The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hard to start. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279090)

jerry shook 04-08-2020 10:57 AM

Hard to start.

51 ford truck. Cranks easy when cold altering driving an turn it off after 10 min it just turns a lot before starting. It has an electrionic chip. Do I need to adjust carb.

Seth Swoboda 04-08-2020 11:29 AM

Re: Hard to start.

A very well tuned and efficiently working ignition system is a must. All components of the ignition system need to function 100% to eliminate hard starts, from my experience. I run a traditional points system, Skip Haney rebuilt coil, new wiring also. My distributors have been set up on a Sun machine by both Bubba and Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive.

corvette8n 04-08-2020 11:30 AM

Does it have a coil, when they get hot they can fail.
You need to trouble shoot before you go adjusting stuff.
Pick one either fuel,spark,compression, and trouble shoot each until you find the problem.

Mart 04-08-2020 11:44 AM

Sounds like the carb is over rich for some reason.

By cranks easy I suppose you mean starts easy.

Try slowly opening the throttle before trying to start. slowly enough so you don't pump even more gas down there.

Mart.

G.M. 04-08-2020 12:26 PM

Can't help you when chips are installed. Stock is nice. G.M.

FlatheadTed 04-08-2020 02:58 PM

The wrong resistance coil to match the Module ,may need a ballast , is it 12 volt

jerry shook 04-08-2020 03:46 PM

It is still 6 volt. I put the coil that is suggested for the electronic chip. Starts an runs great when cold an when you stop for 5 min just touch the button an it fires right up. but if you are 15 min it turns a lot before starting. Then it runs great. I have moved timing an adjusted carbutor still the same.

Mart 04-08-2020 03:54 PM

Does it fire up better if you open the throttle?

jerry shook 04-08-2020 05:18 PM

It is the same if you give it gas easy or continue to give it gas. Still spines a lot before starting.

FlatheadTed 04-08-2020 05:28 PM

Jerry Tyi a little gas down the carb ,see if its drain back, OK not that ,does it puff smoke out the pipe when finial fires

drolston 04-08-2020 07:09 PM

I presume you are running Pertronix ignition, which has a good reputation on 12 volts and has been very reliable on my 12 volt flathead. But Pertronix has a less reliable record on the 6 volt version. Solid state electronics get flakey if they get too hot. So starting and running with the distributor directly in the fan breeze may keep the 6 volt unit running fine. But sit for a while with no cooling and the engine heat transfers to the distributor to the point that the ignition fails. Just a theory!

This theory can be tested. Run till the engine is hot. Shut down and immediately check the spark to see if it will jump half an inch with a blue spark. Then wait 15 minutes and check it again to see if the spark is weak, like yellow spark will barely jump a quarter inch. It that is the case, swap out the Pertronix to get a more reliable unit, or go back to points.

JM 35 Sedan 04-08-2020 07:23 PM

That sounds similar to a problem I once had with excessive gas leak down from carburator into intake manifold caused by a faulty power valve, or PV seal.

Brendan 04-11-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.M. (Post 1871628)
Can't help you when chips are installed. Stock is nice. G.M.

get rid of the electronic stuff

tubman 04-11-2020 10:26 AM

From everything I have seen and heard, aftermarket electronic ignition systems have caused more problems than they have solved.:rolleyes:

Karl 04-16-2020 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1872935)
From everything I have seen and heard, aftermarket electronic ignition systems have caused more problems than they have solved.:rolleyes:

Agreed .The more I go on the more I realize that most modern improvements aren't improvements at all !