The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301538)

Ramblin Reck 07-23-2021 03:11 PM

My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat

My 1939 Ford Deluxe with Rumble Seat has just been acquired by me and I am a real novice to this new hobby. My previous experience was with home made Go Carts using lawn mower engines as the Soap Box Derby was getting a lot of attention then, and I had my first car a 1951 Chevy Coupe and a 1974 VW Beetle. This Flathead will run, just not stop so we are undertaking a complete brake rebuild using new master cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. It is a slow process as one wheel had 2 lug nuts which refused to budge and had to be burned off.

A couple of things I noted while inspecting the vehicle closely.

1. The transverse Spring rear of the axle and forward of the front wheels has a metal cover over it and has a grease fitting on it. The Shop Manual or Service Handbook which I have implies this improvement was made in 1940.

2. The front shocks have been replaced with Tube Type Shocks but the mounting plate is from the original shock absorber.

3. There are no rear shocks that I can find nor any evidence where they might have been attached.

4. On the front of the hood, the 1939 had a FORD emblem on the passenger side of the hood and a DELUXE emblem on the driver's side of the hood. Mine has a FORD on each side of the hood.

5. I am thinking that perhaps I have a 1940 Standard model rather than a 1939 Deluxe model? Any opinions on this?

rockfla 07-23-2021 03:26 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat

Welcome to the Fordbarn. Pictures are always helpful & appreciated when possible. To my knowledge there was NO 1940 "Standard" Convertible....Just Coupes, 2 & 4 Door Sedan's and the Station Wagon!!!! There should most definitely be shock absorbers on the rear. I would highly suggest you purchasing the EFV8 club 39 Ford restoration book as that will be a mighty valuable source for you and "MANY" answers to question you may have!!!! I'm NOT a 39/40 Ford guy BUT most assured that several VERY capable 39 40 guru's here on the "Barn" will chime in here......One or two wrote the books for the EFV8 club OR were at least contributors!!!

Good luck and enjoy it!!!

Zax40 07-23-2021 03:38 PM

Welcome! It's not uncommon for parts from different years to get swapped in over time. Please post pics of your new '39 as soon as you are able.

BTW Savannah is my favorite town. My wife and I often talk about moving down someday.

jayvee34 07-23-2021 04:04 PM

Welcome. To know for sure if 39 0r 40, several things, but most noticeable is where the
windshield wipers are located. 39 shaft above the windshield, 40 below the windshield,
and of course the dash, floor shift for the 39, column for the 40. Best wishes.

Kube 07-23-2021 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvee34 (Post 2038889)
Welcome. To know for sure if 39 0r 40, several things, but most noticeable is where the
windshield wipers are located. 39 shaft above the windshield, 40 below the windshield,
and of course the dash, floor shift for the 39, column for the 40. Best wishes.

And of course NO rumble seat in '40.
Dash boards, floor shift vs. column can and were often swapped.
Sounds like a '39 to me.
The hood should have Ford on one side and Deluxe on the other.

The springs could have covers as an option in 39. However, they would not have had a grease fitting in the cover(s). That would be later, '46 - '48. So, my guess is the springs were replaced with incorrect parts.

Does your car look similar to the photo I've attached?

jimTN 07-23-2021 04:30 PM

The center bolt on those springs was a lube point I believe from maybe 37.

Kube 07-23-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimTN (Post 2038901)
The center bolt on those springs was a lube point I believe from maybe 37.

He said the grease fitting was in the cover, a feature that started in 46.

Ramblin Reck 07-24-2021 07:07 AM

RockFla ....... Thanks

Ramblin Reck 07-24-2021 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2038899)
And of course NO rumble seat in '40.
Dash boards, floor shift vs. column can and were often swapped.
Sounds like a '39 to me.
The hood should have Ford on one side and Deluxe on the other.

The springs could have covers as an option in 39. However, they would not have had a grease fitting in the cover(s). That would be later, '46 - '48. So, my guess is the springs were replaced with incorrect parts.

Does your car look similar to the photo I've attached?

Roger that

Ramblin Reck 07-24-2021 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 469048
Quote:

Originally Posted by kube (Post 2038899)
and of course no rumble seat in '40.
Dash boards, floor shift vs. Column can and were often swapped.
Sounds like a '39 to me.
The hood should have ford on one side and deluxe on the other.

