The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Odometer reads high (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224432)

katy 07-11-2017 09:53 AM

Odometer reads high

Never noticed before but the odometer on our '31 CCPU reads about 1.6 miles for every mile traveled, almost like its indicating kilometers.
According to a GPS unit, when the speedometer says 30 we're actually going about 31, so the speedometer is pretty close.
Speedometer is round type, rear axle is 3.78 and the speedometer drive gear cover is marked 9-34.
Are gears or other parts available to correct this?
I've worked on other speedometers previously, but never an A speedometer.

Jim Brierley 07-11-2017 10:40 AM

Re: Odometer reads high

Your speedometer is very close, so the only thing that should be changed is in the speedometer head itself.

1930 coupe 07-11-2017 10:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Look at the charts and see if you have the correct gears.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-11-2017 03:00 PM

That's OK, you can BRAG about your FABULOUS Gas Mileage---
Bill Liar

papanick 07-11-2017 04:30 PM

it sounds like it is reading in Kilos. If you are going to change the gears that well put your speed off. It sounds like your top speedometer wheel is set for the mile reading be the gears that drive the mile bar are for kilo.

papanick 07-11-2017 04:34 PM

Is the speedometer marked in KILO. [email protected]

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-11-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papanick (Post 1497848)
Is the speedometer marked in KILO. [email protected]

Yo' Papanick,
Chief, my Dad, would have LOVED it:D He even wired his ammeter BACKWARDS, for LAFFS! AND for an excuse NOT to have to drive sumeone to TOWN.:rolleyes:
Chiefs' Son

katy 07-12-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Your speedometer is very close, so the only thing that should be changed is in the speedometer head itself.
When I asked about gears, I meant speedometer head internal gears, not rear axle or speedometer drive gears.

Quote:

Is the speedometer marked in KILO
Where would it be marked? There is nothing on the front to say MPH or otherwise.
I'll have to pull it out and look at the back.
I bought the truck in Montana 2 years ago, it had been refurbished (not restored) and the odometer only shows about 1200 so I'm assuming somebody had it apart and "serviced" it.

johnbuckley 07-12-2017 11:27 AM

The kph speedo has KILO written vertically with in the 0 ( of the 0kph).
I know of no other outside visual differences between the kilo and miles versions
Odo and trip for kms of course need different gears internally to the miles version.
I wonder if yours was originally a kph version and a "restorer" has sometime and put a mph decal on the speedo? Just a thought?... easy to change the speedo but changing odo and trip would involve sourcing different gears for the internals.

katy 07-13-2017 10:12 AM

I found out that the speedometer had been supplied by Bert's so I've sent them an email about it.

BoysToys1928A 07-14-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1497785)
That's OK, you can BRAG about your FABULOUS Gas Mileage---
Bill Liar

Okay Mr. Guru, (Liar) I have to ask... In a different post you stated that your honey help with everything but your meds... Are you telling the truth about that ??? Makes me wonder :D:rolleyes:

Larry

Paul Bennett 07-14-2017 07:37 AM

Have a conversation with 'Palo Alto Speedometer' as they are the end-all speedometer people. They will know the best avenue to proceed.

papanick 07-16-2017 10:08 AM

let me know what you find out. If they have put the mile decals on it that would set it for miles on the speed wheel but the gears in side would keep the mile bar in kilo if it was a kilo speedo to start with. If that is what is going on send it and I can change it a round to read all miles. [email protected]

Art Newland 07-16-2017 10:18 AM

Being in Canada I'd think you'd want it to read KPH.

katy 07-16-2017 10:24 AM

Steve at Bert's put me onto Mike at www.marksspeedometer.com.
I've been communicating with Mike about this problem and am sending the speedometer to him for corrections.

Sorry papanick, but you're just a little to late.

katy 07-16-2017 10:29 AM

I've been using Imperial and Metric measurements for years so either one works for me, it's kinda like speaking a second language. KPH is OK for modern stuff but I feel that the Model A came with MPH and miles on the odometer so why not leave it that way.