The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Checking 6 volt neg ground output with multi meter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283346)

TLR 06-29-2020 04:28 PM

Checking 6 volt neg ground output with multi meter

Can anyone let me know the best way to check a 6 volt neg ground output with multi meter on my 1931 "A" with an alternator. It seems my battery is not charging and getting weaker as time goes on.

Thanks in advance.

Werner 06-29-2020 04:55 PM

Re: Checking 6 volt neg ground output with multi meter

The easiest way is to measure the voltage of the battery directly with your MM.

Connect - you measure the resting voltage.

Start - you measure the stability / quality of the battery.

Increase RPM - the voltage must rise when the generator supplies power. .

Ruth 06-29-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLR (Post 1904156)
Can anyone let me know the best way to check a 6 volt neg ground output with multi meter on my 1931 "A" with an alternator. It seems my battery is not charging and getting weaker as time goes on.

Thanks in advance.

I gotta ask, Are you sure your car is 6 volts negative ground? Model As are usually 6 volt positive ground.

Patrick L. 06-29-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1904185)
I gotta ask, Are you sure your car is 6 volts usually negative ground? Model As are 6 volt positive ground.

Most alternator conversion regards of voltage are negative ground.

Patrick L. 06-29-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Take take your volt meter and connect it across the battery, take a reading.

Start engine and set to a fast idle and take another reading.

Let us know the results and we can go from there.

What the the vehicles ammeter show ?

The only reason I'm suggesting taking the readings directly from the battery is due to the possibility of poor/dirty connections.

jrelliott 06-29-2020 06:26 PM

To charge the battery, you will need about 7.2 Volts from the alternator as measured on the battery terminals.

Bob C 06-29-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1904187)

I looked at Snyder's, Bratton's and Berts and their 6 volt alternators
are positive ground.

Patrick L. 06-29-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1904201)
are positive ground.

Well we'll find out. Maybe thats the problem.

Ruth 06-29-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1904185)
I gotta ask, Are you sure your car is 6 volts negative ground? Model As are usually 6 volt positive ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1904187)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1904201)
are positive ground.

Thank you, Bob C.

54vicky 06-30-2020 09:33 AM

I agree with Bob mine has been on for years (+ ground )

30 Closed Cab PU 06-30-2020 10:12 AM

To insure you have a good battery, here is an inexpensive battery load tester. Does 6 and 12v. A lot of auto parts chains and farm supply store do not have 6v testers. You can do the same thing measuring battery voltage droop running the starter with ignition off.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html

Patrick L. 06-30-2020 03:03 PM

Ah, the 6v alternators from Bratton's and Snyder's are Nu-Rex conversions. That explains it. I was thinking TLR might have a polarity issue. He still may. Maybe we'll find out what the problem is.

TLR 06-30-2020 03:30 PM

Sorry it is positive ground..........checked per jrelliott and we are getting 7.1 volts so we should be charging. Just seems to crank slower than it should, maybe the starter is getting tired?

Thanks for the replies

30 Closed Cab PU 06-30-2020 03:48 PM

Do you have the modification adding a ground cable between where the battery ground attaches to the fame, to the bell housing? And have you cleaned the battery cable connection on the battery and cable frame connection. Also the Starter cable connections on both ends?

Patrick L. 06-30-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLR (Post 1904581)
Sorry it is positive ground..........checked per jrelliott and we are getting 7.1 volts so we should be charging. Just seems to crank slower than it should, maybe the starter is getting tired?

Thanks for the replies

We still don't know what the ammeter is showing or where the 7.1 v reading was taken from.

Badpuppy 07-01-2020 09:31 AM

7.1 is a tad low - 7.2-7.9 is min-max for good charging. Should charge the battery ok, but more slowly. Maybe much more.

Bill G 07-02-2020 02:03 AM

Make sure spark advance lever is fully retarded when starting. Otherwise it will crank slow and is also hard on the engine.

DHZIEMAN 07-11-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

From your info, you have a negative ground 6 volt alternator installed on a model A Ford that was sold as positive ground. With that said, if the battery is installed now as negative ground, and by measuring using your meter at the battery, at higher rpm with a low battery, you should be reading 7.2 to possibly 8 volts charge voltage. If those numbers are showing up, and you battery has water in it, check that too if it is a battery that takes water, and fill as needed. You might think about pulling off a battery cable and just putting a 6 volt charger on the battery overnight, and connect it up and check again on startup. Make sure all connections are tight and no lost resistance such as grounding exist also. Let us know what you find out!

Herb Concord Ca 07-11-2020 09:28 PM

First you should use an Analog multimeter. A digital meter will not read steady unless it has a good filtering circuit. Most 6 volt positive alternators (don't know about 6 volt negative alternators) have internal leakage and drain the battery over a few days. If you have the starter mounted fuse, remove it when your done driving for the day, and reinstalled when your ready the start the Model A the next time you start the car.