The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AA with tandem Axles (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105361)

Wick 05-06-2013 06:44 AM

AA with tandem Axles

1 Attachment(s)
There still out there!

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-06-2013 06:48 AM

Re: AA with tandem Axles

Homemade tandem axle set-up? What rear end assemblies??

lookin-backtexas 05-06-2013 06:59 AM

Wick:
I think they're cool looking but it would sure set you back having to buy 11 new tires (including spare), 11 tubes, 11 metal stems and 11 flaps.:eek:
Fred

Mike Peters 05-06-2013 07:09 AM

Those rear ends look interesting. Are they the special banjo style AA style? The front one has a through shaft running to the back differential. JS sez that these were used from Nov. 1928 to the introduction of the bevel gear 30-31 style inlate 29. Does this truck use the 1929 6 hole wheels? Wick: Some detailed photos of the rear ends would be good. Great find. Never seen one of these. Neil Wilson should get in on this.

Keith True 05-06-2013 07:33 AM

Both frames look like car frames,both the main and add-on section.Both have shocks,not a truck item.Did any AA's have transverse springs? I don't believe so,but they may have,I'm not an AA person.I have no idea who made the pass through rear,but there were some pretty crafty folks around during the war.I had a little tractor made from a T that everybody swore had to be made by a factory,but it was home made by a blacksmith here in town.

Richard Wilson 05-06-2013 07:52 AM

Wick, did you add this chassis to your collection?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-06-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 646301)
Both frames look like car frames,both the main and add-on section.Both have shocks,not a truck item.Did any AA's have transverse springs? I don't believe so,but they may have,I'm not an AA person.I have no idea who made the pass through rear,but there were some pretty crafty folks around during the war.I had a little tractor made from a T that everybody swore had to be made by a factory,but it was home made by a blacksmith here in town.

Yep, you saw the same thing I did. Looks homemade (--or Blacksmith made) and I too would like to know what they did. I got to thinking that if they took two differential housings (banjos) and split them from top to bottom, then the two front halves could be welded together to make that type of a rear end. The two axle housings would support the differential and the bolts would likely hold everything in alignment. The ingenuity that was out there back then is remarkable. Wish more of it was around these days!! :rolleyes:

Mike Peters 05-06-2013 08:27 AM

I think you guys are right. This is a homemade rig, althought there was a banjo style AA rear end that looked like a car rear end, only larger. These are car rear ends.

Wick 05-06-2013 08:36 AM

It's on Craigs List in York Pa. Keyword Model A Ford. $900.00 Has a few Pic.
I saw it this morning when I was doing my daily search.

The only things ive added to my collection is a 27T frame and a A400 windshield frame and 4 A gas tanks and 1 nos 26-27 Gas tank.
Going picking in Winchester on Saturday.
The Low mileage 4 door is still inside the trailer.
Wick

Steve Wastler 05-06-2013 12:15 PM

A coule days ago it was 1200 obo, I think it's in Hanover, thought about going for a look, but don't have the time....

Benson 05-06-2013 01:43 PM

Warford made one for AA ...

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/warfordsextette.htm

dennisonk1957 05-06-2013 02:00 PM

oh, I want it...but it is too far away!

blgitn 05-06-2013 08:05 PM

Wick,

Are you going to the Apple Blossom Meet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wick (Post 646336)
It's on Craigs List in York Pa. Keyword Model A Ford. $900.00 Has a few Pic.
I saw it this morning when I was doing my daily search.

The only things ive added to my collection is a 27T frame and a A400 windshield frame and 4 A gas tanks and 1 nos 26-27 Gas tank.
Going picking in Winchester on Saturday.
The Low mileage 4 door is still inside the trailer.
Wick

Jim Brierley 05-06-2013 08:47 PM

I saw one in Colorado several years ago that had all Ford part numbers, and was supposedly use in the building of Hoover Dam.