The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Frame number stamping non-USA Model As (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184323)

johnbuckley 12-08-2015 05:18 AM

Frame number stamping non-USA Model As

Can anyone confirm the date when Canada stopped stamping the engine number on the chassis rails?
What about cars in UK, Aus, NZ South Africa and South America can anyone confirm whether these chassis were stamped or not? ( or stamping of the engine number anywhere else on the car for that matter)

Farrell In Vancouver 12-08-2015 02:23 PM

Re: Frame number stamping non-USA Model As

John the earliest unit we take care of is a mid 28 special coupe (Canadian). We found no trace of the stamping anywhere on the frame. Nothing on the 29' Tudor sedan either. The American produced trucks, 1930 A pick up and 1931 AA dually both came tattooed. Not much help but I bet our Australian brothers can add to this.

johnbuckley 12-08-2015 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll take that as the Canadian definitve.

DoubleDouble 12-08-2015 11:01 PM

Well My 1930 AA Is tattooed but can't make out all the #'s and it is a Canadian Truck

Steve Plucker 12-08-2015 11:18 PM

What does this group have to say about it?

5. www.cmaff.com Canadian Model A Ford Foundation

Pluck

johnbuckley 12-09-2015 05:13 AM

Thanks Steve - Will do.

Bick in New Zealand 12-11-2015 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the stamping on my late '31 Victoria that was assembled in Argentina. John Charlton in England confirmed his 180A from Argentina was stampwed the same.
All the Canadian chassis I have seen with numbers were early in production, i.e. handbrake beside the cowl. No definitive number sorry.

dave in australia 12-12-2015 02:23 AM

All my A's, 5, are 28-29. None have a stamped chassis.

johnbuckley 12-12-2015 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand (Post 1204294)
Here is the stamping on my late '31 Victoria that was assembled in Argentina. John Charlton in England confirmed his 180A from Argentina was stampwed the same.
All the Canadian chassis I have seen with numbers were early in production, i.e. handbrake beside the cowl. No definitive number sorry.

Thanks. Do you think this indicates that the chassis was stamped to match the accompanying engine at River Rouge before it was crated and shipped to Argentinia ( presumably in Knocked Down form). Or do you think Argentine received batches of engines and fitted them to batches of chassis and then stamped each chassis?

Steve Plucker 12-12-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand (Post 1204294)

Although the number founts in this example is not what the USA founts are, it still reflects the change in the "6". (The 1, 6 and 9 were chnaged early 1931).

Pluck

john charlton 12-12-2015 02:21 PM

My Dec 1930 Canadian town sedan (Murray body) has no frame number . No number on 1929 English car frame . No number on English 1930 68B cabriolet Very late 1931 English tudor is stamped All my USA frames are stamped . The English frames do seem random altough maybe early frames were not and late frames were could be the frame stamper guy took a tea break now and again

John in cold dark wet Suffolk County England, nearly time to head for sunny AZ .

31 RPU 12-12-2015 04:13 PM

Early 30 Canadian Model A Roadster, no frame number.

31 RPU

Tinbasher 12-13-2015 05:14 PM

Yes, as far as we know Canadian Model "A"s only had the engine number for a Serial #. No stamping on the frame. My Oct. 28 Sport Coupe has no frame number. Maybe some one with a earlier car can add to the discussion.

John Poole In Canada

Don S 12-13-2015 07:15 PM

My Canadian 31 Coupe is stamped on the front cross member I F 3594,which I think was built in the east Windsor plant in Ontario Canada. It is also registered under that number here in BC

Julian Wills 12-14-2015 03:35 AM

I am in South Africa and have 2 Canadian assembled '28 sport coupes in RHD.

The first has no visible chassis number and the assembly plant no (F 752 from Rouge) was used as the VIN no on the registration certificate. The engine no indicates Mar '28 manufacture.

The other has a chassis number AAPV028981015.... stamped on lhs frame in engine bay (but I think that this was stamped much later at the behest of an officious licensing officer) and the assembly plant no (F 313 from Rouge) on the inside body crossmember . The engine no indicates June '28 manufacture.

Bader 12-14-2015 11:03 AM

I have several a frames,like a dozen,some early,some later,none are stamped.

colin1928 12-15-2015 02:43 AM

None of mine were factory stamped

Steve Plucker 12-15-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S (Post 1205353)
My Canadian 31 Coupe is stamped on the front cross member I F 3594,which I think was built in the east Windsor plant in Ontario Canada. It is also registered under that number here in BC

So maybe guys are looking in the wrong spot on these Canadian produced frames??? Maybe they should be looking on the front cross member???

Interesting.

Pluck

johnbuckley 12-15-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Plucker (Post 1206205)
So maybe guys are looking in the wrong spot on these Canadian produced frames??? Maybe they should be looking on the front cross member??? Interesting. Pluck

I've been told "The letter on Canadian cross numbers indicated 'T' for Toronto, 'M' Montreal, W Winnipeg, V Vancouver. And the cross member stamp was progressive on all assembly lines, including those in the States, sometime neglected in commonwealth countries OR placed elsewhere in foreign country assemble plants. However, some shifts, or other issues, would find no ID number on the cross frame." Must admit I've not noticed a cross-member stamp on anything other than my present Canadian Tudor- but there again I haven't been looking hard(- until now!). Presumably the cross member stamp was stamped when the body was made, as opposed to the chassis frame stamp which was made ( if at all)at the time the engine was fitted to the chassis frame. (PS is use of the word "chassis" a British english thing? do you use the word in the USA?)

motordr 12-15-2015 12:50 PM

The F number is a body number stamped on the subframe crossmember. F could indicate assembly at Ford, Ontario.
I believe only very early 1928 Canadian frames were stamped, later A frames had no stamp. Most Canadian 1932 frames were not stamped, from what I have observed.