The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A oil pan question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198035)

Peter J 06-08-2016 05:03 PM

A oil pan question

Hey Guys,

Haven't pestered the old pros for awhile but got a question. A friend of mine purchased a "good" B engine for his 31 with one catch. No oil pan. He has plenty of A oil pans but oh well. I seem to recall that someone had a show and tell on modifying an A oil pan to fit the B engine.
Does any of you folks remember what link or publication this came from or am I just having a senior moment.

Thanks for any help!
Peter

H. L. Chauvin 06-08-2016 07:17 PM

Re: A oil pan question

Hi Peter,

Just one (1) "simple" suggestion.

1. If your friend could find a spare A flywheel cover, first, just remove the B flywheel cover.

2. Then, install the A flywheel cover, which will easily fit a B engine with no absolutely modifications.

3. Next, with an A flywheel cover, your A pan(s) will absolutely fit both the B engine block and the A flywheel cover.

4. No cutting ..... no welding ..... no valuable time loss ..... no four (4) letter words.

5. Also, a B starter motor will also fit the A flywheel cover; and an A starter switch will fit a B starter.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brierley 06-08-2016 08:37 PM

The A pan can be enlarged to fit around the B rear main cap. Best done on the bench so you can see what you are doing. By using ARP 8-point nuts on the B rods, they will clear the sides of the A pan. PM me and I'll send you that chapter of my Banger book.

Peter J 06-09-2016 11:47 AM

Thanks guys. Jim, what I neglected to say was that it has modified pistons (283's) and rods. It's the allen bolts on the rods that don't clear as you pointed out. I wonder if you can heat and possibly hammer out the bulges like on the B pan?? The enlarged rear main isn't a problem.

hardtimes 06-09-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 1306458)
Thanks guys. Jim, what I neglected to say was that it has modified pistons (283's) and rods. It's the allen bolts on the rods that don't clear as you pointed out. I wonder if you can heat and possibly hammer out the bulges like on the B pan?? The enlarged rear main isn't a problem.

Hey Peter,
Check out my past posts for pictures, etc that you mentioned :) !
My B pan had been mutilated by past owners, till it was not usable.
A buddy here and fine engineer type mind (ZZlegend), devised some rough tools from bits of steel. We used his ideas/tools and torch heat and small grinder to make bumps to mimic B pan bumps, and to enlarge rear main bearing area. It was done on an idea from Jim B book and came out GREAT and looking like factory made !

BTW..Do not overlook the suggestion to use the ARP 8 pt nuts ! I used them, as they grip with MORE threads than old stock nuts and are of modern hardened steel !

zzlegend 06-10-2016 05:07 PM

Here Peter. Check and see if this helps. Found Hardtimes old post from a while back. See post 10. ;)

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...dified+oil+pan

James Rogers 06-11-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 1306090)
Hey Guys,

Haven't pestered the old pros for awhile but got a question. A friend of mine purchased a "good" B engine for his 31 with one catch. No oil pan. He has plenty of A oil pans but oh well. I seem to recall that someone had a show and tell on modifying an A oil pan to fit the B engine.
Does any of you folks remember what link or publication this came from or am I just having a senior moment.

Thanks for any help!
Peter

I have several B pans that could be modified to use on an A application. Any might be for sale.

Peter J 06-11-2016 12:07 PM

Hey Guys. You came though again!! I think this is exactly what I need for this guys project. He has a complete shop and this should answer all his questions.

Thanks Again!
Peter

barnstuf 06-11-2016 05:59 PM

Post number two suggests using a Model B starter with a Model A starter switch on the project. All the Model B starters I have seen use a three screw pattern to mount the switch vs the Model A starter using a 4 screw pattern. It is not a routine easy swap.