The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trans oil leaking from speedo housing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270519)

fredski53 10-06-2019 03:13 PM

Trans oil leaking from speedo housing

Just added trans oil to the 30 Victoria, I might have overfilled it. Now I noticed oil dripping from the housing where the cable for the speedo screws into the trans. Is there a gasket or packing behind the screw on connector? Is this normal? Just let it drip, and it will seek the correct level of oil?

chrs1961815 10-06-2019 05:56 PM

Re: Trans oil leaking from speedo housing

Are you sure it is trans oil or could it be lubricant in the speedometer cable? Happened to me when I put graphite lubricant on the cable.

There is a gasket that is supposed to go behind it but I do not know if it is original or if it really makes any difference. How high did you fill it?

fredski53 10-06-2019 07:41 PM

I took the top off the trans and put about a quart of 60 weight in it..

redmodelt 10-06-2019 07:48 PM

Did you check at the fill plug hole for proper level? Yes there is a gasket between the speeo turtle and tube. When was the last time you added grease to the U-joint housing?

chrs1961815 10-06-2019 08:38 PM

A quart to an empty trans is not too muc, not even more than that. Something else I think.

1crosscut 10-06-2019 08:47 PM

If it started to drip only after you added the oil it seems to me that you may have filled it too full and the excess is finding its way out through the rear bearing. Pull the plug on the side of the transmission and let the excess flow out.

CWPASADENA 10-06-2019 09:25 PM

It sounds that transmission oil is leaking thru the rear main shaft bearing and into the U Joint cavity.

This will happen when there is no rear main shaft oil Baffle.

Early Mitchell Transmission used sealed main shaft bearings and after a while in use, the seals would start to leak and transmission oil would find it's way thru the rear bearing and into the U Joint cavity. If not caught in time, the transmission would run dry. Mitchell changed this design and offered a fix it kit for those already in service.

Chris W.

ryanheacox 10-06-2019 10:03 PM

Transmission takes about half a quart so it'll definitely be looking for a way out if you put in a quart.

The Master Cylinder 10-06-2019 11:35 PM

What ryanheacox said. The transmission holds 1 pint, not quart. Also you put 60 weight in it?

redmodelt 10-07-2019 12:17 AM

600w

chrs1961815 10-07-2019 06:06 AM

Whoops, I was mistaken about the pint and quart thing.

rotorwrench 10-07-2019 08:36 AM

Look at it this way, at least the U-joint got some lube too. It will find it's own level soon enough. In the mean time, just put a drip tray under it.

Purdy Swoft 10-07-2019 03:38 PM

If the vent hole on the rear of the gear shift tower of the transmission is plugged it will cause such a leak like you have . look for a hole about three sixteenths in diameter about half way up the rear of the tower . This hole vents the backend and transmission . Pressure can built after a while and the gear oil will find the easiest exit .

chrs1961815 10-07-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1807417)
If the vent hole on the rear of the gear shift tower of the transmission is plugged it will cause such a leak like you have . look for a hole about three sixteenths in diameter about half way up the rear of the tower . This hole vents the backend and transmission . Pressure can built after a while and the gear oil will find the easiest exit .

When I just rehabbed my trans, someone thought it was just a hole and plugged it with body filler. A drill bit and now no more leaks.

Purdy Swoft 10-07-2019 11:01 PM

Thanks for letting us know , I'm glad that you got it fixed .

fredski53 10-08-2019 12:57 AM

Took the fill plug out and drained the extra oil out! Next time I won't put so much in! Thanks for all the replies.

WHN 10-08-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1807457)
When I just rehabbed my trans, someone thought it was just a hole and plugged it with body filler. A drill bit and now no more leaks.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

First, I would like to give you credit for attempting this project.

Second, before any of us change anything on our cars, please understand what we are doing or could be doing.

Read the service bulletins. Read, read, read.

This is not rocket science, but you do need a fundamental understanding of what is being worked on. Enjoy.

Ed in Maine 10-08-2019 07:42 AM

You should also keep and eye on the level in the rear end. The oil may find its way back there also, get the level too high in the banjo and find its way into your rear brakes. I like to keep my rear end oil level about a 1/2 in. below the fill hole to prevent oil from getting into the brakes.