The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Update on transmission plug (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272250)

DelPercio 11-06-2019 12:02 PM

Update on transmission plug

I haven’t updated my original post because my car is 100 miles from my house. I cleaned the plug and with a little muscle and a very large adjustable I got it off. The case isn’t cracked but the oil came out very dirty compared to the rear which looked clean. My question is I was thinking of filling it with transmission fluid and take it for a ride then drain it as soon as I got back. Good or bad idea.

WHN 11-06-2019 12:16 PM

Re: Update on transmission plug

Transmission fluid?

600w transmission oil needed. I use half STP and half 600w oil from suppliers.

I would leave plug out and let drain for a couple of days before refilling with new oil.

J Franklin 11-06-2019 12:40 PM

If you want to flush it out with thin oil rather than gear lub, I think it would be better to jack up a rear wheel and don't add the load of driving it on the road. Or you can remove a few bolts and do a thorough clean from the top. This will give you an opportunity to do a visual inspection.

Gary WA 11-06-2019 01:13 PM

With plug out, take air hose with plastic/vinyl hose insert in oil fill area and try to blow out more oil,better to pull pan and clean , also valve cover area cleaning.

ryanheacox 11-06-2019 01:19 PM

FWIW, Ford recommended flushing with Kerosene.

DelPercio 11-06-2019 02:14 PM

I can do kerosene and just ride it up the block and back. The car has 3200 miles and maybe the owner couldn’t get the bolt off because the rear oil was almost clear and the transmission was very dirty.

Jacksonlll 11-06-2019 02:24 PM

Just use the kerosene and then fill with new 600 oil. Put a new plug in that fits and seals.

The Master Cylinder 11-06-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1818362)
With plug out, take air hose with plastic/vinyl hose insert in oil fill area and try to blow out more oil, better to pull pan and clean , also valve cover area cleaning.

Pull pan? On the transmission?? Valve cover?? :p:p

ryanheacox 11-06-2019 02:43 PM

As Jack says. Just fill with Kerosene and drain, maybe rock the car to slosh it if you want. I wouldn't drive it any distance without 600W in it. Also, when you say dirty what exactly do you mean? The 600W that Brattons sells is dark brown right out of the container.

J Franklin 11-06-2019 03:17 PM

Post #3 is a safe thorough way to use kerosene. you only need to run it a short while and by running it, it will flush out the bearings in the cluster as well as splashing it all around the case and tower parts.

Blue-Truck-Nut 11-06-2019 03:23 PM

Never knew Ford recommended Kerosene. I've used Diesel in the past.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

CWPASADENA 11-06-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut (Post 1818412)
Never knew Ford recommended Kerosene. I've used Diesel in the past.

Actually, in the day, Kerosene was a lot more common than Diesel.

Both will do the job just fine.

Chris W.

Blue-Truck-Nut 11-06-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPASADENA (Post 1818510)
Actually, in the day, Kerosene was a lot more common than Diesel.

Both will do the job just fine.

Chris W.

Agreed. Funny how that has reversed in current times.

butch chase 11-06-2019 07:41 PM

use care flushing with thin fluids. when I did it with motor oil, the oil migrated out the input shaft and made a mess on the pressure plate andclutch.

DelPercio 11-06-2019 08:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll fill it with kerosene, shift through the gears and drain it.

California Travieso 11-06-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1818393)
As Jack says. Just fill with Kerosene and drain, maybe rock the car to slosh it if you want. I wouldn't drive it any distance without 600W in it. Also, when you say dirty what exactly do you mean? The 600W that Brattons sells is dark brown right out of the container.

Ryan,

Years ago, we visited my wife’s friend in Mexico City. I went with her husband when he was getting an oil and transmission fluid change.

That’s what they did. Filled both with kerosene and rocked the car back and forth then drained the kerosene and filled it with oil and transmission fluid. I think it would be ok to do that with the transmission but I’m not sure I would do that with the engine oil.

David Serrano

Gary WA 11-06-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1818388)
Pull pan? On the transmission?? Valve cover?? :p:p

Ha miss read question !!!! You caught me! My mistake for the year!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Redbird 11-07-2019 09:20 AM

Get a spray bottle and fill with diesel. Spray thru the fill oil and drain out the bottom. I did it to both tranny and rear end when I got my car. The rear end had never been drained since new.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-07-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 1818595)
Ryan,

Years ago, we visited my wife’s friend in Mexico City. I went with her husband when he was getting an oil and transmission fluid change.

That’s what they did. Filled both with kerosene and rocked the car back and forth then drained the kerosene and filled it with oil and transmission fluid. I think it would be ok to do that with the transmission but I’m not sure I would do that with the engine oil.

David Serrano

Am no expert, but agree. When draining motor oil pan, some kerosene would probably get left in the dipper tray?

captndan 11-07-2019 12:21 PM

It is not a good idea to use STP or Lucas. The high speed gears will fling it out onto the housing. That’s where it stays effectively reducing the amount of oil in the transmission. Stay with 600W oil.