The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting Comments about you Ride (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269756)

rfitzpatrick 09-20-2019 03:37 PM

Interesting Comments about you Ride

Heard an interesting one lately?

Guy's wife next door saw my PicUp drive by and asked her husband:
"What WAS That??"

Perry 09-20-2019 04:15 PM

Re: Interesting Comments about you Ride

drove my 1930 tudor to church one Sunday. One of the kids told his mother,"Mr. Gordon has got a toy car"

CHuDWah 09-20-2019 05:08 PM

In the late-70s, my wife and I went to the Dairy Queen in our 30 CCPU. As we were sitting in the truck eating our cones, a family drove up with their preschool daughter. The little girl shouted excitedly, "Look Mom, it's the Waltons!" :D

Synchro909 09-20-2019 05:27 PM

Just a few weeks ago, we started a rally from a roadhouse so everybody could fuel up before we set off. As I was getting back into my A, someone pulled up alongside and asked "What year is it?"
I gave them what I thought was a sensible answer - "2019!"

CHuDWah 09-20-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1801277)
Just a few weeks ago, we started a rally from a roadhouse so everybody could fuel up before we set off. As I was getting back into my A, someone pulled up alongside and asked "What year is it?"
I gave them what I thought was a sensible answer - "2019!"

Why don't mules go to school?

Marcus 09-20-2019 06:59 PM

Took Ol' Clyde (29 CCPU) out for a limbering up and new fuel today: kid at the gas station, probably 15/16 years old, just oohed and awwed over Clyde; after looking inside and asking a zillion questions, asked the zinger: how do you turn on the AC?? I pointed to the open windshield, to which he responded: wow, how very cool! Ford should bring this concept back!

Kurt in NJ 09-20-2019 07:28 PM

"Is that one of them cars you have to hand crank?"

I proceeded to hand the crank out the window to him!!

He jumps back 2 steps holding both hands up--- NNOOO

I had the car prepared to start, was just going to step in the switch, so I got out, all the while talking, fitted the crank while talking, --- started perfectly, easy flip, 1 compression,I pulled the crank out all the while explaining the process, walking back to the door he asked about me starting the car, the look was priceless when it told him it was already running!! ---- there's a range of heat soak time that I don't willingly give hand cranking demonstrations though.

chrs1961815 09-20-2019 09:18 PM

Here's one that I get a lot: "That is a nice Model T!"

eagle 09-20-2019 10:17 PM

"My grandpa had a car just Exactly like that,....except I think it was a dodge"

Floats 09-21-2019 02:38 AM

I am in my 60s and a guy around my age asked how old my car was.
Replying its a 1928 model and therefor 91 years old.
Then he asked “did you buy it new?”
Cheers
Chris

marty in Ohio 09-21-2019 05:49 AM

I get asked a lot "how much is it worth." My response is usually, "why do you ask? Are you going to make an offer?"
Marty

Forddan 09-21-2019 06:53 AM

Pulling out of supermarket parking with my 1929 Tudor when a women asked me how old it was and WHY I was driving it. She added: The state has to prohibit these cars being in the streets. And she was really nervous and kind of angry.

I smiled her and answered: in the meantime I will drive and enjoy it. Honked my horn and left.

chap52 09-21-2019 07:28 AM

Kid at a drive through asked me if it was one of those old "six cylinder" cars...

A man at church tells everyone that I got the car new as a graduation present...

Chap

mike657894 09-21-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1801336)

surprisingly often.

Gold Digger 09-21-2019 09:43 AM

I went to see my mother that was living in a nursing home at the time and when I drove my roadster pickup in the women working there asked if that was my new pickup I was driving. I said yes and my mother said I want to go see it. I pushed her out side to see it and she said "I wouldn't have that old thing"

Bob Bidonde 09-21-2019 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many years ago (1960s) I was fueling my Coupe at an old time gas station. All of sudden I heard a yell from the garage, and an old-timer came running out at my Model "A." He opened the hood and kissed the engine! He explained to my astonishment that he worked on Ford's Model "A" Assembly Line installing running board splash aprons.

30 Closed Cab PU 09-21-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1801470)
Many years ago (1960s) I was fueling my Coupe at an old time gas station. All of sudden I heard a yell from the garage, and an old-timer came running out at my Model "A." He opened the hood and kissed the engine! He explained to my astonishment that he worked on Ford's Model "A" Assembly Line installing running board splash aprons.

No burned lips?

John Dayhuff 09-21-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1801336)

Yup get that one all the time, people refer to it as a Model T....ugh!!

SimplyCosmic 09-21-2019 03:31 PM

I'm always surprised at the number of "What year do you think that is?" "1940s?" conversations I overhear around my 29 Tudor.

ETAModel 09-21-2019 05:33 PM

Was Driving the '30 Fordor a month ago, about dark, & decided to get some gas. Stopped at an OLD gas station/convenience store in a really seedy part of town cause they sell non-ethanol gas. A totally-pimped out 80's Bagger Monte Carlo pulled up alongside, a 20 something year old behind the wheel, his stereo Thumping Hard!! He lowered his MC, asked what year she was. He couldn't hear me over his music, he killed his car, got out and walked over.

His baggy pants, Dew rag, and gold chains were a stark contrast to the Bare Bones '30 Sedan. He crawled ALL over the car; inside, outside, under the hood, got behind the wheel, asked a 1000 questions. Kept saying he's never seen anything like it. He was completely respectful, knew a lot about cars. I was polite as well and answered everything I could. We drew a small crowd of onlookers.

After about 20 minutes I got back behind the wheel and told him we were gonna make the drag and catch a drive-in movie...he said "do they still have those?" I laughed and said no.