The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   More " Crab" praise !!! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116983)

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-10-2013 08:30 AM

More " Crab" praise !!!

Every now and then ya just got to stop and say " WOW" !!
Every day i get at least one email wanting a suggestion on the latest electronic whiz bang distributor or flamethrower etc just for the very special flathead being built some where in the country.
Usually they have already spent there hard earned cash on the latest off shore piece of billitt bling and it just doesnt work the way it was advertized !!!

The early Ford distributors are top notch all the way with very little built in problems if any at all.
The cast iron crab has become my favorite and there doesnt seem to be a better offering out there at all !!!
Just finished this one , its a cast iron two bolt crab with heavy duty brass contact ignition points, new vacuum brake all lubed and painted up with black appliance paint complete with "Bubbas Decal".
I ran this one at 6000 rpm for 20-30 minutes this morning. Advance was 22 degrees at 2500 rpm . Some stuff you just cant beat the factory designs.!!:eek::D-

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psf7ae16ea.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps4bf450cb.jpg

JM 35 Sedan 09-10-2013 08:58 AM

Re: More " Crab" praise !!!

As usual, nice looking work Bubba! I agree that you can not go wrong with an original Ford helmet or crab distributor that's built well and tuned correctly. It's tough to rebuild an electronic distributor on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Mart 09-10-2013 09:00 AM

Nice job, Bubba, it looks great.

I'm running aluminium bodied crabs on my roadster and coupe, Bubba. Is there a distinct advantage to a cast iron bodied one over an aluminium one?

Mart.

flat-v8 09-10-2013 09:01 AM

Beautiful! I would like to buy one for a spare. What would a complete unit like that one cost? $$$$

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flat-v8 (Post 723041)
Beautiful! I would like to buy one for a spare. What would a complete unit like that one cost? $$$$

$200 with cap and rotor, $150 without cap and rotor........ready to run in cast iron....or aluminum.....

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-10-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 723038)
Nice job, Bubba, it looks great.

I'm running aluminium bodied crabs on my roadster and coupe, Bubba. Is there a distinct advantage to a cast iron bodied one over an aluminium one?

Mart.

Not really , basically the same except heavier cast iron..
I just like the look of the cast with black appliance paint ......

flat-v8 09-10-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 723089)
$200 with cap and rotor, $150 without cap and rotor........ready to run in cast iron....or aluminum.....

Great! I'll mow a few more yards and send you the money, thanks!

Ol' Ron 09-10-2013 11:54 AM

The only thing I dis like about the "Crab" is the lack of advance at cruise, any suggestions.

Karl Wolf 09-10-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 723123)
The only thing I dis like about the "Crab" is the lack of advance at cruise, any suggestions.

I have a fair amount of experience with water cooled VW's. My 1990 GLI had a 16v engine with a vacuum connection to the ignition computer. (Not on the distributer) I have several of these boxes, took one apart to see the vacuum connection to a computer chip like unit.

My conclusion is that this works as an off distributer advance, I am curious to see if someone with a more thorough grasp of electronics could set this into a usable package to run as an addition to the crab distributer on a 59AB engine.
Karl

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-10-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 723123)

Actually Ron the crab usually runs full advance at cruise rpms.
Typical advance is 22 degrees at 2500rpm.
Depends on what you call cruise rpm , a normal old ford v8 would be turning 2500 at 50-60 mph for sure .
Overdrive would change the numbers a bit , our 49 Ford truck with five speed will run 60 mph at 1800 etc......

Rowdy 09-10-2013 01:17 PM

Looks nice Jim. I agree for the stock look the cast version looks great done that way. Rod

OLD...BILL 09-10-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 723036)
As usual, nice looking work Babba! I agree that you can not go wrong with an original Ford helmet or crab distributor that's built well and tuned correctly. It's tough to rebuild an electronic distributor on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Like JM 35:D says NICE WORK AS ALWAYS:) from you and your guys.
Now the question: Is two for one still alive? or make that three for one plus one good case with good cam and weights :confused: I'am sure I can find your address, say the word and there on there way ... thanks .... :cool:OLD....,BILL:cool:

JM 35 Sedan 09-10-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD...BILL (Post 723275)
Now the question: Is two for one still alive? or make that three for one plus one good case with good cam and weights :confused: I'am sure I can find your address, say the word and there on there way ... thanks .... :cool:OLD....,BILL:cool:

Here you go Old Bill.....:)

Bubba's Hot Rod Shop
1330 Main Street
Speedway, Indiana 46224
1-888-809-3835
[email protected]

BUBBAS IGNITION 09-10-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD...BILL (Post 723275)

No the two and three for one deal is off for now. May bring it back later.
Just finishing the last one , only a few more left to ship etc....

OLD...BILL 09-10-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 723299)
Here you go Old Bill.....:)

Bubba's Hot Rod Shop
1330 Main Street
Speedway, Indiana 46224
1-888-809-3835
[email protected]

Thanks John, don't know what I would do with another one:confused: I have three Bubbas built on the shelf now. plus some more, look good enough to run, with caps ??... OLD....BILL :cool: