The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   cab heater for 30 coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229035)

Standing Elk 09-12-2017 09:34 PM

cab heater for 30 coupe

What was available for cab heaters in 1930? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

Charlie Stephens 09-12-2017 09:55 PM

Re: cab heater for 30 coupe

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Standing Elk (Post 1526516)
What was available for cab heaters in 1930? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

Aftermarket hot air heaters. They used a special manifold with a waffle shaped section on top. Required cutting a hole in the firewall. I think I would use a later hot water heater and try to mount it by drilling holes in the floorboard. Look on EBAY for picture of "ARVIN", a typical aftermarket hot water heater. These heaters are currently on EBAY, they are not mine and I don't know anything about them.

Charlie Stephens

KGBnut 09-13-2017 01:52 PM

Not to contradict Charlie, but depending on your climate, the exhaust manifold heaters as shown in his pictures may be plenty good enough...and are likely more readily available. Where I live in Connecticut, I drive my '30 Coupe year round with a heater very much like the Auto-lite in this pictures.

Look at your firewall, just behind the exhaust manifold. Don't be surprised if your car already has a hole there from somebody installing a heater long ago.

Ken

1930artdeco 09-13-2017 09:26 PM

If you go with the heater manifold be careful of two things. One, depending on where you live during the summer you WILL want to remove it as it will shorten your condenser life and roast you at the same time. And two, make sure you get the removable top with the manifold and that there are no cracks or missing chunks where the intake manifold screws go. There were a myriad of makers back then and trying to find the missing cover may be darn near impossible.

Mike

V4F 09-14-2017 08:05 AM

I like the hot water heater

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-14-2017 08:41 AM

Minerva had a RE-PRO exhaust heater. I added a computer case fan, over the outlet, inside & it about DOUBLED the air flow. It would keep PIZZA HOT!
Bill Italiano

Osage Orange 09-14-2017 09:58 PM

I found that the exhaust manifold heater is far more effective - and brings the heat sooner - than the hot water heater in a Model A. Since the early Fords didn't have a pressurized system, the hot water never got as hot as needed in the winter simply because the radiator worked quite well cooling the engine water when it was cold out. Exhaust heaters were the opposite: The more you ran the engine, the hotter they got.

Jacksonlll 09-15-2017 08:08 AM

Stay with the manifold heater. It is all you need. If you install a water heater, look out when you have to work on the car and take out the floor boards. Big job taking all that apart every time the floor comes out.

katy 09-15-2017 09:56 AM

There was also a heater called Southwind that ran on gasoline'

https://www.google.ca/search?q=South...espOzog4v6RDM:

Standing Elk 09-15-2017 02:10 PM

Thanks fellas for the info.

foxfire42 09-15-2017 02:51 PM

I had one that was a manifold heater but it was plumbed so the heat came in from the floor board not the firewall. It saved cutting a hole in the firewall. There was even a couple that heated the back seat area. Check out pg 125 and 133 in "Those Wonderful UNAUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES For Model A Ford"

taffrail 09-15-2017 05:12 PM

I have an Autolite in the ccpu and an Otwell in the tudor. The holes were there. I got the brand that lined up with the hole in the fire wall. The Otwell has a summer/winter vent cover. Great simple heaters for those chilly sunny winter days here in the northeast.