The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Valve Adjusting Micrometer Tool Picture (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219673)

Tom Wesenberg 04-26-2017 10:57 PM

Valve Adjusting Micrometer Tool Picture

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I might have posted a picture of this tool before, but a search didn't turn up anything for me. I found this tool a few years ago at the local second hand tool store. Notice under Hall Depth Gauge the label says "For Ford Cars". With this tool you can measure the distance from the tappet to the valve seat, and grind the valve stem accordingly.

It must be missing a couple adaptors that fit the empty holes.

Synchro909 04-26-2017 11:10 PM

Re: Valve Adjusting Micrometer Tool Picture

Looks to me like it measures the distance from the valve seat to the top of the cam follower. With a simple subtraction after measuring the length of the valve, the clearance can be calculated. (and hence how much to grind off)
I wonder it the missing adaptors allow you to use the same gauge to measure the length of the valve.

Patrick L. 04-27-2017 09:41 AM

Now that would a nice tool to have even if it never got used.

d.j. moordigian 04-27-2017 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1464493)
I thought I might have posted a picture of this tool before, but a search didn't turn up anything for me. I found this tool a few years ago at the local second hand tool store. Notice under Hall Depth Gauge the label says "For Ford Cars". With this tool you can measure the distance from the tappet to the valve seat, and grind the valve stem accordingly.

It must be missing a couple adaptors that fit the empty holes.

Tom,...this is the tool that I made for adjusting the valves in the Ford 4 cam
Indy engines. I've used it on other engines also. I'm looking for some scrape
material for a larger version that will work on the Model A....

Fullraceflathead 04-27-2017 10:45 AM

Many of the Valve Grinding machines have those tools.
I have several of the Sioux Valve Re-Facers and Seat Grinders.
That tool is used to measure the exact amount needed to machine off the tip of the valve stem. It eliminates grinding off a "Little at a Time" which it very time consuming.
Using the tool if it reads .011 then you can grind exactly .011 off the tip of the valve stem as the grinder has a micrometer feed wheel on them.

Joe K 04-27-2017 10:51 AM

IIRC, the original KRW valve tool used an "insert" to measure for valve grinding - and a grinder tool designed to take on the measure directly - no actual reading of a gauge required!

Someone on Ebay had a non-KRW clone for sale for small money - but alas "local pickup only."

Joe K

KR500 04-30-2017 11:14 PM

Tom, In the top page stuck to the cover is the inventory of the parts which should be contained in the kit.The Hall-Toledo micrometer gage works very well as do all Hall-Toledo tools. It handled the Ford A, B, and both 60 hp and larger flatheads.

big job 05-01-2017 07:41 AM

Watch Fiat Nuzt on Utube machine shop in Calf. He came up with a jig for this its a V8
59A but same deal for a A. And he sells these jigs. pretty slick tool. I still do one at
a time, maybe fifty times then gotta sit down. My Kwik Way has this jig to grind the
stems but its still trial & error......Fact or fiction; as a teen in the shop, my father
pounded me to check the lash was to install - springs and keeper not just your finger
holding the valve down. I still do this. We all know this is time consuming so my big
question is; how in hell did they do this in the factory making a thousand + or- a day.
For that you need a thousand people for one? no they had some jig that measured the
cam to the seat, then a jig measuring the seat to the stem. this is what Fiat Nuzt machined.................................

jhowes 05-01-2017 08:04 AM

As I remember Tom had pictured another tool some time back that you place a fake valve in and somehow measure the amount of stem to grind off. I cannot find this tool in the searches that I have done here on the Ford Barn. By the way, is there a correct grinding wheel to use for this job of grinding valve stems? Jack

Fullraceflathead 05-01-2017 10:47 AM

The valve refacing machines typically have a V block that squares up the valve stem tip to a 90 grit grinding wheel