The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1934 Ford 3 Window Coupe TRUNK Hinge (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268178)

Brewsterbuff 08-20-2019 10:38 AM

1934 Ford 3 Window Coupe TRUNK Hinge

I went through the barn again and found the original trunk lid, body mount hinges were in another box, but I can't figure out how the body mounts go on. I decided they go on the top of the bracket but does the web on the hinge base casting go toward the front of the car or the back? It appears that the only good way to accomplish the task is to get inside the trunk, close the lid, mount the parts, and WORK FAST! THANKS, Don

deuce lover 08-20-2019 10:58 AM

Re: 1934 Ford 3 Window Coupe TRUNK Hinge

The block with the 4 holes mounts on top the bracket in the body.Take one of the "C" shaped arms off the lid and with the block in place and slot of the block facing front(as per Marts pic) put the "C" shaped piece in the block and use a bolt to pivot in it.Its got to swing in that block and with the parts off the lid is easier to figure it out.I have done this 3 times but its been a few yrs so can't remember it all in detail.

Mart 08-20-2019 11:44 AM

I'm just about to go out but could take some photos of my 33 5W hinges later if it would help. Hopefully they might be the same or similar enough to give a clue. The hinge mounts are complicated by having the mount for the rear window drip tray in the same area.

Mart.

Brewsterbuff 08-20-2019 01:01 PM

Mart, A couple of photos would be great. The hinge pieces on the trunk lid are still attached. The cast pieces that attach to the body are the ones that have me baffled. THANKS, Don

DavidG 08-20-2019 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The photos below show one of the pair of trunk mounting brackets attached to the upper back panel in a '33-'34 coupe (ignore the rumble seat latch, control rod, etc.). The hinges attach to those brackets which provide for a small amount of adjustment of the deck lid.

JSeery 08-20-2019 03:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I was trying to find a good photo, this is the best I have found so far.

Found one a little better.

Mart 08-20-2019 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just snapped this. It seems to me that you have to fit the hinge first up and behind the bracket and then attach the drip trough to the lower 2 bolts each side.

This is a 33 5w I can see a detail difference in the attachment of the drip tray in David's pic, I don't know if this is a 3w/5w thing.

I never removed the trunk hinges, these are as received, I did remove the drip trough to repair it.

Mart.