The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Size of pinstripe brush (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335178)

gdmn852 01-26-2024 08:31 PM

Size of pinstripe brush

Hello, can anyone recommend make and size of brush for pinstripe? I see different types and sizes so not sure what is best for appropriate 1/8 minus stripe I have two different shades of green of one shot paint to try and match Apple green.Thank You

nkaminar 01-27-2024 06:53 AM

Re: Size of pinstripe brush

When I ordered my brushes online, they sent three different brushes of different sizes. I experimented to find the brush that give me the width I liked. But in the end I used the stencil tape.

ronn 01-27-2024 09:04 AM

was recommended on here to go with the little larger brush, by an expert.

reason being, it holds more paint and you can go a greater distance then with a very thin brush. I took his advice and bought the 00.
Have not tried it yet- too cold outside. I also bought a beuggler, in case my hand ends up being too shakey.
When all else fails, pay a pro.

I really want to be able to do this my self though- so I can say I did it.
hopefully it doesnt come out looking like a "bowl" haircut.

marc silva 01-27-2024 11:40 AM

00 is the one you want to use. Be sure to thin the 1 Shot paint before you do it. Right out of the can is too thick. If you don’t have the 1 Shot reducer you can use turpentine… not regular old paint thinner. Good luck.
Marc

jb-ob 01-27-2024 11:43 AM

Ron, The secret is practice, practice, & more PRACTICE.

Relax and 'play' for an hour a day, wiping off with odorless mineral spirits.

Paint must have a slight drag, thin adding drops of odorless mineral spirits.

Lastly wash out you brush completely when finished and preserve in oil.

(You're asking for 50 years of experience in a couple of lines !!)

nkaminar 01-27-2024 02:11 PM

You can practice by putting masking tape on the areas where you want to paint the stripe. After the practice, just peel off the tape.

I ended up with a collection of ugly pin stripes on tape before I gave up and went with the stencil tape.

Russ B 01-28-2024 03:12 PM

One Shot thinned with turpentine. As a total amateur, each time I need to stripe, I practice pulling lines for a half hour or more before starting on the real thing. I practice on an old old coupe window glass that I clean off after each use. Pouring the paint through cheesecloth is also a good practice when you don’t paint all the time to get out any lumps in the paint. Each time you load the brush with paint, pull it a bit on your practice piece to ensure your brush has the right amount of paint at the right consistency. … and practice, practice, practice.

gdmn852 01-30-2024 04:55 PM

Hello, thanks to everyone who responded, will have to get that order in to finish the gas tank.

ronn 01-30-2024 07:06 PM

(You're asking for 50 years of experience in a couple of lines !!)

Im not asking- this time.

LOL