The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Turn signal flasher (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267561)

Tom-MI 08-08-2019 01:46 PM

Turn signal flasher

This may seem elementary but I need some help. I am making up some turn signals. All seemed to be going good until I got to the flasher. It is a three prong flasher. There is a "P" at the 12 o'clock position. A "L" at the 3 o'clock position and a "X" at the 9 o'clock position, What wire is suppose to go to each letter. There are no clues on the can.. I tried a picture but the markings are too faint to read.

Thanks

Jersey Devil 08-08-2019 01:55 PM

Re: Turn signal flasher

Tom

X is where voltage is applied
L. Goes to turn signal switch
P is for pilot light on turn signal switch if provided.

If you google 3 post flasher there are a few diagrams.

Hope this helps,

Tom

sdpine29 08-08-2019 01:56 PM

If I remember X goes to fused power L goes to load (the switch) and P is pilot light on the switch or on the dash. Try that.....sam

JSeery 08-08-2019 03:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of diagrams. I notice one diagram has the flasher as the power source for the indicator and the other one has the flasher as the ground for the indicator.

slowforty 08-08-2019 04:22 PM

Also make sure the turn signal bulbs are large enough to make the flasher operate.

Tom-MI 08-08-2019 11:48 PM

Thanks Guys! Everything is working as it should!

RalphM 08-09-2019 01:35 AM

Maybe I need to switch to a three prong flasher and put a light in. I’ve been tooling around in my AV8 and thinking my signals were working, but tonight another car and I were both making lefts on a green light opposite each other. He seemed hesitant so when I stopped, I checked my signals and sure enough, it quit working.

Lawson Cox 08-18-2019 07:31 PM

On the subject of turn signals. Anyone know of a loud "clicker" to use to indicate signals are working. The little "beeper" is annoying as Chebbys"

edhd58 08-18-2019 07:47 PM

i use a "heavy duty" one, with 1157 up front and led at rear, it clicks fairly loud

Graeme / New Zealand 08-19-2019 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson Cox (Post 1789403)
On the subject of turn signals. Anyone know of a loud "clicker" to use to indicate signals are working. The little "beeper" is annoying as Chebbys"

Lawson I use a Tridon / Novita LL535 6v 3 pin flasher from Rock Auto ( USA made, don't get fooled by chinese made L535) plenty loud to hear. Got mine mounted behind the radio grill in dash... don't need no annoying "beepers".

GB