The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Exhaust Manifold Gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250711)

Cape Codder 09-03-2018 08:22 AM

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I'm changing the Exhaust Manifold/Intake Manifold Gasket but can't remember which way the smooth part of gasket goes? Does the smooth part go toward the block or toward the Exhaust/Intake Manifold?

Thanks for your time.

katy 09-03-2018 09:09 AM

Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket

I don't think it matters, both the block and manifolds are cast iron.
I like to put a thin coating of graphite grease on both sides of the gasket.

jw hash 09-03-2018 09:10 AM

the smooth side goes out towards the manifold

Cape Codder 09-03-2018 09:25 AM

Thanks to jw hash & katy for your response and info!

johnbuckley 09-03-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw hash (Post 1670757)
the smooth side goes out towards the manifold

Why? Curious as I am a bit surprised as I would have thought it didn't matter other than if the crimp makes an indentation when its easier to flat the manifold rather than the block - same as the cylinder head/block gasket scenario.

John Stone 09-03-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 1670850)
Why? Curious as I am a bit surprised as I would have thought it didn't matter other than if the crimp makes an indentation when its easier to flat the manifold rather than the block - same as the cylinder head/block gasket scenario.

This is what I always thought.

Jacksonlll 09-04-2018 12:01 PM

The heat barrier goes toward the hot manifold to reflect the heat away from the engine.

1931 flamingo 09-04-2018 02:36 PM

Depends on which gasket he was using.
Paul in CT

I like the late 31 copper that drops into place. Much easier to change if you have to.

James Rogers 09-04-2018 05:32 PM

Johnbuckley and John Stone are both correct.

Kurt in NJ 09-04-2018 06:03 PM

The A&L gasket has the crimped over part on both sides

Cape Codder 09-04-2018 09:46 PM

Well I thought I should get back to the board.
I changed the Exhaust Manifold Gasket after finding it had a couple area's of leakage and also the Carb. gasket. I installed it with the SMOOTH side toward the manifold's taking the advice of jw hash because I DIDIN'T know which way. The car does run really nice now. And no I am not going to turn it around. Just hope it stays that way as I will be on my way to the New England Meet in two weeks from tomorrow, Wednesday!

Thanks to ALL for your input and suggestions.

CWPASADENA 09-04-2018 10:24 PM

Just a suggestion.

I use the original type copper gaskets, as stated above, the late 31's work very well.

I put the smooth side toward the manifold. I use a thin coat of high temperature RTV (silicone) I use the gland rings if at all possible.

Retighten the nuts after a few heat cycles and again after a hundred miles or so. I have had VERY good life from the gaskets doing it this way.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Chris W.

Hoogah 09-05-2018 01:20 AM

The gasket that I installed over the weekend came with instructions that indicated that the copper side faces the manifold, so that's the view of the manufacturer too!

Bob-A 09-05-2018 07:25 AM

I use the tin clad full length replacement manifold gasket. I spray both sides with Copper-Coat and let it air dry for a couple of minutes until tacky.;)

Bob-A:D