The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A motor froze-up (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114910)

BetsyModelA 08-25-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Model A motor froze-up

Thanks Rusty. I'm not giving up yet.

BetsyModelA 08-25-2013 02:29 PM

Thanks, Bob, I'll check the MARC online.

BetsyModelA 08-25-2013 02:33 PM

Okay, I'll keep twisting, turning, rocking, squirting and pouring. Instead of shopping for a new purse, I'm going shopping for a good set of wrenches. :)

Terry, NJ 08-25-2013 07:14 PM

Betsey, I've been thinking about your car and I'd like to know if it will roll without the engine. Can you hook it up behind something and pull it? At least out of the shed/barn in neutral? Will it roll? I think I want to confirm that something else isn't stuck. Was the Emergency brake on for all that time? I think I would hitch it to a big lawn tractor or a truck and yank it out of there just to make sure the brakes aren't seized or something else. Terry
PS don't pour any more MMO into the engine, it's got enough!

BetsyModelA 08-26-2013 11:10 AM

Thank you, Terry.
It does roll in neutral. The motor is full of MMO. The emergency brake is not on. The brakes are fine.

I'm still rocking it.

ronn 08-27-2013 07:06 PM

I've enjoyed reading your post Betsy.
I am going through the same thing currently. I have freed several engines in the past and it was a piece of cake. The model A engine I am now trying to unfreeze is in the same predicament as yours. Have always had great success with ATF-not this time. Mixed it down with gas to thin it and nodda. Today I tried the boiling coke trick and nodda. Even pulled it slowly around the yard with my pu-nodda.
My next move is to empty the pan, and overfill with diesel as Bill suggests. Then I think I will take a nap for about a month and give it a go again.
Never had one this stubborn, but going to beat it. So don't give up and give it plenty of time....

Terry, NJ 08-28-2013 07:18 AM

Betsey, I assume you've been rocking back, in third gear? Try putting it in reverse. The idea being to turn the engine in the opposite direction. See if you can get a little motion out of the fan turning it backwards.
Terry

Tom Wesenberg 08-28-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry, NJ (Post 715053)
Betsey, I assume you've been rocking back, in third gear? Try putting it in reverse. The idea being to turn the engine in the opposite direction. See if you can get a little motion out of the fan turning it backwards.
Terry

By rocking the car in high gear you get the most leverage, and by rocking back and forth the crank is forced to move both directions. Low or reverse will give the crankshaft very little force.

BetsyModelA 08-28-2013 09:29 AM

Thank you, Ronn, for your encouragement. Sorry to hear you, too, are having a stubborn motor to "unfreeze." I'll keep trying. Patience and persistence. Please report when yours comes free.

BetsyModelA 08-28-2013 09:35 AM

Yes, Terry, I have been rocking it in third gear. So far, all that's happening is I get a lot of slosh coming from the gas tank. I'm wondering what's happening in there. I'm supposing I should remove that gas, perhaps even the gas tank to clean it out.

Okay, I'm getting away from where I need to be - the motor unlock. I think, for a change, I will put it in reverse. I'm trying everything suggested - short of sending it over a steep hill with a push. (That was meant to be a joke, only.) I'm afraid to pull it in gear. I don't want to hurt something else that might be stuck as well.

So, I'm rockin and a rollin. Sounds like something from the 50s. :)

Ross/Kzoo 08-28-2013 09:47 AM

Is the fan belt tight and when rocking it in 3rd gear is there any movement of the fan blade?

PS Also when moving my car it's easier to grab a tire at the 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock position and use that position for the rocking grip.

ronn 08-28-2013 02:34 PM

Tom is correct, reverse is too low a gear-keep it in 3rd.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-28-2013 04:02 PM

Betsy,
I REPEAT, keep the cylinders & crankcase filled to OVERFLOWING with diesel & let'er soak for weeks! Bill W.

BetsyModelA 08-28-2013 04:07 PM

Yes, Ross, the fan belt is tight as well. It does, however give a slight back and forth motion along with the crank when I rock Betsy back and forth. Also, for the rocking motion, I am able to grasp the spare tire holder by the left door with my right hand and grasp the headlight/horn post with my left hand and rock quite briskly. The crank gives a clunk-clunk sound as it jerks with the movement. One positive note: I'm developming a good grip in my hands with this constant activity.

BetsyModelA 08-28-2013 04:09 PM

Bill, there seems to be an overflow with only one of the spark plug holes. Should I put in more? If I thought it would help, I'd drain the MMO, put in the ATF/acetone solution, and give that mixture a try. What say you?

Ross/Kzoo 08-28-2013 04:24 PM

If you are getting some movement then that's encouraging. It should continue to get increased movement as rocking progresses.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-28-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyModelA (Post 715415)
Bill, there seems to be an overflow with only one of the spark plug holes. Should I put in more? If I thought it would help, I'd drain the MMO, put in the ATF/acetone solution, and give that mixture a try. What say you?

Yep, some cylinders will drain down because of some open valves. It's apparent that the pistons are stuck, so concentrate on keeping pouring stuff in the spark plug holes. Bill W.

Ross/Kzoo 08-28-2013 04:32 PM

Bill, sounds like you need to make a "house call". LOL

midgetracer 08-28-2013 05:16 PM

I am in Bismarck, and have 6 Model As. I also have built one of the tools that Tom describes. I may be able to come to Harvey sometime soon if you wish.

Mitch//pa 08-28-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetracer (Post 715455)
I am in Bismarck, and have 6 Model As. I also have built one of the tools that Tom describes. I may be able to come to Harvey sometime soon if you wish.

midget thanks for offering to come to the rescue and help these people out. thats what makes this forum so good is members like you. i sure hope they take you up on your offer