The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Labaron & Bonney don't know how to install their tops (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250047)

Flathead37 08-21-2018 01:05 PM

Labaron & Bonney don't know how to install their tops

Looking for help. I'm trying to install the top on a 33 Cabriolet and LB tech support haven't been very helpful. "We make top kits we don't install them" was the answer they gave.
Without instructions on how to put this together, im reaching out to the Barnners for help.
Any pictures of completed 33 Cabriolet tops would help. Inside, outside, header, etc.
In particular the side header assembly.

Thanks

95476 08-21-2018 01:21 PM

Re: Labaron & Bonney don't know how to install their tops

4 Attachment(s)
They are going through huge changes at L/B.
These photo's are from my '34 cabriolet.
I am not sure if '33 is the same.

englishdavid 08-21-2018 02:14 PM

I found a video online when i did mine last year, used that as a tutorial

TJ 08-21-2018 04:24 PM

They sold you a top kit without instructions? That is very unlike the LeBaron -Bonney of the old days,.

24ruxstel1339 08-21-2018 04:34 PM

My father installed a few LB tops on Ta and As, this was 30 years ago.
I don't recall instructions and do recall him cutting, sewing, stretching and cursing !!
But he also made a couple from scratch...he was good at it.
Taught himself by hanging around an upholstery shop after work.

Kerk 08-21-2018 04:37 PM

The founder would be VERY UPSET ar all that is going on or NOT GOING ON! He was a friend who I knew pretty well. Prided his upholstery kits and there quality & fit. JMOP kerk

Flathead37 08-21-2018 04:39 PM

Thank you 95476 for the pics. Very helpful.
The instructions they sent are poor and incomplete.
The kit included lift the dot fasteners but no mention of where they go.
I got no instructions for rear window placement or top boot installation.
Not sure where to put the snaps.
I'm hoping to get more pictures. Every car I've seen and have pictures of seem to have a different top than the one they sent me.

russcc 08-21-2018 07:07 PM

Someone on the barn here may have the original instructions that came with LB tops, and may be able to post them. One of the members posted a complete set of LB instructions with illustrations for installing a headliner in '40 coupe.

stangblue 08-22-2018 07:20 AM

John I will text them to you. The ones I have are for a 34 roadster.

32phil 08-22-2018 11:30 AM

I have installed several L B interior kits for both closed and open cars. In addition I have done 3 convertible tops. 2 were L B tops and 1 was for a 56 T bird. I bought some specialty tools and a good electric stapler.
I would say you have to have some innate ability to start with before you tackle a job as complex as an interior/top. I would imagine that any local shop should be able to handle your top installation. Show them the pictures of a finished top in terms of the little details, snaps etc.
If a person doesn't feel comfortable L B has a list of certified shops that will install your kit. I just had a local guy do the seats for a 32 deluxe 2 door I'm working on. He charged me $400 to install the L B kit on the 2 front seats and the rear seat cushions. We used the original seat frames/springs etc. I will install the panel set and headliner etc. myself.

95476 08-22-2018 03:13 PM

I had a local guy charge me 750.00 to put on L/B covers on a few years ago.
I watched him do much of the work. Never again.
The last 2 I did myself including the headliners with encouragement from TJ.
They came out fine.
I should have been suspicious when I asked how much the job would be and he said he didn't know.
Lucky for him I guess, he needed $750.00 to pay his rent that month.

'

supereal 08-22-2018 03:39 PM

I have used L/B successfully for years. Their kits always contained full instructions. If, for some reason, this has changed, it will likely spell the end of the firm. For years they also installed tops, so I am quite surprised they said they no longer install. As for folding tops, I use a very good local auto trim place. Getting it right takes years of experience, and one wrong cut can turn a top into junk. Other interior trim should be easy.

Tony, NY 08-22-2018 04:24 PM

This video is for a Model A, but should be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqd8SoAAMQ

Zimmco 08-25-2018 07:53 AM

I have the original 33-34 instructions (8 pages) and can send a copy. Send me a pm with your address and give me a few days to get the copies made. I can also send photos as you need them.

Al