The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   helmet distributor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285651)

Alaska Jim 08-15-2020 09:12 PM

helmet distributor

Since Jim Linder ( Bubba's Ignition) is no longer doing distributors, who rebuilds and properly sets up the helmet type distributor. I have a friend with a 39 Ford deluxe, and he is having problems with the dist. I do not know anything about them, all my stuff is the 8ba style flatheads. I do not know of anyone here in the Anchorage/Palmer/Wasilla area of Alaska who has a dist. machine to properly set them up. anyone have any recommendations? All info appreciated. Thanks

Phil Gillespie 08-15-2020 09:21 PM

Re: helmet distributor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1920618)
Since Jim Linder ( Bubba's Ignition) is no longer doing distributors, who rebuilds and properly sets up the helmet type distributor. I have a friend with a 39 Ford deluxe, and he is having problems with the dist. I do not know anything about them, all my stuff is the 8ba style flatheads. I do not know of anyone here in the Anchorage/Palmer/Wasilla area of Alaska who has a dist. machine to properly set them up. anyone have any recommendations? All info appreciated. Thanks

Michael Driskell at 3rd Generation does these distributors. Recommended.
Phil NZ

Alaska Jim 08-15-2020 09:42 PM

any contact info for Michael Driscoll at 3rd Generation?

Kens 36 08-15-2020 09:48 PM

It is Michael Driskell (note spelling) in McMinnville, TN. It is best to call and talk directly to Michael at (844) 327-5988. He does a great job, quick turnaround.

Ken

cas3 08-15-2020 10:00 PM

i believe NY charlie does them too. [email protected]

4dFord/SC 08-16-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1920628)
any contact info for Michael Driscoll at 3rd Generation?

https://thirdgenauto.com/
Google is your friend.

adileo 08-16-2020 07:44 AM

Go with CharlieNY

Hoop 08-16-2020 08:02 AM

Alaska Jim, what problems does your buddy have with his distributor?

(By the way, Google is NOT "your friend" ... tracks and records everything you do on your computer.)

JM 35 Sedan 08-16-2020 09:32 AM

Michael Driskell @ Third Generation Automotive, aka "35fordtn" here on Fordbarn, and Charlie Schwendler, aka "Charlie ny" also here on Fordbarn, are both highly recommend individuals for early Ford V8 distributor repairs and timing set up, plus many other services. Both are also long standing members here on Fordbarn and can be contacted using the Fordbarn PM/Email system.

JSeery 08-16-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC (Post 1920701)
https://thirdgenauto.com/
Google is your friend.

Need to call, emails, text, PM, etc will not work! Call

JSeery 08-16-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 1920775)
Michael Driskell @ Third Generation Automotive, and Charlie Schwendler, aka Charlie ny are both highly recommend individuals for early Ford V8 distributor repairs and timing set up, plus many other services. Both are also long standing members here on Fordbarn and can be contacted using the PM system here.

Most likely will not work with Michael, need to call.

Alaska Jim 08-17-2020 02:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the information, I will pass it along. I have done business with Charlie before, but was not aware he did early distributors.

G.M. 08-17-2020 08:47 AM

Skip in Florida does the Stock type Ford Helmet Distrs. He has done
them for 25 years and does 4 or 5 every day. He uses the original
Ford~Heyer strobe machine that all the ford dealers and machine
shops used. He sets them to the original Ford specs and they usually
don't need any adjustments. If there is a ping you just move the
little adjustment screw on the side. Price is $60.00 if no major parts
are required. A running distributor usually don't need parts. G.M.

jwharton35 08-19-2020 01:34 AM

hey guys this is alaska jims friend with the helmet distributor. i just figured out today that my left side rotor cap was moved the tab that holds it in place must have broke off. i moved it back to where it needs to be however it is still retarded as in timing snd if i move it closer to where it should be it doesnt like to run well. my thought is maybe the vacuum advance is not working properly?any advice is welcome. also i do have petronix on it and did their tests.

Hoop 08-19-2020 06:00 AM

jwharton, good that you provided some information on the actual problem.

Sounds like something you can handle yourself and probably do not need to send out your distributor.

Is this a new install ... or have you been driving the car with it running well until this happened?

Did you install the Pertronix yourself?

There's a good chance that replacing the cap and a little adjusting on the initial advance will fix you up. (There's a tab with marks on it and a set screw on the side of the unit ... where is that set?)

jwharton35 08-19-2020 11:07 AM

ive been driving it actually the second distributor ive installed. i installed the petronix myself called the petronix people and did a few of their tests. the weird thing is that it is fully retarded and thats the best way it will run currently. when the new caps come in im hoping it will take care of the problem otherwise i suspect the only other thing could be the vacuum advance your thoughts?

35fordtn 08-19-2020 11:12 AM

Petronix does not work well on the early distributors. The timing is hard to set due to the fact they located the tab in the wrong spot... 32/48 distributors do not have a vacuum advance. They have a vacuum brake. This is certainly not your issue. What exactly is your issue? A miss?

-Michael Driskell

Hoop 08-19-2020 11:32 AM

OK, Michael is on the case. He has the specific Pertronix experience that'll help you.

35fordtn 08-19-2020 12:17 PM

As another note.. I have seen quite a few petronix units in the 32-41's fail.. So much so, that I refuse to install them anymore. Points will last you thousands of trouble free miles if setup properly.

JM 35 Sedan 08-19-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1921943)
Points will last you thousands of trouble free miles if setup properly.

Amen, to that.....and I might add.... a known good quality condenser along with that good quality set of points, and all components set up correctly, are very crucial in getting those many trouble free miles.