The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A motor froze-up (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114910)

Terry, NJ 08-23-2013 08:50 PM

Re: Model A motor froze-up

Be patient and keep trying and one day, BING!!! it will let go for you. I wouldn't take the head off just yet. The engine will still be stuck and you will have to put the head back on, A complicated process for a non mechanic. Just keep rocking it, it will break free!
Terry

CWT 08-23-2013 10:27 PM

Coca Cola Classic in the cylinders. My buddy busted a few flatheads with it loose. And I got a A motor spinning last week after using it. I didn't buy it but I tried it and it worked.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-23-2013 11:42 PM

I previously suggested to fill the crankcase & cylinders to OVERFLOWING with diesel & let it SOAK for weeks! NO ONE replied, either YEY or NAY! So, I deleted it!:mad: At least this way has a chance for the diesel to soak into ALL the internals:eek::eek: Bill W.

George Miller 08-24-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyModelA (Post 708623)
Anyone know how to "move" a froze-up motor?

Wait for warm weather.

montanafordman 08-24-2013 07:39 AM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Persistence and patience will pay off. We would love to see pictures of your Model A! I lived in Grand Forks, ND for seven years while attending UND and flight instructing and did a lot of cross country flights out near Devils Lake and your neck of the woods. I know of a couple other Model A'ers on the fordbarn from Nodak that might be able to give you a hand also. Good luck!

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 08:35 AM

Thank you, Terry, for the hope in my grueling effort.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 08:38 AM

Thank you, fordman. My aim is to see Betsy up and running one day. She's been idle a long time. I've neglected my prized old friend for too long. Now's her time. With all the suggestions I've been receiving even these dish-pan hands will see her going again. Thanks to all the interest and expert advice, we'll get her going.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 08:41 AM

Ha! George Miller.
It is in the 90s here in ND. I'd hate to see it get much warmer~with a smile.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 08:46 AM

Sorry Bill Williamson,
I must have missed your suggestion to "fill up to overflowing."
Last fall I did put about a pint of diesel fuel into the 4 spark plug holes. I left it over the winter expecting results this spring. No such luck. Since then, in my discouragement, I've left Betsy until now. I'm back with determination to get that motor loosed. My present task has me using Marvel's Miracle Oil. I have poured 2 quarts of it into the 4 spark plug holes, set the gear to high, rock Betsy back and forth with gusto. The crank handle moves slightly, but no "break-through" yet. I'll keep trying.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-24-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyModelA (Post 712415)
Sorry Bill Williamson,
Last fall I did put about a pint of diesel fuel into the 4 spark plug holes. I left it over the winter expecting results this spring. No such luck. Since then, in my discouragement, I've left Betsy until now. I'm back with determination to get that motor loosed. My present task has me using Marvel's Miracle Oil. I have poured 2 quarts of it into the 4 spark plug holes, set the gear to high, rock Betsy back and forth with gusto. The crank handle moves slightly, but no "break-through" yet. I'll keep trying.

Yo, Betsy, My ooold Remington, Model 41, Targetmaster .22 squirrel gun is named BETSY too! Anyhow, When Chief & I built my first Model A, a '28 CCPU, we were given an oooold portable arc welder, powered by an "A" motor that had been sitting for EONS! We kept it filled to overflowing with diesel for weeks & was finally able to turn it. The motor was mounted quite high & we were able to get the pan off easily. We disassembled it in place & the babbitt was excellent! After lapping the valves, honed & re-ringed the pistons, we used the rig as a test stand & ran that dude with a homemade garden hose cooling system. Chief said something about it being a REALLY EARLY engine???
It turned out to be a really good engine and in it's lifetime, I used it in 3 different Model A's.
(OH! Chief was my Dad & Model A mentor & I quote him often. He "built" dependable "A" Models in his spare time & sold them, so we could EAT!!) Bill W.

Terry, NJ 08-24-2013 02:09 PM

A couple of important questions! Does the crank handle move? How about the fan? (Someone watches while the other rocks) It sounds like you're well on the way. Did you check the oil level in the crankcase? Has any of the Marvel's Mystery Oil leaked down through the rings and into a crankcase? You should have six to seven quarts in the CC now. That's good too!
Terry (Just keep rockin")

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetsyModelA (Post 712415)
Sorry Bill Williamson,

Ross/Kzoo 08-24-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 712306)
I previously suggested to fill the crankcase & cylinders to OVERFLOWING with diesel & let it SOAK for weeks! NO ONE replied, either YEY or NAY! So, I deleted it!:mad: At least this way has a chance for the diesel to soak into ALL the internals:eek::eek: Bill W.

I posted something similar a year or so ago and it wasn't received kindly.

I don't see why you should get preferential treatment! LOL

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 05:39 PM

Wished I'd had a "Chief" to give me pointers today. When my Dad worked on Betsy, I paid no attention. My loss. I wasn't interested then.

I added more Marvel's Miracle Oil today, rocked some more, will try again. The crank moves only a little. The fan moves slightly with it.

Will keep rockin.

My husband likes to tinker too, but he's guessing right along with me.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 05:54 PM

Thanks, Charlie. I'm taking it slow and easy. The crank is quite solid, won't force anything.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 05:59 PM

How do I "drain the crankcase?"

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-24-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo (Post 712574)
I posted something similar a year or so ago and it wasn't received kindly.

I don't see why you should get preferential treatment! LOL

That's FUNNY, Ross, You're about as INSECURE as me!!
Chief used to say, "We're ALL insecure & need attention & sympathy,:( it's just that some won't admit it"!! Bill W.

Ross/Kzoo 08-24-2013 06:17 PM

Keep her rocking. Soon you will see movement growing exponentially. First 1/100th of a revolution then 1/75th then 1/25th and on and on. Sounds like it will free up!

Again, leave the plugs out of it until it spins freely with the starter.

Rusty Homestead Fl 08-24-2013 06:18 PM

Personally I'd forgo the MMO for now and use 50/50 ...ATF/acetone. It's a thinner solution that I think penetrates quicker and a proven "unsticker". I have a formally "stuck" A engine that I unstuck. I put a 3/4 inch drive, 1 7/16 socket on the crank pully (engine was on the ground) with a breaker bar and nudged it every day til it moved. 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch 1/2 inch ect. doesn't take long once you get a little movement going. It worked for me. Good luck!

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 06:51 PM

Thanks, Rusty.
Wished I'd gone the 50/50 before I did the MMO.
Now, if I can figure out how to drain out all that MMO . . .
I'm going to keep trying any "unsticker" that will possibly work.

BetsyModelA 08-24-2013 06:51 PM

Ok, Ross.