The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Valve Guide Seal Installation The Easy Way (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276996)

cbillelder 02-20-2020 05:12 PM

Valve Guide Seal Installation The Easy Way

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys-
Thought I would share my idea with you for installing those pesky rubber seals on your valve guides. Anyone who has access to a lathe can make this handy little tool and save themselves sore fingers. It's made of aluminum and is basically a double cone. Check out the pictures. The cone is 1 inch long and is 11/16" at the small end and 1.030" inch at the large end. The diameter at the small end isn't critical but the large end diameter needs to match that of your guides. The inside cone is turned to match the angle on the end of your valve guides and it is drilled and tapped for a 5/16" bolt. That inside cone keeps the cone centered on your guide while the ring goes on. Just oil things up and push the ring on. Simple.

Elmo Rodge 02-20-2020 05:40 PM

Re: Valve Guide Seal Installation The Easy Way

I like that very much.
Wayno

Flathead 02-20-2020 05:55 PM

Nice workmanship on that tool :)

macdonge 02-20-2020 06:55 PM

Never had particular difficulty getting the o-ring on the guide itself. The bigger problem has been getting the guide into the guide bore without the o-ring hanging up. On intakes, once the o-ring is put on the guide, I use an exacto knife to shave approximately 1/32” off over ~1/3 of the o-rings' circumference (before applying lubriplate & inserting into block). Then I orient the shaved portion of the o-ring toward the intake port (sharp edge of guide channel) so it eases in to the guide bore.

Ol' Ron 02-20-2020 07:23 PM

Never use them. RV works very well. However, that is an interesting tool. One thing ablut flathead builders, most a lazy, so they make things easier.

19Fordy 02-21-2020 10:49 AM

That tool is a great idea. Any chance of posting a dimensioned sketch?
Will it work for "square edged" seals?

Fordestes 02-23-2020 05:04 PM

where can I buy the correct "O" rings for the guides instead of the stock square cut quad ring style seals , are those rings a Viton , Butyl rubber, silicone or neoprene material ? I have looked and can't locate the correct size rings, we have a supply house here that can get or make what I want if I can give them the size and material I want.
thanks

Ronnieroadster 02-23-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordestes (Post 1855017)
where can I buy the correct "O" rings for the guides instead of the stock square cut quad ring style seals , are those rings a Viton , Butyl rubber, silicone or neoprene material ? I have looked and can't locate the correct size rings, we have a supply house here that can get or make what I want if I can give them the size and material I want.
thanks

The Best brand Flathead Ford gasket sets include the round valve guide seals your looking for. Another source for the round seals is Gotham Auto Parts you can purchase any of the valve train parts from James he can supply you with a set of 16 seals .
Ronnieroadster