The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   41 coupe wheel bearing service (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261664)

Ralph S. 04-11-2019 05:35 AM

41 coupe wheel bearing service

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to clean and repack the wheel bearings on my car. I'd like to have all the parts I will need on hand before I start tearing things apart. What will I need as far as seals and all the miscellaneous parts go. Wheel bearings themselves still seem to be in good shape, or at least are not showing any signs of going bad. Thank you for your help

34PKUP 04-11-2019 07:12 AM

Re: 41 coupe wheel bearing service

Until you dismantle and inspect what you have, there is not any way anyone can tell what you will need.
The seals should be replaced and they as well as bearings, (if needed) are available from various vendors, such as this--------------

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=48-1190-A

Ralph S. 04-11-2019 09:40 AM

What I'm trying to find out is how many seals is there for the front and rear wheels. Is there an inner and outer seals or just one? Is there anything else that has to be replaced and can't be reused when wheel bearings are pulled?

RalphM 04-11-2019 09:46 AM

There are inner seals on both front and rear hubs. The rear hubs also have a seal that goes on after the drum is installed, over the axle before you put the washer and nut on. It’s more of a cardboard washer, than a seal.
I would prefer to reuse original bearings that are in good shape, than some of the stuff that’s out there today. Or if you prefer try to find some NOS/NORS bearings.

Charlie Stephens 04-11-2019 10:05 AM

Cotter keys? Felt washer for the rear?

Charlie Stephens

Drbrown 04-11-2019 10:11 AM

Aside from testing for front wheel bearing play while on the car, inspect the bearing races for uneven wear and over-heating marks.

2 x RalphM's recommendation regarding using NOS products. I have seen some forum members sometimes say they have trouble getting good quality seals.

I don't see you mentioning wheel bearing grease but you want a long fiber (high temp if possible) wheel bearing grease such as Sta-Lube SL3131 which is available at most NAPA stores or via Amazon on the internet where you may get lower pricing and free shipping. I buy my tranny and banjo Sta-Lube gear greases there.

RalphM 04-11-2019 11:40 AM

Oops, forgot cotter pins!
Charlie,
those washers come in felt? The ones I’ve seen were always like a pressed cardboard.

Charlie Stephens 04-11-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1745883)
Oops, forgot cotter pins!
Charlie,
those washers come in felt? The ones I’ve seen were always like a pressed cardboard.

You are right. I should have said "fiber". The ones I have seen look more like brake shoe lining.

Charlie Stephens

Charlie Stephens 04-11-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph S. (Post 1745846)
What I'm trying to find out is how many seals is there for the front and rear wheels. Is there an inner and outer seals or just one? Is there anything else that has to be replaced and can't be reused when wheel bearings are pulled?

You are going to find only one seal in the rear hub. There is a second seal inside the axle housing. This second seal is not normally replaced unless it is leaking and required the rear end be disassemble to replace it.

If your vehicle has hydraulic brakes I would recommend adding safety hubs or clips while you are working on it.

Charlie Stephens

RalphM 04-11-2019 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and your going to need one of these;

deuce_roadster 04-11-2019 06:19 PM

I second what RalphM shows in his picture if the hubs are properly tightened. KRW rear hub puller.
If the rear wheel bearings are Ford Script, the cage that separates the rollers is hardened. On most new replacement bearings, this is soft metal. If rear wheel bearings are not Script, test the separator with a file to verify they are hard. If a file cuts it you should look for good used or NOS bearings as these soft parts can go away pretty quickly.

51woodie 04-11-2019 06:45 PM

I'm not sure what style hub is on a '41, whether it is a ring or groove type, but you can check what Vintage Precision has. I bought one for my '46 and it is excellent. I see the price has gone up by $25.00 since I bought mine.

http://www.vintageprecision.com/prod...ers/index.html

fortyonerag 04-12-2019 05:03 AM

41 has a groove in the hub for the puller. The tool is a great idea. There are get arounds, but the tool is the best way to go.