The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   pre-bent brake line kit - 39/40 Ford quality (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275822)

Kube 01-23-2020 07:56 PM

pre-bent brake line kit - 39/40 Ford quality

Someone had fairly recently asked me how the pre-bent brake line kits are for '39 / '40 Fords. Unfortunately, I can't recall who...

The kits do come with pre-bent lines as the advertising states. However, they must be bent to fit a '66 Chevelle or something as they are not even close to proper for a '39 / '40 Ford.
Total waste of money.
The kit I'd purchased C&G and as I recall was around $150.
Yes, I have extremely nice authentic lines to compare.
No, I did not call C&G. They should be ashamed...

35fordtn 01-23-2020 08:34 PM

Re: pre-bent brake line kit - 39/40 Ford quality

Mike,
Jerry Grayson used to make the kits for C&G his were very good fitting pre bent lines and what were installed on my 40; unfortunately Jerry passed away sometime ago and his fixtures he sold off long before he died.. I do not know who acquired them. . In recent years I "Believe" they are selling Classic tube brand lines. I bought a set direct from Classic Tube for a 1946. They wound up in my dumpster and I made my own. They looked promising as they had the proper armor springs but were nowhere close. I have a large stash now of the armor springs if you need any.

Charlie Stephens 01-23-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1844686)
Someone had fairly recently asked me how the pre-bent brake line kits are for '39 / '40 Fords. Unfortunately, I can't recall who...

The kits do come with pre-bent lines as the advertising states. However, they must be bent to fit a '66 Chevelle or something as they are not even close to proper for a '39 / '40 Ford.
Total waste of money.

Please call C&G. If they are getting defective/substandard parts from their suppliers they need to know it or the rest of us will be next. Let us know their response, that is the important part.

Charlie Stephens

philipswanson 01-23-2020 09:25 PM

I went with Classic Tube. Fit great, with very little hand forming except where the straight runs were too long to fit in the boxes. In those cases, it was easy to straighten them out. I bought stainless for my '40 wagon. Mild steel is also available. It came with all the correct shielding, hold down brackets, fittings, etc. A pleasure to install.

https://classictube.com/

I would never go to C&G for anything and they are in my backyard. All they do is supply Carpenter and Drake stuff.

JM 35 Sedan 01-24-2020 09:53 AM

At one time the Early Ford Garage, in Covina, California (Richard Lacy & Son), sold preformed hydraulic brake lines (probably not inexpensive) for early Ford V-8's, that could be purchased separately, or with their hydraulic brake conversion kits. Not sure what they sell, and have available today.

Tim Ayers 01-24-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1844701)
Mike,
Jerry Grayson used to make the kits for C&G his were very good fitting pre bent lines and what were installed on my 40; unfortunately Jerry passed away sometime ago and his fixtures he sold off long before he died.. I do not know who acquired them. . In recent years I "Believe" they are selling Classic tube brand lines. I bought a set direct from Classic Tube for a 1946. They wound up in my dumpster and I made my own. They looked promising as they had the proper armor springs but were nowhere close. I have a large stash now of the armor springs if you need any.

Interesting. The armor springs go on the bends near the wheels, correct?

My list of things I need from you keeps getting longer with each post you make. Haha.

19Fordy 01-24-2020 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Correct. Here's a photo of 1940 OEM armor springs.

Ken/Alabama 01-24-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1844686)

Total waste of money.

Thanks for the feedback. I had asked you about pre-bent brake lines with the armor springs.

5851a 01-24-2020 10:46 AM

Probably 30 years ago I bought a coil of that brake line armor from a GM dealer. Can't remember the part #, it was maybe 25' in a small box. Maybe a person can still get it.

Tim Ayers 01-24-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1844829)
Correct. Here's a photo of 1940 OEM armor springs.

Thank you.

CA Victoria 01-24-2020 11:04 AM

To tag onto mikes post....
To make your own lines is not expensive & pretty straight forward. ESP if you are replacing your system.
I replaced all of the lines on my F1. After a few times making practice double flares yours will look like a machine made fitting.
Although I bought the double flare tool, Napa had one to loan out. I had an inexpensive swap meet tubing bender but for small steel lines having an assortment of pvc to bend a radius around is all that’s needed.
A number of sources sell the steel line and fittings in a kit for under 40 bucks.

35fordtn 01-24-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Victoria (Post 1844846)
To tag onto mikes post....
To make your own lines is not expensive & pretty straight forward. ESP if you are replacing your system.
I replaced all of the lines on my F1. After a few times making practice double flares yours will look like a machine made fitting.
Although I bought the double flare tool, Napa had one to loan out. I had an inexpensive swap meet tubing bender but for small steel lines having an assortment of pvc to bend a radius around is all that’s needed.
A number of sources sell the steel line and fittings in a kit for under 40 bucks.

Exactly, very cheap to make on your own. Attached is photos of the armor on some NOS Ford lines I have. I also have 3600 feet of cadmium plated armor here if anyone needs any... it would be priced pretty cheap.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8d098d2f2e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7940fe138d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...914f31cdbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kube 01-24-2020 06:10 PM

Guys, I have made more sets of lines than I can recall properly. I know how to double flair and bend.
At the time I needed the last set of lines, I was unable to get a set of straight lines - the typical out of stock routine.
As I didn't realize I could purchase the armor, I took a chance on the pre-bent lines.
So, I have learned two things during this debacle. 1) the pre-bent lines are obviously not pre-bent to fit a '40 Ford. And 2) I can purchase armor.

35fordtn 01-24-2020 06:11 PM

Mike do you use stainless or steel lines?

KiWinUS 01-24-2020 06:21 PM

Looks like steel as you should not double flare stainless.

35fordtn 01-24-2020 07:08 PM

I’ve not used stainless lines before. Didn’t know you can’t double flare them! Learned something new to me that’s likely basic knowledge, and perfect timing as I was about to order stainless lines to bend some up for a project...

KiWinUS 01-24-2020 07:26 PM

Stainless is all we use on our race cars. It will split if you double flare it. BBR racing solutions here in Charlotte can scan a line & the bend per the scan. We use female nuts with a backer the screw onto male AN fittings but I’m sure they could use regular male brake line nuts. I could ask the owner when I return from NZ as he is a friend of mine.

Kube 01-24-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 1844964)
Mike do you use stainless or steel lines?

steel.

95476 01-24-2020 07:39 PM

Mike, Maybe you can list some of that armor on EBAY.
I just did a set of line without the armor but would like to make a few sets of '34 lines using Richard Lacy's as patterns.

Tinker 01-24-2020 11:20 PM

Does Lacy not do them anymore? Mine were super nice with all the spring rock guards were the lines were exposed to the road (39). All hardware also, can't remember the cost but remember it all fit well.