The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   First (second really) 5 main aluminum block. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277164)

Tod 02-24-2020 07:38 PM

First (second really) 5 main aluminum block.

4 Attachment(s)
OK, here we go with the first aluminum 5 main block just out of the sand. After talking to the foundry, it sounds like I need to provide for chilling a few spots, but for the first attempt in a new molding and pouring method, I think it looks pretty good. Can only get better from here on.

Tod

rotorwrench 02-24-2020 08:07 PM

Re: First (second really) 5 main aluminum block.

Welcome to the 21st Century 200 CID Ford. What a jewel. That's going to be the cat's meow for the hot rod 4-banger guys.

The Master Cylinder 02-25-2020 01:15 AM

Very Kool, Rod.

Tod 02-25-2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1855455)
Welcome to the 21st Century 200 CID Ford. What a jewel. That's going to be the cat's meow for the hot rod 4-banger guys.

Aluminum and 5 main blocks are just an aside for me (although I have dozens of people wanting these already). My main focus will be 3 main A and B journal blocks that people can use parts they already have to build. I did this just for more 5 main fun and to test my new aluminum foundry out. I think they did well. I assembled the mold Saturday morning, they poured it shortly thereafter, and Monday they had that to show me.

Tod

motordr 02-25-2020 08:56 AM

Great stuff!

Jw 02-25-2020 11:05 AM

have you considered moving the water port back by cylinder number 4 to increase cooling

Seth Swoboda 02-25-2020 11:10 AM

That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine the cost it takes to get this endevour started let alone to a final product that is marketable.

Have you considered an aluminum flathead V8 block?

Tod 02-25-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1855680)
That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine the cost it takes to get this endevour started let alone to a final product that is marketable.

Have you considered an aluminum flathead V8 block?

Cost is negligible given that I do pretty much everything myself. Don't be impressed. It is more time consuming than difficult. I've made castings that make engine blocks look like child's play. Finding time is my largest problem.

I have an 8BA model almost finished. Probably stick with iron on that, though.

Tod

Tod 02-25-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jw (Post 1855676)
have you considered moving the water port back by cylinder number 4 to increase cooling

No.

rotorwrench 02-25-2020 01:59 PM

Ford delt with cooling in the last of the flatheads by opening up the cylinder head in the back and forcing more coolant to flow back there. I don't know if I'd worry about it much. The 24 stud V8 engines all had the coolant pushed in from the front and they seemed to survive it OK. When they opened up the 8BA block in the back it was due to the larger heavier vehicles they were being used in and they did OK as well as long as all the core wire and casting sand was removed.

With the starter motor back there, it might make more problems. I'd say keep it simple.

Tod 02-27-2020 04:59 PM

I stopped by my iron foundry today while I was running some errands to look over the 3 main block they recently poured. They have not run it totally through the grinding room yet but, WOW, does it look good for an unfinished casting! I can't wait to get at machining it and getting these things into the hands of waiting customers and builders.

Tod

Lawrie 02-27-2020 05:10 PM

Good work .
Cant wait to see the 3 main iron ones.
Lawrie

Tod 02-27-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrie (Post 1856581)
Good work .
Cant wait to see the 3 main iron ones.
Lawrie

I knew you would like that. You will love what you see. I will email you pics first.

Tod

Jw 02-27-2020 05:41 PM

very impressive!

Jw 02-27-2020 05:48 PM

question. is the blocked sleeved or like the Vega blocks?

Tod 02-27-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jw (Post 1856603)
question. is the blocked sleeved or like the Vega blocks?

Aluminum use ductile sleeves. The iron blocks obviously do not use sleeves, not for another 50-75 years, anyway :)

Tod

DBrer 02-27-2020 07:12 PM

Great, I'm sure your efforts will pay off.

Tod 03-02-2020 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A picture of the 3 main A block we just cast before getting rid of the parting line flashing and gating residue. Can't wait to machine this one. Yes, that is a B head sitting next to it. Also a couple of iron Winfield heads on that skid.

We will grind off flashing etc... and then final shot blast. Then I get it here to the shop and machine it.

Tod

Tod 03-05-2020 04:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just got back from picking up some castings at the iron foundry. B heads, Winfield heads, and a 3 main A block.

Tod

Russ/40 03-05-2020 05:41 PM

Tod, I see the head gasket in photo 4. Are you an advocate of that type gasket?