Does your car look similar to the photo i've attached?

alanwoodieman 07-24-2021 07:48 AM

more picture Capt'

corvette8n 07-24-2021 08:00 AM

Welcome to the barn, nice looking car.

rufus39 07-24-2021 05:45 PM

The single picture that you attached, is that of a 1939.

rockfla 07-24-2021 06:59 PM

Ramblin Reck!!
I’m only about an hour and a half or so south of you, iF you ever need some help, shoot me a PM here on the barn, my wife always likes weekends in Savannah!!! OR Hilton Head which is where my avatar was shot!!!

Clem Clement 07-24-2021 09:44 PM

There is a grease fitting on the 39 springs in the canter. It needs a special bolt. I have it on my39 Ford and 40 Merc. More later.
My 40 merc has the spring shields

mercman from oz 07-24-2021 10:38 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627184245
1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible Coupe, from the Original 1939 Ford Sales Brochure.

mercman from oz 07-24-2021 10:43 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627184540
1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible arrives home in Georgia.

deuce_roadster 07-25-2021 12:33 AM

Unless a 39 back half of the car was grafted on, like Kube said 40s didn't have rumble seats. I think it must be a 39. A picture of the dash would help. If it was stuff grafted on a 40 it would be detectable. Does the VIN on the frame fall in the 39 production sequence? VanPelt has those listed on his web site I believe.

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus39 (Post 2039220)
The single picture that you attached, is that of a 1939.

Roger That. More to come

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 2039056)
more picture Capt'

Here is one more pic

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 09:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercman from oz (Post 2039302)
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627184540
1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible arrives home in Georgia.

Note the emblem on the left and right sides of the hood. It reads FORD on BOTH sides. Why would anyone have changed it from Deluxe I wonder

deuce_roadster 07-26-2021 09:49 AM

What you have there is one of the most desirable early Fords, a 39 convertible. Looks to be a very nice one at that. Welcome to this forum!

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 10:46 AM

Somethings we discovered while taking all of the drums off of the 39 Ford.

1) The brake shoes on the left side of the vehicle were in bad shape and in need of replacement. The right side looked like they were replaced yesterday! Drums on riright do not need turning there is so little wear! Going to replace the brake linings on the left two wheels and close up the right wheels as is. Replaced left wheel cylinders and all but one brake line(The one going to the right rear wheel was new! The others had kinks and clogs. Replaced Master Cylinder also. Not put back together yet but should not be long before we are rolling and stopping!.

2) I am satisfied calling this a 1939 Ford with mods after seeing all the comments. Thanks for those Most Helpful! The rear wheel shocks are not there. There is a place to put one(tube type) on the left side but NOT on the right side. Something must have happened midway thru this modification that caused the mod to cease. Also caused the brake job to be only half done. Only the Shadow knows!

3) Thanks again for ya'lls comments.

Kube 07-26-2021 03:55 PM

Yep, looks like a decent old Ford.

Start looking for a convertible love box door now. They are kinda tough to find.

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 03:59 PM

I need help advice on removing the wheel bearing from my left front wheel and my left rear wheel in order to have them turned. Any advice as where to look, you tube etc? Thanks

alanwoodieman 07-26-2021 04:55 PM

on front wheel you need to remove seal and the bearing will come out--use a wooden dowel and use it to knock seal/bearing out by putting in from front and use a small hammer to drive out the bearing/seal on the back. rear wheel is a little harder, there is a lock ring that must be removed then the seal and then the bearing will slide out

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 2039876)
on front wheel you need to remove seal and the bearing will come out--use a wooden dowel and use it to knock seal/bearing out by putting in from front and use a small hammer to drive out the bearing/seal on the back. rear wheel is a little harder, there is a lock ring that must be removed then the seal and then the bearing will slide out

Thanks! I have done this with trailer tires in the past so shouldn't be a problem. I reckon if the races are pitted, they would need to be replaced but I haven't gotten that far yet and do not expect it as they are not dunked in the salt water like a trailer. Found out that the seals will probably be destroyed in removing them. There is a tool sold just for the purpose of taking them out. About $9.00 at O'Reilly and you use your own 3/8" drive handle. Makes the job much easier.

Back to the lock ring which appears to be in the form of a "C". How is that removed from the rear wheel???? GOT THIS RING OUT WITH FLAT BLADE SCREWDRIVERS AND NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS! This ring is commonly called a "C" Snap ring but it appears to have the ears broken off which makes it easy to remove with a special set of pliers. I have forgotten that step! I REMEMBERED! Thanks again

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2039847)
Yep, looks like a decent old Ford.

