The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   wiring harness choices (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273583)

marshall k 12-04-2019 04:12 PM

wiring harness choices

Time to look into dash&lighting harness for the 37 deluxe. What are the opinions on the better harnesses for fit, color codes, diagrams, ect. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

rockfla 12-04-2019 04:25 PM

Re: wiring harness choices

Tyree Harris make original exact fit and color if that is what you are asking. IF you are a member of the EFV8 club his ad is in the V8 Times!! Have used his stuff....dead on exact!! (804) 556-5200 [email protected]

DavidG 12-04-2019 04:35 PM

Maybe for '37, but not 100% for some of the other of his harnesses. I favor Rhode Island Wiring.

rockfla 12-04-2019 04:35 PM

IF you are on the West coast we have used YNZ's yesterdays parts and also a very fine wiring harness PLUS they can modernize "anything" you want and still make it look "original"....we had them do a blinker mod, a master fuse and a few other "modern up grades and ALL installed looks as original!! (909) 798-1498 ynzyesterdaysparts.com

TJ 12-04-2019 05:17 PM

I have found that Sacramento Vintage Ford makes nice harnesses and they are very reasonably priced. I've installed four of their harnesses. I don't have any experience with the others that have been mentioned.

51504bat 12-04-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 1828214)
IF you are on the West coast we have used YNZ's yesterdays parts and also a very fine wiring harness PLUS they can modernize "anything" you want and still make it look "original"....we had them do a blinker mod, a master fuse and a few other "modern up grades and ALL installed looks as original!! (909) 798-1498 ynzyesterdaysparts.com

Another vote for YnZ. Not the cheapest but excellent quality and as stated they can modify the harness according to your specific needs.

Kube 12-05-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1828213)
Maybe for '37, but not 100% for some of the other of his harnesses. I favor Rhode Island Wiring.

x2 for RI.

JSeery 12-05-2019 10:06 PM

I've been happy with RI.

Tinker 12-05-2019 11:58 PM

I've never used Tyree Harris RI. lot of good recommendations from solid restorer type people.

I have used sacramento ford. Good period looking harnesses with new wires with looms. Bugs me to see pre50s cars with modern autozone wiring hack jobs, only because there are options. I'm weird.

40larry 12-06-2019 12:48 AM

My vote goes to Class Tech in Bend Oregon. They offer everything you may need for all our Early Ford V8s. Chris Olson is the man in charge and their products have been excellent and customer service has always been perfect.......

Tinker 12-06-2019 12:52 AM

http://www.bauerelectronicsinc.com/our-products.html

35fordtn 12-06-2019 02:04 AM

Chris Olsen at Bauer is the man. 90% of the harnesses we stock come from him. He refuses to reproduce a harness unless he has a original ford print or a Original harness in hand.

chiefdave 12-06-2019 06:14 AM

For non-stock wiring I have used Rebel Wiring in Etowah, TN several times. Tell them what you want and they will custom make to your specs. Each wire is marked about every foot and there is a generous tag end to allow for measuring/routing changes.

Branded 12-06-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1828679)
Chris Olsen at Bauer is the man. 90% of the harnesses we stock come from him. He refuses to reproduce a harness unless he has a original ford print or a Original harness in hand.

I used Bauer to completely rewire my 40 purchased from you. Everything fit and functioned as it should. Came with diagrams and made an easy installation.

Floyd 12-06-2019 02:01 PM

Class-tech which is Bauer is the major supplier for harnesses on the west coast for early Ford cars. They supply Sacramento and C& G and probably others selling top quality wiring. You will get a wiring schematic with each harness with Cris Olsen's name in the title block. Cris is the guy and you can call him up and he can answer any question and build anything you want. Ordering direct saves lots of money. They also make the Ford harnesses for another famous wiring harness company. (name not disclosed here.
Perfect harnesses for my 32 and 40 with turn signals with great drawings.

Floyd

TJ 12-06-2019 04:42 PM

Sacramento Vintage used to make their own harnesses. Did they stop doing it?

rotorwrench 12-06-2019 06:08 PM

Bauer harnesses are OK and I've used some of there stuff but the wire from Rhode Island is dipped in a varnish or some sort of clear coat to give it better long term survivability to the elements. I don't know about his brother at Narragansett wire but I figure they do the same basic thing.

I remember when I was just a kid and Pop's 51 Merc was only 10-years old or so, the wiring was already faded bad enough that you could just barely tell what the colors were. A person had to peel back the loom just to troubleshoot a problem.

Floyd 12-06-2019 08:30 PM

TJ , If you get a CAD drawing with the harness, even the simplest ones, that has Cris Olsen or his initials in the lower right hand corner, then you know he made it . It came from Classtech / Bauer

Tinker 12-06-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1828910)
Sacramento Vintage used to make their own harnesses. Did they stop doing it?

Not that I'm aware of. Always been my goto. Nice stuff.

marshall k 12-07-2019 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the info!