made any??????? I guess a picture is not always right???

Talkwrench 11-13-2018 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes , it takes all sorts...
I probably wouldn't even lock my pickup [but unfortunately its illegal to do that here] because theres no one with enough intelligence / skill to drive it these days..:rolleyes:

Brendan 11-13-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willit Stop (Post 1695758)
I haven't driven my '36 coupe much lately so I blew off most of the sawdust yesterday and went for a little ride. It was getting low on gas so I pulled into a station. As I was pumping the usual 5 gallons and adding 2 ounces of MMO, some guy in his twenties walked by and said "Whoa dude! Is that a real '56 Bel-Air?"
I said "Yeah. Man, you sure know your cars".
I guess I should mention that he was pushing a shopping cart full of tattered garbage bags and didn't smell too good.
Dumb as a fence post but at least he appreciated old iron I guess.

there are a lot of homeless people in Santa Rosa, when i drive my 36 pickup or my 29 Roadster they always give me thumbs up or a wave

rotorwrench 11-13-2018 07:13 PM

Ron White had it right when he said "You can't fix stupid". It's best to not even try most times you encounter it.

19Fordy 11-13-2018 07:16 PM

That "hand drill" drill press photo is priceless.

A bones 11-13-2018 08:27 PM

Hey Talkwrench, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Talkwrench 11-13-2018 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by A bones (Post 1695944)
Hey Talkwrench, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

You like that one .. well this says it all to me these days....

24ruxstel1339 11-13-2018 09:10 PM

After twenty years of living with a mechanic, my wife is more knowledgeable than some about cars.
When we met, if she spoke of a car and you asked her what kind..."It was a green one...":rolleyes:

A bones 11-13-2018 10:50 PM

Found this years ago, in some car magazine. Fellow was standing next to his newly acquired Ferrari, on Rodeo Drive. An interested lady walked by was admiring the thing, noticed the Hood emblem and said. "My nephew just bought one of these new Mustangs."

50fordcoupeman 11-14-2018 01:28 AM

Had it happen again today...........fellow was looking at my avatar when I came out of the store. He started telling me all about-the year, engine etc. Of course he was all wrong about my "52". Some you fellas know him too..........