The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   F150 4 Speed Transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122804)

aboneskd 11-10-2013 12:27 AM

F150 4 Speed Transmission

Hi all, first post. I recently purchased a speedster project that has a F-150 OD transmission installed. Transmission is complete except for the cap, spring and washer that hold down the shifter. Anyone have any of these parts they are willing to part with or know where I can find them? Any help is appreciated.

colin1928 11-10-2013 04:09 AM

Re: F150 4 Speed Transmission

You might have more luck over on the hamb

Mike V. Florida 11-10-2013 05:00 AM

While there are knowledgeable people here that can and will help you, the sister site to this one, H.A.M.B. , has additional information and members that do hot rods and modified cars.

Tom Wesenberg 11-10-2013 06:34 AM

I would try some local tranny shops and junk yards.

QGolden 11-10-2013 07:54 AM

Hello and Welcome.
Several Speedsters here, and a few in construction. I am using a Borge Warner T5 in mine.

But there are a lot more folks at the HAMB that play with these Tranny's and will have parts, but there are probably more Model A Speedsters here that use original frame and running gears, except the tranny. It is a common feature to swap out as it can be done without destroying any of the originality of the chassis.

So post a wanted in the swap meet here as lots of us have A's and other old Fords, but cruise over and learn the HAMB too.

Both of these sites will serve you well as you learn the "Etiquette" at both of them.

Oh, and post some pictures! We love builds.

1931 flamingo 11-10-2013 11:32 AM

Local Ford Dealer??? Tranny shop, junk yard??
Paul in CT

machine girl 11-10-2013 11:37 AM

we have them, no longer aval from ford. pm for price NOT CHEEP.

Pete 11-10-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboneskd (Post 762033)
Hi all, first post. I recently purchased a speedster project that has a F-150 OD transmission installed. Transmission is complete except for the cap, spring and washer that hold down the shifter. Anyone have any of these parts they are willing to part with or know where I can find them? Any help is appreciated.

Try Ron Kelly in Texas. He used to convert those to model A's.

glenn in camino 11-10-2013 08:46 PM

I just put the spring and keeper back in my Model A transmission top today with the help of a friend/club member. We made a special tool to compress the spring. Be careful, its powerful

aboneskd 11-10-2013 09:39 PM

Tanx for all the replies. I'll give the HAMB a try as well. Trying all avenues in a attempt to locate these parts. I wasn't aware that "etiquette" was involved, just enjoy playing with my old cars. Glenn, thanx for the advice, I have never installed one.

QGolden 11-11-2013 07:01 AM

Any social group that brings like minded folks together has a certain level of etiquette that the existing members practice and new comers are expected to follow, even if they are not aware of it when they enter.

By "etiquette" i mean that the Ford Barn leans heavily towards restoration and originality while the HAMB leans towards Classic Hot Rods and Customizing.

Sometimes asking the wrong question at either site will generate a less than helpful response.

Chopping parts is not well tolerated here, and Rat Rods are not well tolerated there (nor here). Ask a question there regarding a stock setup, and someone will send you here. There is however some level of overlap with discussions on Speedsters on both sites, although here they tend to use pretty much stock drive trains, and there not so much. The HAMB Has a monthly "Banger Thread" with pretty good discussions on Ford 4 Cyl Flatheads.

silversink 11-11-2013 11:47 AM

So what your saying is Dropped axles, inverted intakes, juice brakes, hopped up bangers and 16inch rims don't belong on here. I didn't know it was that way.

machine girl 11-11-2013 12:03 PM

yup that's what many think,

CarlG 11-11-2013 12:54 PM

I generally keep what "modifications" I may or may not have to the PM area, or just to myself. No need to go home with a black eye for no reason at all.

aboneskd 11-11-2013 04:55 PM

I didn't intend to start a argument, just found a site that looked like fun. I like to drive my cars, if fact still own my high school Model A. Better brakes, lights, steering and power allow these cars to survive in the 21st century. They are not 'rat rods', and look basically stock, except a little tough to hide the 16" wheels, not that I want to hide them.

See ya on the road.

QGolden 11-11-2013 06:37 PM

No argument started, your car fits in here just fine, along with many others. This is just an example of how some conversation seem to go. . .:rolleyes:

QGolden 11-11-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversink (Post 762991)
So what your saying is Dropped axles, inverted intakes, juice brakes, hopped up bangers and 16inch rims don't belong on here. I didn't know it was that way.

Nope, did not say that at all.

bgarrett 12-13-2013 02:04 PM

It should be noted that the F150 4 speed is NOT the same as the 3 speed with overdrive. The four speed has a door for power take off and is a 1:1 ratio in 4th gear

Terry,NJ 12-13-2013 05:36 PM

We are preservationists. Keeping the model A Pretty much as Henry built it is our goal. HC heads, Juice brakes, even 16" wheels, Brighter lights, blinker lights, seat belts all seem to be , sorta OK, with most of us. A case for safety could probably be made for those and a few more. However the only times we would tolerate the cutting of sheet metal is for welling fenders and making, fitting or using patch panels. You wouldn't cut up the Betsey Ross flag would you? That's the historical context that we see our historical artifacts in.
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboneskd (Post 763163)
I didn't intend to start a argument, just found a site that looked like fun. I like to drive my cars, if fact still own my high school Model A. Better brakes, lights, steering and power allow these cars to survive in the 21st century. They are not 'rat rods', and look basically stock, except a little tough to hide the 16" wheels, not that I want to hide them.

See ya on the road.

spdway1 12-13-2013 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys jump all over this guys shit about being "Modified", but if he had a Mitchell unit, you would ROLL the red carpet out and go head over heals helping him....

Man, I wish I could help you out. Merry Christmas. :cool: