The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What bore for Ford steele sleeves? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260615)

runifix 03-19-2019 10:44 AM

What bore for Ford steele sleeves?

I have a cracked 59A-B block. I also have 8 of Ford steele sleeves. I want to put the sleeves into my block, to get a "new" engine, of std bore. The problem is that my mecanic guy don"t know what size to bore? The ouside of the sleeves are about 3.269. Anyone here who have done this, ore know what size to bore? Thank you, Runifix, Norway

JSeery 03-19-2019 10:47 AM

Re: What bore for Ford steele sleeves?

I would be greatly concerned using a machinist who was not familiar with installing sleeves.

19Fordy 03-19-2019 11:12 AM

Wow! You're in trouble if the machinist is asking you what size to bore for a sleeve.
Also indicates that he may never have installed a sleeve and doesn't know correct procedures.
Run away fast and find an experienced automotive machine shop.
FWIW: I had a local vocational trade school install a sleeve in my 8BA in 1973.Still running fine. Check in your area. Good luck.

32phil 03-19-2019 11:15 AM

If memory serves well...…...I remember rebuilding a 36 block that had sleeves.
We removed the sleeves and bought new pistons from EGGE.
They made a 83 thousandths over piston specifically for Ford bocks that had the sleeves removed.
Sooooo…………….. maybe start with EGGE or H & H flatheads..

Kurt in NJ 03-19-2019 11:17 AM

There are several different "steel"sleeves, different thicknesses, requiring different bore sizes, which sleeves do you have, do you have the Ford part number

tubman 03-19-2019 12:05 PM

Are these just visible cracks or have you had the block magnafluxed and/or pressure tested? If these tests haven't been done, it would be foolhardy to proceed with any machine work. I doubt that any machinist that doesn't know how to bore a block to fit existing sleeves has any idea about cracking problems with flathead blocks, much less how to fix them.

I agree with the rest of the guys, find a new shop.

deuce_roadster 03-19-2019 12:31 PM

I wouldn't use the steel sleeves, there are cast iron sleeves that will give you the proper material for the rings to seat on. Are you also planning on using the steel pistons that were originally used with the steel sleeves?
And as others have said, find someone who has experience with flatheads.

flatjack9 03-19-2019 12:47 PM

I would imagine there would be a different fit for steel or cast iron sleeves. I've installed cast but never steel.

Brian 03-19-2019 01:51 PM

Another problem is that fitting a sleeve into a cracked cylinder, particularly a 'thin wall' sleeve, is that the sleeve is not fully supported, due to the cracked cylinder flexing under use, which ultimately leads to premature failure...

Kurt in NJ 03-19-2019 02:28 PM

I have a book at home that should have it, but you need to know which sleeves you have --- how thick is the sleeve---.040,---.060,----.080

runifix 03-19-2019 02:59 PM

Thank you all for help and engagement. Kurt in NJ, the sleeves are ,042". I will use alu pistons, and there are two cyl walls that have been frozen to crack. Some aria behind these two sleeves, will have no support behind. (Maybe using some "chemical metal"before driving down the sleeves. What I am wondering is how much smaller do we have to make the new bore, to get a snug fit, for the steel sleeves.

JSeery 03-19-2019 03:22 PM

There are dry sleeves and wet sleeves. If you have areas where the cylinder wall is open to the water jacket I believe it would need to be wet sleeved. That can get complicated and expensive. Unless you are going for that large a bore, you might be a lot better off with a new block. I'm not sure how much cylinder wall can be gone and still use a dry sleeve. I would guess none.

RalphM 03-19-2019 03:44 PM

If the sleeves are .042 thick, times two = .084.
Now if the inside bore of the sleeve is for a standard piston. Woundnt the overbore be 80 over with a little interference fit?
I’m not certain of this, just asking.

Brian 03-19-2019 03:58 PM

Don't do it- read my post...I am speaking from experience. The thin wall sleeve needs to be fully supported. Find another block.

Mike in AZ 03-19-2019 04:35 PM

Welcome to the ‘Barn. Hope you find a solution that works and you can enjoy your/a flathead Good luck. Mike

Kurt in NJ 03-19-2019 05:49 PM

----from Ford engine recon book
block bore sleeve dia sleeve flange dia counterbore dia counterbore depth
0.040 sleeve
3.2684 -3.2687 3.2684-3.2693 3.725 3.775 3.825 3.875 .042-.044

0.060 sleeve
3.3084 - 3.3087 3.3084-3.3093 3.3725-3.3775 3.3825- 3.3875 064-.066

as you can see there isn't much of interference fit, and the "tin' sleeves need the support of full bore, not made so seal off water or bridge pushed out pieces of bore

Kube 03-19-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runifix (Post 1737957)
I have a cracked 59A-B block. I also have 8 of Ford steele sleeves. I want to put the sleeves into my block, to get a "new" engine, of std bore. The problem is that my mecanic guy don"t know what size to bore? The ouside of the sleeves are about 3.269. Anyone here who have done this, ore know what size to bore? Thank you, Runifix, Norway

Um, he is NOT a machinist.

deuce_roadster 03-19-2019 11:53 PM

I would hazard a guess that if 2 cylinders have material missing, ie windows, no sleeve will save this thing. Even in Norway, you should be able to find a better starting point for a block. Good luck and use the money you would spend on trying to save that block for a good one.

Tinker 03-19-2019 11:57 PM

Norway! contact flatheadmurre here, he is from Sweden. Closer to your side of the pond. Good guy and maybe can help.

flatheadmurre 03-20-2019 02:53 AM

First thing is the thinwall sleeves need a different aproach then regular sleeves...if youīre not familiar with them i would stay away from it.
Chemical metal in a bore is a no no...it doesnīt transfer heat...better off with a regular cast sleeve there.
I have regular sleeves if you need...or a better block...
If you donīt have a machinist that know flatheads make sure you know the does and donīts before starting or it may end up an expensive learning experience..