The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wolf Whistle (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254951)

chrs1961815 11-18-2018 04:55 PM

Wolf Whistle

I am thinking about getting a wolf whistle for my roadster, but I don't know what I should get. I know Snyder's makes a cheap reproduction but I also know there are a fair amount of originals out there. Is anybody running a repro?

Mike 11-18-2018 07:38 PM

Re: Wolf Whistle

Find an original

redmodelt 11-18-2018 07:43 PM

If you get an original make sure it has the whistle part in it. Looks like a disk with holes in it at the bottom of the bell. At least 2 years ago you could get a replacement.

harryc 11-18-2018 09:03 PM

what is an original? I have one about 50 years old from the 60's. Is it an original ?

chrs1961815 11-18-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 1697511)
what is an original? I have one about 50 years old from the 60's. Is it an original ?

I know they were being produced during the Model A era, maybe even earlier. They have been a popular accessory ever since, so one from the 60s is not technically what a model a would have had back in the day, but it probably would work.

chrs1961815 11-18-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1697487)
If you get an original make sure it has the whistle part in it. Looks like a disk with holes in it at the bottom of the bell. At least 2 years ago you could get a replacement.

Yes that is a very important part. I have checked the big names like Snyders and Brattons but they do not have any replacement parts for the whistle.

redmodelt 11-18-2018 11:24 PM

Check Speedway, I am pretty sure that is where I got mine.

Tom Wesenberg 11-18-2018 11:36 PM

In the 60's the cheap red wolf whistle was $2.98 from JC Whitney, and the deluxe one with the bellcrank to push the valve was $4.98. I bought the deluxe one and it worked well, but I had to spray lube on the whistle part about once a month, or it might not spin.

Today's repro of the deluxe whistle is about $50, and most likely made in China.

37 Coupe 11-19-2018 10:21 AM

It is funny how sometimes something will stick in your head for a lifetime whether it is factual or not. 54 years ago and I was 18 years old I was going to order a wolf whistle from J.C.Whitney to put on our newly rebuilt Model A engine and my dad nixed it. He always had this theory about exhaust and vacuum that he learned from an old mechanic,a Model T and Model A era mechanic.He believed that anything other than factory engineered exhaust back pressure would lead to premature valve damage. In theory it seemed to make sense with his comparison to a blacksmiths bellow,more air over metal more heat,red hot to white hot and exhaust back pressure,mufflers are much more than just noise suppression.Rather right or wrong I don't know but something I always think of when I see or hear a wolf whistle.I opted for the 6 volt Jubilee Bull Horn which I still have but it is on my '37 coupe.

chrs1961815 11-19-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 1697656)
It is funny how sometimes something will stick in your head for a lifetime whether it is factual or not. 54 years ago and I was 18 years old I was going to order a wolf whistle from J.C.Whitney to put on our newly rebuilt Model A engine and my dad nixed it. He always had this theory about exhaust and vacuum that he learned from an old mechanic,a Model T and Model A era mechanic.He believed that anything other than factory engineered exhaust back pressure would lead to premature valve damage. In theory it seemed to make sense with his comparison to a blacksmiths bellow,more air over metal more heat,red hot to white hot and exhaust back pressure,mufflers are much more than just noise suppression.Rather right or wrong I don't know but something I always think of when I see or hear a wolf whistle.I opted for the 6 volt Jubilee Bull Horn which I still have but it is on my '37 coupe.

Never thought of that, but it sounds right in theory. Anybody ever heard of this?

oldman - NorCal 11-19-2018 11:07 AM

…..well, I can only tell you that I have 10's of thousands of miles on my Roadster that has always had a wolf whistle on it and true, I rebuilt my engine last year but, I doubt that engaging the whistle had anything to do shortening the life of said engine.

abachman3 11-19-2018 12:35 PM

The wolf whistle works on the intake side not the exhaust side of the manifold. Shouldn't affect the exhaust. It does momentarily affect the air intake, as you are introducing more air through the whistle than without one. At idle you can hear the change in the engine speed.

davehc 11-20-2018 05:37 PM

Speedway does still have the motor / disc for the Wolf Whistle , even though I couldnt find it on their web site . here is e-mail from them about it .
You inquired about the motor for the older Wolf Whistles and they are still available under part number 91063250-3 at $9.99 each. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-979-0122 or check out our website at www.speedwaymotors.com. Let me know if we can be of further assistance and thanks again for shopping Speedway Motors

John Wulbern | Street Rod Tech
Speedway Motors
340 Victory Lane,
Lincoln, Ne. 68528
[email protected]

chrs1961815 11-20-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehc (Post 1698099)
Speedway does still have the motor / disc for the Wolf Whistle , even though I couldnt find it on their web site . here is e-mail from them about it .
You inquired about the motor for the older Wolf Whistles and they are still available under part number 91063250-3 at $9.99 each. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-979-0122 or check out our website at www.speedwaymotors.com. Let me know if we can be of further assistance and thanks again for shopping Speedway Motors

John Wulbern | Street Rod Tech
Speedway Motors
340 Victory Lane,
Lincoln, Ne. 68528
[email protected]

Good to know they still make the disc for it. I think I am going to try and hunt one down over the winter.

Stew Masche 11-20-2018 07:51 PM

I just put my fingers between my lips and let 'er rip !
Doesn't affect the engine performance one bit !
It COULD affect my driving if my wife were along....