The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is that racket????? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332573)

marty in Ohio 10-31-2023 08:01 PM

What is that racket?????

My friend, Bob, dropped the pan on his '29 tudor. He took out the dipper tray and cleaned everything. After putting it all back together the engine made a terrible clatter. We're wondering if the dipper tray was not correctly seated in the pan upon reassembly. The thought is that the bottom of the rods are knocking on the dipper tray. Anybody ever experienced this before?
Marty
and Bob

Bill G 10-31-2023 08:45 PM

Re: What is that racket?????

Sounds plausible. Rinse and repeat. :D

Marshall V. Daut 10-31-2023 11:56 PM

This is a very common mistake after removing the dipper tray for cleaning and not re-installing it in the oil pan so that the raised "rails" fit into the slots along the pan's sides. I've done it and yes - it will result in an irritating metallic clatter, as you describe. You know the fix: drop the pan and reset the dipper tray. After replacing the dipper tray, turn the oil pan upside down and bounce it lightly against a hard surface to ensure that the tray is properly in place. If you do this too forcefully, the dipper tray will come out. You just need enough shock to the pan to make sure the dipper tray won't come loose.
Marshall

Synchro909 11-01-2023 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut (Post 2266526)
This is a very common mistake after removing the dipper tray for cleaning and not re-installing it in the oil pan so that the raised "rails" fit into the slots along the pan's sides. I've done it and yes - it will result in an irritating metallic clatter, as you describe. You know the fix: drop the pan and reset the dipper tray. After replacing the dipper tray, turn the oil pan upside down and bounce it lightly against a hard surface to ensure that the tray is properly in place. If you do this too forcefully, the dipper tray will come out. You just need enough shock to the pan to make sure the dipper tray won't come loose.
Marshall

IMO, it is important to make sure that when you turn the sump upside down and slam it onto the ground that it is square and won't bend the rail where it bolts to the block.

Bob Bidonde 11-03-2023 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This imagee might help forming a vision of this discussion:

Cherlymo 11-03-2023 08:17 AM

Thanks, a picture can be worth a thousand words!

Gary WA 11-03-2023 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty in Ohio (Post 2266501)
My friend, Bob, dropped the pan on his '29 tudor. He took out the dipper tray and cleaned everything. After putting it all back together the engine made a terrible clatter. We're wondering if the dipper tray was not correctly seated in the pan upon reassembly. The thought is that the bottom of the rods are knocking on the dipper tray. Anybody ever experienced this before?
Marty
and Bob

Find the racket??:confused::)

marty in Ohio 11-04-2023 07:30 AM

Gary, Bob is sort of laid up at the moment. I don't know when we will get to it, but all the advice we've been given here at the Barn has been well received. We're pretty sure it's the loose dipper tray. We'll keep you all posted when we get it fixed. Thanks for all the responses.
Marty