The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Isky cam (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278221)

flatjack9 03-19-2020 09:58 PM

Isky cam

Had a customer bring in an Isky Max 1 for his engine. Opened the box and no timing tag. I suppose they want you to trust that the cam is ground correctly.:):)

Dave/Green Bay 03-20-2020 08:03 AM

Re: Isky cam

Jack: Had a new Max1 for my engine. When we installed with standard cam bearings the can rattled around. Cam was 10 under on the bearing surfaces. Check carefully. Dave/Green Bay

Charlie ny 03-20-2020 10:12 AM

Dave, Jack,
The same thing happened to me only with a Winfield cam. PERMABOND

in Nevada or Utah sells under size cam bearings . A really great resource. Once
installed I had a crank grind shop grind the journals to fit.
Charlie ny

42merc 03-20-2020 10:38 AM

I believe Jack is asking about timing events rather than journal size.

flatjack9 03-20-2020 12:18 PM

I found timing specs in the Tilden website. It appears to be properly ground and the cam journals are in spec.

Ronnieroadster 03-20-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1864122)
I found timing specs in the Tilden website. It appears to be properly ground and the cam journals are in spec.

Cam specs are one thing put it in the block and check timing events then let us know what you find. Good luck
Ronnieroadster

flatjack9 03-20-2020 08:34 PM

I did. I have a spare block on my workbench that I use to check all my cams on. I do a complete plot of both the intake and exhaust lobes.

Ronnieroadster 03-20-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatjack9 (Post 1864321)
I did. I have a spare block on my workbench that I use to check all my cams on. I do a complete plot of both the intake and exhaust lobes.

Finally there getting it right. The last one i worked on a few months ago was off by 9 degrees.

glennpm 03-21-2020 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. I have a Max 1 and got this card with it many years ago. I have also posted this on this site a few times.

Glenn

RalphM 03-21-2020 10:05 AM

So I was looking at degree wheels on line, prices, and sizes are all over the place. What would be a good universal wheel for flatheads?
I have dial indicators, so I only need the wheel. And the knowledge of how to use it. :)

Ronnieroadster 03-21-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1864455)
So I was looking at degree wheels on line, prices, and sizes are all over the place. What would be a good universal wheel for flatheads?
I have dial indicators, so I only need the wheel. And the knowledge of how to use it. :)

You can use any degree wheel available all thats needed is the center hole in the wheel needs to be large enough for the crank bolt diameter. You may need to make some type of adapter to hold the wheel on center once you have it but thats relatively simple. The steps needed to degree the cam is not extremely difficult but it will take some time to get a feel for it. One important detail to remember is your checking the timing events with zero valve lash. Now some would say to check the timing event at the lifter thats ones choice however checking the actual valve movement event will show you exactly whats taking place and is much easier than trying to indicate off the lifter. Also another detail I find helpful use a very light spring to hold the valve and retainer together. The spring helps the valve on the closing side of the event follow the cam lobe. Doing all of this is best performed on the engine with just cylinder number ones piston assembly installed {i do it with no rings} and only the valves in cylinder number one. Usually when i do this on any engine it takes a number of days work checking and then correcting the cam position. Its not one of my favored jobs but its worth the effort.
Ronnieroadster

Gary troxel 03-21-2020 12:30 PM

Hey Dave we thank you for that ! Ha, Ha, Ha

deuce_roadster 03-21-2020 12:38 PM

And, if you are used to working with cams that have a timing chain---the flathead goes the other way due to the gear, IE opposite the crank. I know one person who forgot about that and it drove him crazy trying to check the flathead cam!

flatjack9 03-21-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 1864485)
You can use any degree wheel available all thats needed is the center hole in the wheel needs to be large enough for the crank bolt diameter. You may need to make some type of adapter to hold the wheel on center once you have it but thats relatively simple. The steps needed to degree the cam is not extremely difficult but it will take some time to get a feel for it. One important detail to remember is your checking the timing events with zero valve lash. Now some would say to check the timing event at the lifter thats ones choice however checking the actual valve movement event will show you exactly whats taking place and is much easier than trying to indicate off the lifter. Also another detail I find helpful use a very light spring to hold the valve and retainer together. The spring helps the valve on the closing side of the event follow the cam lobe. Doing all of this is best performed on the engine with just cylinder number ones piston assembly installed {i do it with no rings} and only the valves in cylinder number one. Usually when i do this on any engine it takes a number of days work checking and then correcting the cam position. Its not one of my favored jobs but its worth the effort.
Ronnieroadster

I install an adjustable lifter and adjust it so the valve does not seat. Easy to indicate off the top of the valve. Also, the bigger the degree wheel, the easier to read.