The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Driving across the border (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104837)

Jordan 04-30-2013 03:37 PM

Driving across the border

On our trip to Michigan, we plan on driving across the border into Canada and then just turning back around. (Just to say we've driven to Canada). I was just wondering if any of you northern people knew what it would take to get us and our A's across the border? Also, what's the weather like in mid-May? As y'all know, Model A's don't hold much luggage so I need to know what to pack!

Thanks!

marc hildebrant 04-30-2013 03:56 PM

Re: Driving across the border

Bring your passport. The Canada people are great and polite, the US customs people can be rough even for US citizens. A passport is the only way to go.

Marc

swo4rd 04-30-2013 04:17 PM

You will be assessed an Antique Import duty fee going in...

Ed Northrop 04-30-2013 04:38 PM

I drove a antique car to a show across the border about 4 years ago and I do not remember any fee. My problem was it took 2 hrs in line to get back across.:(

WTSHNN 04-30-2013 04:51 PM

You will need a passport to drive into Canada.
-Tim

160B 04-30-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swo4rd (Post 642531)
You will be assessed an Antique Import duty fee going in...

We drove our Model A Ford to the 2003 Northwest Regional meet in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and to the 2010 MAFCA National Meet in Vancouver BC, Canada and all we needed to get in and out was our passport, we took along proof of insurance but there was no Antique Import Duty fee.

Make sure you know what they allow across the border and do not take any handguns!!

Gord. B by the bay 04-30-2013 05:16 PM

The route with the least problems will be cross from Detroit Mich drive along the Blue water Highway (just a nice country drive in Canada for i hour then return back to the USA from Sarnia to Port Huron on the twin Blue water Bridges. No jams no traffic a nice country no hills all paved roads all you need is a Passport and learn how to say "EH" that would be some nice Have a great and safe trip
Gord. B by the Bay Canadian

160B 04-30-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 642499)
On our trip to Michigan, we plan on driving across the border into Canada and then just turning back around. (Just to say we've driven to Canada). I was just wondering if any of you northern people knew what it would take to get us and our A's across the border? Also, what's the weather like in mid-May? As y'all know, Model A's don't hold much luggage so I need to know what to pack!

Thanks!

Check it all out at this web site
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/p...der/border.htm

SDJason 04-30-2013 06:25 PM

This page has useful info you may want to read...

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-30-2013 06:37 PM

What to take: Take TWICE as much $$$$$ & 1/2 as many clothes as you are thinkin' of takin'---Buster T. (-:l>

Duffy1 04-30-2013 06:39 PM

Jordan ;

What are you targeting for miles per day and average speed ?

Patrick L. 04-30-2013 07:14 PM

Weather, it can snow or roast you. One never knows and that'll be from one day to the next.

luckyal 04-30-2013 08:10 PM

The suggestion by swo4rd that you will be assessed an antique vehicle fee is totally wrong with no fact whatsoever. I don't know where those ideas come from. You will definitely require a passport. Young children will need a birth certificaste. You will pay toll about 4 or 5 dollars each way to use the bridge or tunnel and lastly you will meet some great people !
Al

Jordan 04-30-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1 (Post 642639)
Jordan ;

What are you targeting for miles per day and average speed ?

anywhere from 300-550 miles. We'll probably do about 55-60 mph.

Jordan 04-30-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 642675)
Weather, it can snow or roast you. One never knows and that'll be from one day to the next.

hmmm sounds a lot like Texas weather :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Last week we went from 80* to 35* and then a day later it was 60*.

Jordan 04-30-2013 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like it would be easy. I have a passport and planned on taking it. We will be going from Detroit over into Canada, which as mentioned seems like the easiest way.

luckyal 04-30-2013 08:46 PM

Jordan If you are entering from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, Canada take the Embassador Bridge to Canada and the Detroit Windsor tunnel back to Michigan. Pick up a Canadian coin set as a momento to Canada. I am sure you will be impressed ! You may even be greeted by a Canadian officer that says
" Bonjour Garcon et Mademoiselle " !
Al

29ModelA 04-30-2013 09:35 PM

Most people don't have or carry it, but you are supposed to have a slip from your insurance company saying you are covered while in Canada.

It is not needed to cross or come back, but if something happens they expect you to have it on you.

Jim Parker Toronto 04-30-2013 10:57 PM

Yes, just a Passport is all you will need. Just keep an extra eye out for our sled dogs, as they tend to get a little wild after our igloo's have melted. I have to cut some trees for poles for the teepee as the last ones were used as firewood last winter. Have fun, and enjoy your trip!

The info from SDJason looks like what I would need if I was importing a car into Canada, not just driving in and out. Stay as long as you like!

French is usually only heard in the classrooms, and in Quebec, we speak English. (very close to American, I understand!)

Jordan 04-30-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyal (Post 642763)
Jordan If you are entering from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario, Canada take the Embassador Bridge to Canada and the Detroit Windsor tunnel back to Michigan. Pick up a Canadian coin set as a momento to Canada. I am sure you will be impressed ! You may even be greeted by a Canadian officer that says
" Bonjour Garcon et Mademoiselle " !
Al

Does the Detroit Windsor tunnel have a shoulder? I don't particularly driving on roads that go a while without a shoulder... But if it's what I have to do I think I could manage.