Start looking for a convertible love box door now. They are kinda tough to find.

Pray tell what is a convertible love box door? Only if this car could talk! I would probably blush!

Bored&Stroked 07-27-2021 07:30 AM

Welcome to the Barn . . . nice looking vert! You'll have a lot of fun with it and it seems you are already getting things nicely sorted out. If I was going to replace brake shoes - I would do both sides with the same material at the same time. Also, make sure you have a reputable brake shop "arc" the shoes to fit the drums correctly - this is particularly important on these Lockheed brakes (the shoes don't "float" like modern Bendix style brakes).

Make sure you learn the correct way to adjust the brakes as well - as it is also different from modern Bendix brakes (due to the eccentric adjusters on the bottoms of the shoes). If the brakes are correctly setup, they work quite well.

If you need any expert help or work, contact Richard Lacy of the Early V8 garage (in SoCal). There is a huge amount of knowledge on the Barn, so I'd always run your plans and questions through here first - plenty of guys willing to help.

Good luck!

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2040026)
Welcome to the Barn . . . nice looking vert! You'll have a lot of fun with it and it seems you are already getting things nicely sorted out. If I was going to replace brake shoes - I would do both sides with the same material at the same time. Also, make sure you have a reputable brake shop "arc" the shoes to fit the drums correctly - this is particularly important on these Lockheed brakes (the shoes don't "float" like modern Bendix style brakes).

Make sure you learn the correct way to adjust the brakes as well - as it is also different from modern Bendix brakes (due to the eccentric adjusters on the bottoms of the shoes). If the brakes are correctly setup, they work quite well.

If you need any expert help or work, contact Richard Lacy of the Early V8 garage (in SoCal). There is a huge amount of knowledge on the Barn, so I'd always run your plans and questions through here first - plenty of guys willing to help.

Good luck!

Wow! Arc the drums? And here I thought I would just slap them on! Thanks for mentioning that!

Kube 07-27-2021 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck (Post 2040014)
Pray tell what is a convertible love box door? Only if this car could talk! I would probably blush!

I suppose it's possible you have the correct glove box lid. The picture makes it appear as if it's from a closed car dash.
Picture attached is a proper 39 convertible dash.

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2040147)
I suppose it's possible you have the correct glove box lid. The picture makes it appear as if it's from a closed car dash.

You explained it but not how I can understand it! Just what is a "Closed Car Dash"?

Kube 07-27-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck (Post 2040162)
You explained it but not how I can understand it! Just what is a "Closed Car Dash"?

Closed car is just that, a model with a fixed roof. An open car is one where the roof can be lowered. The dash boards are very different between the two types of cars (open vs. closed) as are the glove box lids.

mercman from oz 07-27-2021 05:16 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627424129
Correct 1939 Ford Deluxe Script on Hood.

Kube 07-28-2021 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And another, this one with correct road lamps...

V8COOPMAN 07-28-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2040147)

Hmmm......The ONLY difference that I see is about an hour and six minutes. Can ya PLEASE x-plain the REAL difference to this dumb ol' Texas kid? I notice the stainless spear across the top of his instrument panel is missing. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1627310441

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1627414219

Gary in La. 07-28-2021 11:37 AM

The most obvious is at the lower right hand corner of the door. Size difference between doors is obvious.

Kube 07-28-2021 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2040371]Hmmm......The ONLY difference that I see is about an hour and six minutes. Can ya PLEASE x-plain the REAL difference to this dumb ol' Texas kid? I notice the stainless spear across the top of his instrument panel is missing. DD

Well, the open car dash is not as deep as the closed version. The open car dash does not have a crank in the center for the windshield as unlike to closed cars, the open car windshield is fixed.
The glove box door has a much more pronounced "slope" to it, in other words, less of a true rectangle.
I can no longer recall clearly but as my memory serves, the open car dash is a bit wider than the closed version.

The dash in the original poster's initial post appears to be a combination of years and body styles. However, pictures can be deceptive, especially to this boy's ol' eyes.

]

mercman from oz 07-28-2021 05:13 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627510338
Right Hand Drive Dash in Australian 1939 Ford Standard Coupe Utility.

tubman 07-28-2021 06:41 PM

I really like the '39 DeLuxe's best of that particular era Ford, but I have to say it looks like one would have to be an acrobat to get into that rumble seat!:eek:

Maybe that's why they dropped it.