The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shifting fork rivet instalation... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276521)

Steve Plucker 02-08-2020 10:52 PM

Shifting fork rivet instalation...

I have assembled my transmission gearshift tower and am ready to install the rivets that go into the shifting forks.

My hands and fingers are to darn big to put those rivets in from the top to the bottom.

Is there a more simple way of doing it? I had forgot this procedure was a little hard to do!

Thanks.

Pluck

F.M. 02-08-2020 11:08 PM

Re: Shifting fork rivet instalation...

Steve, I have used roll pins in many- many of them with never a problem..

Steve Plucker 02-09-2020 12:52 AM

I think that is about what I am going to do if I can not get it the other way.

Thanks FM!

Pluck

Tom Endy 02-09-2020 03:14 AM

Make sure there are no burrs on the open end of the rivet. If reusing one grind down any of the distortions. Coat it with Vaseline. Grip it slightly with a pair of long nose vice grips. Place a pointed drift into the holes to line them up. Slip the open end of the rivet over the point of the drift and guide it in. Once it is part way in remove the vice grips and use a flat blade screwdriver to force it the rest of the way in. With the drift still in place wallow it around to expand the flange. The trick is to line up the fork and the shaft in an area where you are able to do the task. That's how I do it.

Tom Endy

Steve Plucker 02-09-2020 10:50 AM

Thanks Tom.

We will see just where today ends up...hope to get them in today.

Pluck

Russ/40 02-09-2020 11:56 AM

For those, who like me, feel more comfortable with some assurance a roll pin will never come out, safety wire the roll pin in. I just ran the wire through the roll pin and wrapped the wire through and around the closed side of the pin.

Werner 02-09-2020 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pluck,

I also had no problems inserting the pins and then riveting it flat. I sharpened the pins a little bit in the front.

Tom Endy 02-09-2020 03:21 PM

The rivet should insert from the top. Once the skirt is wallowed it won't come out. This is the way Henry did it.

Tom Endy

MAG 02-09-2020 04:02 PM

Agree with post 4 procedure. Instead of vice grips I use long handle pliers with angle tongs.

CWPASADENA 02-09-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.M. (Post 1850133)
Steve, I have used roll pins in many- many of them with never a problem..

I have been using roll pins for many years in the Model A and also the later Ford transmissions.

I have never had a problem and also, the roll pins are tighter in the holes.

A lot of modern transmissions use roll pins.

Chris W.

Steve Plucker 02-10-2020 12:23 AM

So here is an update...I got one of the pins in (with a flat head) and was able to peen over the "skirt" in the rivet. HOWEVER...it did not secure the fork to the shaft as it was to damn loose.

Those rivets I got from some repro house are a smaller size than the holes that they are to go in...going to resort to roll pins as the forks need to be tight on those shafts.

Pluck

Russ/40 02-10-2020 12:53 AM

Steve, check to be sure the holes are the same size. if the shaft and shift fork have differing holes the roll pin wont solve the looseness. You may have to increase a smaller hole.

Dan Partain 02-10-2020 03:03 AM

Steve,
I bought some new shafts and pins for a transmission top rebuild. The hole in the shaft for the pin was smaller than the original hole in the forks. The repro pin fit the hole in the shaft, but was too loose in the fork. Check an original pin against a repro pin with your digital calipers and see how they compare. This could also be your situation.
-DAN

Steve Plucker 02-10-2020 10:52 PM

A roll pin did the job...forks are very tight and used Russ's idea of wire to keep them safe!

Thanks.

Pluck